270 win bullet selection

@ Hardrock,..
My Experience was that, ( 140 grain, Cl hunt Bergers ) ARE, a HARD Bullet that, penetrates very well and NOT too, Destructive.
Worked real well at, 115 Yards on, an Elk with, a 1 1/2 inch, exit wound and about 7-8 "Fragments", in top of Lungs, that, made "Mush" out of them.
I used, a lot of Hornady, Flat Based, 150 SP's Interlocks, before that, in my .270 Wby and they worked, real well too for, Deer.
I always found that, the the Lighter Sierra Bullets, were, a Bit UN-predictable,.. in Expansion !
A 125 grain Sierra, in my ole' .30-06, "Penciled" thru, a Muley Buck and made me,.. a LONG Tracking Job !
Hornady's, WERE always,.. "Better" at killing stuff, close to,.. DRT !

Last edited:
@ Hardrock,..
My Experience was that, ( 140 grain, Cl hunt Bergers ) ARE, a HARD Bullet that, penetrates very well and NOT too, Destructive.
Worked real well at, 115 Yards on, an Elk with, a 1 1/2 inch, exit wound and about 7-8 "Fragments", in top of Lungs, that, made "Mush" out of them.
I used, a lot of Hornady, Flat Based, 150 SP's Interlocks, before that, in my .270 Wby and they worked, real well too for, Deer.
I always found that, the the Lighter Sierra Bullets, were, a Bit UN-predictable,.. in Expansion !
A 125 grain Sierra, in my ole' .30-06, "Penciled" thru, a Muley Buck and made me,.. a LONG Tracking Job !
Hornady's, WERE always,.. "Better" at killing stuff, close to,.. DRT !
I have no experience with Bergers they may be great, I also have had some crazy experiences with the Nosler Partitions , I kind of stumbled on the Hammers and got hooked.

Thanks everyone for the info.i have on hand 130 gr patition,140 gr seirra hpbt,130 seirra game kings,140 gr classic hunter,140 gr interlocks 130 gr Speer gold dot or hot cores can't remember and maybe one or two others.also thought about trying 145 gr eld x?
From 0-300 yards I'd say toss a coin and pick one. But, You could test them all and find the one the rifle likes best. A 300 yard shot with a good 270 WIN is a walk in the park.

Hello all I'm in process of working up and good load in my late grandfather 270 win that he gave to me and I'm wouldn't about what bullets to use this will be for deer from up close say 15 to 20 yards out to maybe 300 maybe more just depends. I have everything from 130 gr bullets to 150 gr bullets. What makes me hesitant about what bullets to use is in the past with any 270 I've used and people I know have used is for some reason behind shoulder shots result in no expansion and bullets go straight through and I've personally helped track more deer that had been shot with 270 and never found at anything 100 yards and in and this has been my experience more with 270 than any other cartridge. I would like to use 130 gr partition or hammer bullets of some type. What have yall had good luck with from up close to far in 270 with behind shoulder shots? Thanks
My personal favorite is the 117g Hammer Hunter. These will run about 3350 fps. I would use this combo on anything North American short of dangerous bears.

Hello all I'm in process of working up and good load in my late grandfather 270 win that he gave to me and I'm wouldn't about what bullets to use this will be for deer from up close say 15 to 20 yards out to maybe 300 maybe more just depends. I have everything from 130 gr bullets to 150 gr bullets. What makes me hesitant about what bullets to use is in the past with any 270 I've used and people I know have used is for some reason behind shoulder shots result in no expansion and bullets go straight through and I've personally helped track more deer that had been shot with 270 and never found at anything 100 yards and in and this has been my experience more with 270 than any other cartridge. I would like to use 130 gr partition or hammer bullets of some type. What have yall had good luck with from up close to far in 270 with behind shoulder shots? Thanks
I'm a 270 guy and hunt everything from predators to Elk and my preferred bullet to cover the range of animals I hunt is the 140gr Accubond!!

I am a heretic. I like the 150gr stuff in my 270. If you want an exit wound, Swift or Nosler will do you right. If you are a believer in all energy expended in the cavity, Hornady has some options like SST or the Nosler BT.

A few 270 related questions related to bullet selection-
Does barrel life in general decrease with these higher velocities (say, above 3K)? I understand that increased heat and pressure causes faster erosion.
Also, what is the expected barrel life of an average 270 rifle such as Rem, Tikka, Browning, etc. shooting standard factory copper/lead ammo?
Do mono bullets such as Barnes, Hammer, or Hornady decrease barrel life vs. cup and core bullets?

A few 270 related questions related to bullet selection-
Does barrel life in general decrease with these higher velocities (say, above 3K)? I understand that increased heat and pressure causes faster erosion.
Also, what is the expected barrel life of an average 270 rifle such as Rem, Tikka, Browning, etc. shooting standard factory copper/lead ammo?
Do mono bullets such as Barnes, Hammer, or Hornady decrease barrel life vs. cup and core bullets?

This thread is worth reading.

My opinion is no. Velocity in of it self has little or no baring on barrel life.

Our drive band design has less contact in the barrel also resulting in less wear. My opinion,.

This thread is worth reading.

My opinion is no. Velocity in of it self has little or no baring on barrel life.

Our drive band design has less contact in the barrel also resulting in less wear.
And in my experience so far HBN (hexagonal boron nitride) is one of the few products that actually does everything it's proponents claim it does. With any and all jacketed or solid copper designs. I use hbn In my 300 win mag to send a Barnes 120 tac tx (orig a .300 blackout bullet, fragments at these velocity and the solid shank keeps going, kinda like a hammer or cutting edge more thAn the traditional mushrooming Barnes) at a chronographed 4050 fps. It seriously Reduces es numbers, allows for higher velocity at equal pressures, r reduces sensitivity to seating depth, requires less frequent cleaning/reduces fouling, reduces point of impact difference between the cold bore and subsequent shots, and notably slows throat erosion. It is not acidic in any way unlike moly or tungsten disulfide. It is not hydrophilic. If done right it does not simply coat the bullet or lay on top of it, it impregnates the metal itself such that there's no worry about it rubbing off. It's seriously awesome stuff. If you're (the op and others) concerned about barrel life this is your ticket!