.270 whitetail bullet shopping again, for the last time.

So you have tried bullets from soft (early Ballistic Tips) to hard (Barnes) and bullets in between. Yet, you aren't happy with any of them.

What are you wanting the bullet to do differently than the ones you have used?

Softer bullets will typically have a more dramatic effect, as in drop without moving. However, you may need to choose your shots a little more wisely. Harder bullets will typically penetrate very well, but you can expect them to travel over 100 yards. Bullets in between will typically have them running 30-100 yards.

I don't believe there is a perfect bullet for taking an animal at 50 yards with the same effect as 500 yards. Pick a bullet for average shot distance and choose your point of aim accordingly.

Good luck
Steve
i would like to hunt the big bucks in wisconsin. southwest or any where. i can figger out my bullet. ron

I think the OP is hoping for a bolt of lightning, rather than a .277 bullet.

A couple of years ago I was hunting with a buddy in Pennsylvania one morning after 12" of fresh snow (powder). I kicked out a 100 lb doe that ran by him about 100 yards away. He shot it with a 130 gr Sierra Gameking.

After it was hit, that doe ran for 200 yards, spraying blood in both directions 30-40 ft. It looked like a mass murder, but by far the easiest tracking job ever. I swear that deer had 5 gallons of blood loss. Perfect boiler room shot - small hole in, 1" exit. I'm sure pretty much every other bullet would have done the same thing. A mortally wounded adrenaline filled deer -on its last breath - can make some distance. Unless you shoot them in the nervous system, DRT is just luck.

I also don't shoot deer in the front shoulders. Doing so, you lose 25% of the meat.

Last edited:
I like the Accubond 140, my son and I have taken 3 wall hangers with them. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the premium bullets. Some will perform better than others. I'll shoot the Accu Bonds until I find a better bullet and you can bet I'll change.

I started big game hunting in1976 and, for a reason I don't remember why, I chose Federal Premium Nosler Partitions. $7.99 for a box of 7 mags and $5.99 for a box of .270's. For 40+ years they have worked great from 10 yards out to 300 yards they worked. I retrieved some of the bullets, and they had that mushroom look just like in the ad pictures. When sighting in my rifle, I was able to consistently shoot 1MOA from 100 yards out to 400 yards (zeroed in at 200 yards). I don't know why the NPs gave you only 3MOA. Maybe someone else can help out with that issue.
A few years ago, a friend recommended Hornady 130gr SST's. So after 40 years of Nosler Partition satisfaction, I bought a box. Testing the round, it came through at sub-MOA. My first hunt with the SST resulted in a double lung shot at 320 yards. The young whitetail buck bolted a few yards and crumpled up. Exit wound was ~ 3". Last year I downed a mature cow elk with a broadside spine shot at 30 yards. DRT. Joyce Hornady said that Hornady strove for a bullet that was "Accurate, Deadly, Dependable." Don't we all want that?
Thanks to all who contributed 😊 👍 Great posts that even included ties to Moby Dick and Texas gut shot humor 😆

I use the 150 SST over 4831 SC. It has been great on Whitetails for me in my 270. Also shoots better than any factory ammo I've tried. Pencil barrel Wetherby Vanguard bedded in a laminate and it puts 3 under 3/4.
I just loaded up enough for that rifle for hunting for a long time.

I use the 150 SST over 4831 SC. It has been great on Whitetails for me in my 270. Also shoots better than any factory ammo I've tried. Pencil barrel Wetherby Vanguard bedded in a laminate and it puts 3 under 3/4.
That's a good combo, powder, bullet, and rifle. Good medicine.

I think the OP is hoping for a bolt of lightning, rather than a .277 bullet.

A couple of years ago I was hunting with a buddy in Pennsylvania one morning after 12" of fresh snow (powder). I kicked out a 100 lb doe that ran by him about 100 yards away. He shot it with a 130 gr Sierra Gameking.

After it was hit, that doe ran for 200 yards, spraying blood in both directions 30-40 ft. It looked like a mass murder, but by far the easiest tracking job ever. I swear that deer had 5 gallons of blood loss. Perfect boiler room shot - small hole in, 1" exit. I'm sure pretty much every other bullet would have done the same thing. A mortally wounded adrenaline filled deer -on its last breath - can make some distance. Unless you shoot them in the nervous system, DRT is just luck.

