270 win bullet selection

So did you wind up with a used model 700 or a new model 70? 😆
It was new at the time, a post 64 model that was extremely accurate for the first 1000 rounds then the accuracy started dropping off. I was doing a lot of metallic silhouette shooting at the time using relatively mild loads. I queried Winchester on it and at the time (Many years ago) their response what that 1000 rounds was many generations of shooting for the average Model 70. I had the rifle re-barreled by Earl Liebetrau of Black Earth, WI using a 26 inch Obermeyer stainless match barrel chambered in 7.62 x 51. The rifle held Sub MOA groups of 0.3 on a regular basis with one slightly enlarged hole for a 3 shot groups pretty regularly. I guess how accurate the rifle was had much more to do with the amount of beer consumed the night before or coffee in the morning. The rifle could shoot better than I could, but that is true of pretty much all of my rifles.

Hello all I'm in process of working up and good load in my late grandfather 270 win that he gave to me and I'm wouldn't about what bullets to use this will be for deer from up close say 15 to 20 yards out to maybe 300 maybe more just depends. I have everything from 130 gr bullets to 150 gr bullets. What makes me hesitant about what bullets to use is in the past with any 270 I've used and people I know have used is for some reason behind shoulder shots result in no expansion and bullets go straight through and I've personally helped track more deer that had been shot with 270 and never found at anything 100 yards and in and this has been my experience more with 270 than any other cartridge. I would like to use 130 gr partition or hammer bullets of some type. What have yall had good luck with from up close to far in 270 with behind shoulder shots? Thanks
Hi buddy ,I'm a life. 270 win shooter and handlo

Hi I am a lifetime shooter and deer hunter and hand loader and general all around fan of the 270 Winchester for Deer Hhnting. This is my personal opinion and I know that several of the guys on this blog that are surely more experienced than I am are going to disagree, but here goes. My number one bullet choice for Whitetail deer between 75 and 125 yards that I have taken is the 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet. Fired at approximately 3025 to 3050 ft./second , has been extremely lethal on deer . Of the last 10 deer I shot only one needed a second shot because of me running to the deer laying on the ground far too soon. Stupid mistake on my part. I find the 130 grain ballistic tip so explosive and so shocking to the internal organs of the animal that often the lungs are completely liquefied. Never an exit Hole never trailing a wounded deer. Yes one needs to make sure you don't shoot the deer in the shoulder, but barring that, that bullet remains my number one choice for a Whitetail deer being shot at moderate ranges . I would have no problem taking a Whitetail or mule deer at 300 yards with my 270 Win load!!! Good luck with grandpa's rifle. Buddy !!

My personal experience has been that 130 grain bullet is the most accurate weight I have ever shot in 270. But that's just me. I want to shoot whatever the rifle likes best, as shot placement is my priority one. That 130 rule has held for every 270 that I ever had any dealings with, and I generally find that cheap old remington coreloks are the most accurate, or at least as accurate as any

My son shot a blacktail buck this past weekend at 175 yds. It was quartering hard to us downhill slightly. Bullet entered the neck shoulder junction blowing thru the shoulder blade complete liquidity of the near side lung. It did continue thru the paunch but didn't blow it everywhere thankfully. The stump pictured below went out the opposite flank and lodged in the muscle of the ham. The buck never moved an inch. I saw the white belly as he went over and no tracking was necessary. Hitting that neck shoulder bone did bloodshot some meat but probably 1 lb. It was text book performance.

Attachments

• 16605315588088370549374301870499.jpg
    16605315588088370549374301870499.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 54
My son shot a blacktail buck this past weekend at 175 yds. It was quartering hard to us downhill slightly. Bullet entered the neck shoulder junction blowing thru the shoulder blade complete liquidity of the near side lung. It did continue thru the paunch but didn't blow it everywhere thankfully. The stump pictured below went out the opposite flank and lodged in the muscle of the ham. The buck never moved an inch. I saw the white belly as he went over and no tracking was necessary. Hitting that neck shoulder bone did bloodshot some meat but probably 1 lb. It was text book performance.
I likely touched that bullet! It makes me feel like I was part of your hunt. Thank you!

I think you did! I specifically spoke with you about these for cow elk out of a 270 wsm. They kill beyond their light 117 grain payload for sure. We've been using them for deer, hogs and black bear in California in the 270 win and 270 wsm. Kill like lightning!

Hello all I'm in process of working up and good load in my late grandfather 270 win that he gave to me and I'm wouldn't about what bullets to use this will be for deer from up close say 15 to 20 yards out to maybe 300 maybe more just depends. I have everything from 130 gr bullets to 150 gr bullets. What makes me hesitant about what bullets to use is in the past with any 270 I've used and people I know have used is for some reason behind shoulder shots result in no expansion and bullets go straight through and I've personally helped track more deer that had been shot with 270 and never found at anything 100 yards and in and this has been my experience more with 270 than any other cartridge. I would like to use 130 gr partition or hammer bullets of some type. What have yall had good luck with from up close to far in 270 with behind shoulder shots? Thanks
I've had good luck with hand loaded 150 Grain Hornady SST projectiles doing 2930fps with either AR2213 (H4831) or Vhitavuori N560.

Thanks everyone for the info.i have on hand 130 gr patition,140 gr seirra hpbt,130 seirra game kings,140 gr classic hunter,140 gr interlocks 130 gr Speer gold dot or hot cores can't remember and maybe one or two others.also thought about trying 145 gr eld x?
If you have those on hand, I see no reason to try anything different. Those are all good bullets. Also, try high shoulder shots to anchor those deer in place instead of shooting further back.

Recent Posts