270 Weatherby

I used 150 LRAB for plains game in Namibia with great results. I think 165s would be a great weight bullet in the 270 Weatherby but haven't tried them in either of mine, yet.

As far as I know you can. I know they are working on a new website but you can contact the owner >>> Kurtis Stoutjesdyk <[email protected]>

I have 165s but have not tried them yet. My .270 AI propels the 175 Matrix at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) with H4831SC out of 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G. Members are claiming ~100 FPS more with RL-26.
Just heard back from Ryan at Matrix. He told me that they are no longer producing bullets.

Bummer

I'll be watching this thread, just picked up a NOS Mark V Alaskan in 270 Weatherby and iim starting to work on loads.

270 Wby prefered .277 even with a new build 27 Nosler which is sweet. Just received a back order from Mattrix ( 175 VLDs ). Not sure if will use them in Bee for have been having great luck loading the Nosler 165 and Hammer 156s. For years happy with V 560 and IMR 4831 powder but hard core 270 Wby LRH members are ginning up big results with RL - 26. The heavys are fun to develop elk loads but my 270 Wby is go to rifle for big Mule deer. So far have been pretty impressed with 145 Shock Hammers and the NEW hard to find .277 Nosler 150 regular Accubond bullet.

I use Norma stamped brass, cheaper, yet the same as Weatherby stamped brass.
Mine has 1:10" twist, it really likes a diet of H1000 with 150gr Partitions, RETUMBO with 150gr ABLR and RE25 with 140gr Accubonds. Haven't really tried anything else.
I don't think I can try the 165gr, elevation here where I hunt is below 5000'.
Next barrel will get a 1:8" I think.

Cheers.

I suspect Nosler and Weatherby has manufactured their own plus used a few different suppliers like Norma and Hornady to manufacture. Seems to take a lot of research to figure whats what and gather all the same 270 Bee brass. With little to pick from anyway makes for quite the challenge.

Weatherby stamped brass is made by Norma, as is loaded ammo.
Nosler started out as Federal made, then Norma made and now made in house apparently.
I have the first boxes of Nosler brass to ever land here in 300WM, it is so soft there is no point loading it after the first firing. Sectioning it and weighing it revealed it is identical in weight and section to Federal LC10 brass I have.

Cheers.

Any thoughts on best place to get quality brass?
Bugle, I have 6 boxes of factory Weatherby brass (once fired) from the same rifle.
Jay(559)970-9501

Attachments

• 20201203_170950_001.jpg
    20201203_170950_001.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 102
Weatherby/Norma is the best you will find for Weatherby cartridges. I believe Norma makes Weatherby brass.

Just finished a build on a 270 Weatherby, 24" Carbon 6 barrel, 1:8 twist. Looking for load data with either the 165 accubond or the 170 berger. Originally I was hoping to try out the 165 matrix as well, but I think those bullets have been discontinued.
Try RL 26if you have it or can find it.
My Mcwhorter does not have the twist rate but I did try 170 Berger's and it easily hit 3000 FPS with out pushing it. But I usually don't shoot game past 600 yards so the 140 classic hunter at 3390 FPS does the trick for me.
Anyway, any info or experience with this cartridge, faster twist and heavier bullets would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.