I also don't shoot deer in the front shoulders. Doing so, you lose 25% of the meat.
The 130 gr Sierra Gameking is the bullet I would be using. I seen the 130 Sierra hit deer from every direction. That bullet doesn't do much damage to the meat as far as blood shot goes. Second thing is I don't shot the front shoulder either. I use the crease just behind the front shoulder. To me that the magic line up and down the animal or a target line. That give you the lung, heart, backbone, and if you get back a little the liver. Anybody ever noted how the deer react being hit in the heart or liver. There is two different way the deer react to each one of those shot placement almost all the time. I had a friend hunting with me on a trip in Nev. I shot a buck when he was with me that day. I though I had hit branch somehow. The buck went around the bush and stop. I kind of wonder why the buck had stop. I put a second round into the buck. He moved forward about 20 feet stop and started to back up with it's nose to the ground laboring. He said shot again. I said no the buck was hit in the liver. He told me you can't tell me that. The first time you shot the deer kick like mule. I did note the buck ran with it it's head level with his back. The deer didn't spring like they normal do. I told my friend I wish he had told me the first how the buck reacted, I wouldn't have shot the second time. So I told him why the deer reacted with each shot placement. He quickly told me I didn't know that. As I gutted the buck out, I'd showed him where the bullet hit at. He couldn't hardly believe it. He said now I know. It will interesting see how other write about this. A lot will say I don't know what I am talking about. I will watch the post and tell it later on. P.S. it happen with all rifles for deer anyway if they don't go down to start with.

I have put down more deer with a 130gr Hornady Interbond bullet in .270Win than any other bullet and have had nothing but fantastic results. Bullet opens quick and transfers energy for quick knock downs yet holds together very well for great penetration. Less meat damage than non-bonded options. There is not a "perfect" bullet out there but you cannot go wrong with this bullet for deer in my opinion.
I would also be interested in trying the new Federal Terminal Ascent in .277 136 grain when components become available. Almost a hybrid between monolithic and bonded bullets with a solid rear shank and bonded front with pretty decent bc.

This thread obviously proves the .270 Win hasn't lost much if any interest over it's long history. Been having great success with Nosler BT's (140-150), Partitions all weights, Accubonds, and Sierra Pro-Hunters. Too many bullets out there to settle for "Just One". With Hornady, Berger, Sierra, Nosler and Speer bullets on my shelf I can pick and load for my three 270s based on their likes and on the game species. It's great having lots of choices, hope more are coming too! Would be nice if they were all available too!

I agree, when I was shooting a pre 64 Mod 70 in .270 WIn... H-48431 was my go too powder for the 150gr class bullets. Then 4831 SC came along and I started with it, honestly I couldn't see an appreciable difference, they were both great powders in my .270 WIn using the 150gr bullets of the day.

I just quit using any 130 because of bullet blow ups and no exits. The 150 SST is a really good mix of weight and expansion.
Most are down but the deer that run look they starred in Nightmare on Elm st

I agree, when I was shooting a pre 64 Mod 70 in .270 WIn... H-48431 was my go too powder for the 150gr class bullets. Then 4831 SC came along and I started with it, honestly I couldn't see an appreciable difference, they were both great powders in my .270 WIn using the 150gr bullets of the day.

I think the only difference between the two is the length of the kernels. If the long-kernel powder will all fit in the case with the load your rifle prefers, the only thing you should see different with the SC is that the case won't be as full after you put the powder in. They say that the performance should be the same. I haven't tried the SC yet, because my 30-06 cases are holding all of the old variety H4831 I need to get what I want out of it.

I think the only difference between the two is the length of the kernels. If the long-kernel powder will all fit in the case with the load your rifle prefers, the only thing you should see different with the SC is that the case won't be as full after you put the powder in. They say that the performance should be the same. I haven't tried the SC yet, because my 30-06 cases are holding all of the old variety H4831 I need to get what I want out of it.

I believe you're correct... Oh for the days again when we could order a Military surplus 50 lbs carton barrel of H-4831 at a buck a pound with freight. :cool:

If I remember correctly the SC or short cut is less effected by weather. Maybe somebody else can either back that up or better insight on this. The SC does stack better and either you can get more powder in the case. You don't compact the load as much if you are trying to get 3lbs in 2 lbs hole or having a COAL problem and compacting the powder inside the case because of bullet length.