.270 whitetail bullet shopping again, for the last time.

That for sure on temperature, and like wise with H4350 to IMR4350. I hunt in weather from 100+ to -20 below. I never use IMR4350 or IMR4831 from about 2000 going forward.

The Military learned its lesson with the a191
300 Mag 190 sniper round but then forgot it with the new 220 LR sniper load. One of my friends just had got in country and was getting his 300 yd zero with they came under contact. It was about 117. After a few minutes he was having to beat his bolt open with a rock.

I was using IMR4350 in about yr 2000 and working up a load for my 308 norma mag. I was getting great groups @ 100 yds in the range of about 1/2" @ 3400 pfs with a 165gr Nosler BT. Weather warmed up and High pressure came up big time. Can't remember what I did to get the bolt open, but it was tight. Primer was creator big time. Can't remember if the primer was blown out or not. Believe me I wasn't to happy about it. Getting above 70000 psi. I had 50 case loaded up. I had 49 to take apart. The weather had been about 70 and went to 100+.

Try Remington Core-Lokt 130gr SP. Been shooting them for over 55yrs. Never lost a deer, never tore up a deer and 99% of them dropped in their tracks. Family favorite for our Rem 700 270cal is 58gr H-4831 w/ standard CCI or Rem primer. Always sub MOA @ 100yds. As my beloved father always said, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"! Works great in all our .270s, 2-Rem 700s and my brother's 721.

We are rapidly approaching the possible end of Remington products altogether. Official word is that if no buyer emerges by end of September, the company is done...

We are rapidly approaching the possible end of Remington products altogether. Official word is that if no buyer emerges by end of September, the company is done...
I heard SAKO might buy and assemble tikkas in the US. Don't know how true this is. It was a few old fellas at my gun club were chatting about it.

Ok, so many years ago when I first started handloading I started off with the Nosler ballistic tip. I shot my nice buck with it perfectly broadside at 110 yards and the bullet completely exploded, it literally just made it to the vitals and that's it, the BT in my book was a varmint round, never shot another one since. I am told they made some changes to them but with all the nice bullets out there I won't give them another chance. Next up, for many years I shot the Nosler Partition. I loved the killing of that round, however I never could get it to shoot accurately out of my rifle, somewhere around 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards no matter what I tried. Next up, Speer Grand Slam. Shot many deer with great success, better accuracy, however I'm not of fan of the soft blunt lead nose that gets damaged and my hunting spots have changed over the years and I am reaching out to longer distances. Next up, the Barnes triple shock, unbelievable accuracy, honest 1 inch groups at 200 yards off a bench. Shot around 4 nice bucks with them, lost one. I will no longer shoot a solid copper. The picture perfect mushrooms in gel are all cute and all, but they don't kill deer the way the others do, some will argue but that's just the facts. I have hit deer perfectly with the Barnes and got little to no blood, deer have run off almost like they were not even hit, only to see them tip over 50-100 yards later. So, no more Barnes, and here I am now, looking again. I have thoughts on trying these options. Federal Trophy bonded tip, Hornady INTERBOND, not interlock, Nosler Accubond, and maybe even the Swift Scirocco 2. Again, this would be in the .270 Winchester round, in WI deer at ranges of 0-450 yards. I only want to do this one last time, enlighten me, give me advice, give me horror stories, tell me what to do..
Without spending a lot of money try the Speer 150 gr.SPBT with Alliant RL-26 powder

One thing you said was 450 yards. That nails it down with also not wanting soft lead tips.
Hornady 150 SST. The BC is around. 525. I actually shot it to 800 testing the bc and it was very close. It's not an expensive bullet and it's not too light for caliber. There is a lot a bullets that will kill out there but not a lot that are good for distance.

Ok, so many years ago when I first started handloading I started off with the Nosler ballistic tip. I shot my nice buck with it perfectly broadside at 110 yards and the bullet completely exploded, it literally just made it to the vitals and that's it, the BT in my book was a varmint round, never shot another one since. I am told they made some changes to them but with all the nice bullets out there I won't give them another chance. Next up, for many years I shot the Nosler Partition. I loved the killing of that round, however I never could get it to shoot accurately out of my rifle, somewhere around 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards no matter what I tried. Next up, Speer Grand Slam. Shot many deer with great success, better accuracy, however I'm not of fan of the soft blunt lead nose that gets damaged and my hunting spots have changed over the years and I am reaching out to longer distances. Next up, the Barnes triple shock, unbelievable accuracy, honest 1 inch groups at 200 yards off a bench. Shot around 4 nice bucks with them, lost one. I will no longer shoot a solid copper. The picture perfect mushrooms in gel are all cute and all, but they don't kill deer the way the others do, some will argue but that's just the facts. I have hit deer perfectly with the Barnes and got little to no blood, deer have run off almost like they were not even hit, only to see them tip over 50-100 yards later. So, no more Barnes, and here I am now, looking again. I have thoughts on trying these options. Federal Trophy bonded tip, Hornady INTERBOND, not interlock, Nosler Accubond, and maybe even the Swift Scirocco 2. Again, this would be in the .270 Winchester round, in WI deer at ranges of 0-450 yards. I only want to do this one last time, enlighten me, give me advice, give me horror stories, tell me what to do..

On your list, I would pick the Scirocco II or Accubond. Don't be bashful about seating them with long jump. I have a 30-06 that shoots 150 Accubond at 0.77 moa at 0.020" jump and 0.4 moa at 0.075" jump. Also a 300 WSM that shoots 180 Scirocco II at sub 0.5 moa at 0.060" jump.

Both with RL16 and WLRM primers.

Best wishes!

Accubond 140 grain. It's Killrr.

So you have tried bullets from soft (early Ballistic Tips) to hard (Barnes) and bullets in between. Yet, you aren't happy with any of them.

What are you wanting the bullet to do differently than the ones you have used?

Softer bullets will typically have a more dramatic effect, as in drop without moving. However, you may need to choose your shots a little more wisely. Harder bullets will typically penetrate very well, but you can expect them to travel over 100 yards. Bullets in between will typically have them running 30-100 yards.

I don't believe there is a perfect bullet for taking an animal at 50 yards with the same effect as 500 yards. Pick a bullet for average shot distance and choose your point of aim accordingly.

Good luck
Steve
Well spoken ………the gist of it.

In my life time. I have seen somewhere around 150 deer taken with 270's. They used 130 gr Sierra SPBT. Other than my 25/06 with 120 Gr Noslers (No longer being made). I seen those 270's take deer from one end to other. Those rifles were in a standard twist rate at that time. Those hand loads were at about 3000 to 3100 fps. Those shots were from 30 yds, to 300 yds. I will state that I haven't been around the 270 in a great many years, so I don't know how the bullet is construction presently. I do know if I was going to use a 270 that would be the load I would use. The most importance is shot placement. Knowing to where to place that bullet to hit the Lungs, Heart from almost any angle. Plus staying away from the guts. Now if you are going to shot long shots, then a different bullet and twist rate is need or I feel that should be.

I would get the 117gn Hammer Hunters or the 116gn Absolute Hammer. Expensive? Yes. They are noted for being easy to load and tune. The Hunter may be easier to load than the Absolute, the Absolute could gain an extra 100fps over the Hunter, and the Hunter may gain 50-100fps over other bullets because of reduced thresholds on rifle engaging.

They are all copper, but a different technology from Barnes. The petals radiate out and a cylinder core provides extra deep penetration while the petals do explosive damage. Anyway, this could be a bullet that you will never need to replace.