.270 win 150 gr Berger’s they really are accurate?

schwabdog

So I had to try these Berger bullets after seeing everyone else use them,
I bought 1 box of 100, in 270, 150 gr hunting VLD Berger's from BRT supplies.
ipone 890.jpg
I was really excited to get them and the same day I loaded 10, with the same charge as the Hornady SST 150 gr which proved to be VERRY accurate, it was very windy so I had to wait, a day, the nexd day the conditions improved.
ipone 895.jpg
And I got the best group out of my TIKKA A3 LITE I had ever had.
Just remember this group is out of a TIKKA T3 LITE gun)at 100M….
I'll have some vids up on YouTube soon….

I've had great success with them. The pic is from my Broughton-Richards barreled 270 from 2009.

150VLD270wolfload.jpg

I had my new Krieger barreled 270 out just this morning working on loads with the same bullet and H4831SC. Seems the deeper the bullet is seated, the better it gets. My groups sucked so far at 100 yards using 55.5gr and a 210M primer but I only had a few 3 shot group strings with varying seating depth.

By the time I was 0.020 off the lands, my last group, I finally shot just over 1/2" so I will load some more with the bullet seated deeper in 5 thou increments and see what happens.

Gday guys,
Im playing around with the 150sst at the moment in my tikka im seeing promise around 52.6gr going to try up to 54.5.
using rem brass 210 primers and ar2209/H4350 so im just wondering how do these 150 vlds perform on light game.

Cheers.

Well I've been using the 150GR SST for about 4 years and all I can say it's one of the best bullets out for the 270. Just today I shot a 100x100mm steel gong at 430m, 1 miss after correcting the el, 2 hits and have taken 6 Deer all with one shot, so the 150 gr Berger will NOT be replacing the HORNEDY SST as My HUNTING bullet and its ACCURET 2cm groups in no swat with the SST so you'll do fine.
Birds/Rabbits/foxes/pigs/deer/ and MANY more game I've taken with the 150 gr SST.
To the BERGERS I have not yet had a chance to try them out on game, but they seem impressive on paper, I want to make a few vids on them, and ill have to shoot some water
I'll keep you posted…….

the 150 Berger VLDs do just fine on at least 9 whitetails that used to reside in Kentucky who later moved to my freezer.

Cheers guys,
thanks for the reply sounds like the vld is worth a shot I finish sorting the sst out first then give the vld a go.
schwabdog do you mind me asking what sort of velocity are you gettinng with your tikka lite with the vld and the sst as im chasing about 2900fps if I can have got approx 2860fps with 58.5grs of 2213sc still playing with both powders ar2209 and ar2213sc may have to weigh up brass life or velocity.

Cheers Rumball.

Cheers guys,
thanks for the reply sounds like the vld is worth a shot I finish sorting the sst out first then give the vld a go.
schwabdog do you mind me asking what sort of velocity are you gettinng with your tikka lite with the vld and the sst as im chasing about 2900fps if I can have got approx 2860fps with 58.5grs of 2213sc still playing with both powders ar2209 and ar2213sc may have to weigh up brass life or velocity.

Cheers Rumball.

No worries RumBall, I'm running the SST at 2825 and have not yet tried the VLD"s YET, but they both have the same powder charge 52 gr of ADA 2209
Id dependently play around with the 150 gr SST, as a Hunting Round, CAN NOT AS ENUGH about it ;)

And I got the best group out of my TIKKA A3 LITE I had ever had.
Just remember this group is out of a TIKKA T3 LITE gun)at 100M….
I'll have some vids up on YouTube soon….

I see your Tikka having 1:10" twist. So Berger 150gr does stabilize with 1:10" ?

Thanks for very prompt response. I've just checked with Berger, and indeed they recommend 1:10" for their 150gr bullets. I've been brain washed by demand for fast twist by recent new bullets.:D

Thanks for very prompt response. I've just checked with Berger, and indeed they recommend 1:10" for their 150gr bullets. I've been brain washed by demand for fast twist by recent new bullets.:D

Very glad to help, there is a lot of BS out on the web and you'll drive yourself over the cliff
The 270 is amazing, I shot both 110 gr and 150 gr Hornedy bullets and they both shot with in 2inch of each other.
So sometimes you just have to try it (if you never go you'll never Know)

No worries RumBall, I'm running the SST at 2825 and have not yet tried the VLD"s YET, but they both have the same powder charge 52 gr of ADA 2209
Id dependently play around with the 150 gr SST, as a Hunting Round, CAN NOT AS ENUGH about it ;)

Cheers schwabdog,
thanks for the reply I will stick with the sst I think and have a play with the vlds at a later date.

Cheers Rumball.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts