270 Varmint Load

craigp40

Have any of you guys had luck with loading 90gr Sierra HPs in a 270 Win? I wanted to try those buggers this summer and see how they do on a nice fat groundhog. Just looking for a good powder to start with that someone else may have already gotten good accuracy from.

I tried some on paper just trying to work up a load. I called Hodgdon Powder b/c I already had some Varget on hand. They reccomended 52-56gr I belive all my books are outside at this time. I also use CCI 250 mag primers already so that is what I used (Hodgdon said that they would probably add 5-15fps over 200 primers.) Hodgdon had an estimated velocity of 3595fps.
With that load my results were about 6-7 inches high at 100 yards. Those results were out of a rifle that is zeroed at 200 yards with 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that are loaded with 58gr Hodgdon 4831sc and CCI 250 mag primers, all loads are Winchester brass.
Maybe this will help?

Shot the 90gr sierra for about 30 years in the 270. It was my choice varmint load.

Out of a 24' Douglas bbl, 53gr 4895 produced about 3400 fps or a little better. Accuracy was as good as the rifle and I could do. About 3/4".

It accounted for many a chuck/jack rabbit/coyote over the years.

It shot within one scope click of my big game load which was the 130 sierra.

Worst powders were 3030/4064/4320.

Since then I've moved to a new 27" bbl and shoot the 130 Nosler Ballistic tips for varmints and deer. Powder for this is RL-22

the very first coyote that I ever called in fell to this combination, a bit much for recoil for a varmint gun but the results are incredible. my gun preferred H414
B

I haven't use the 90 gr Sierra, but I use the 100 gr Hornady spire point for practice standing. Also I used it as my load for position shooting before I got my Remington 222 Varmit. I use the minimum load in the Hornady loading book, 50gr of IMR 4350 with a CCI 250 Primer. With my 4x scope I normally keep 10 shots in an 1 1/4 @ 100 yds off the bench. It has very light recoil.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I've got plenty of IMR 4350 and IMR4895, so I'll start with those. I'm not expecting too much in the accuracy department, as this is an old JC Higgins 270 Win that used to be my grandfather's. I spent this weekend floating the barrel and bedding the action, so it will be interesting just to see what I can squeeze out of it. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised.

You are correct Roy. It's actually a really nice rifle. Plain Jane looking, but the mauser action is pretty smooth. Only thing I hate is the safety. Whoever designed it must have had a death wish. To carry it loaded in the field is very dangerous. Just slinging it over your shoulder could knock the safety off. My father actually had it discharge on him inadvertantly once. He never used again. That's pretty much why I'm gonna use it for varmint hunting. I can load it when I'm ready to shoot. I have to clean up the bedding a little yet, but if the weather cooperates, I'm hoping to get out and see what it does next weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.