270 SS Build

wilkup

I love Rich's cartridges and have owned a couple now. I thought I'd document and share the build progress on this latest rifle. I send it off to the smith this next week to have my Brux barrel threaded, fluted, and chambered along with some metal work (removal of metal on the action similar to Barret Fieldcraft) to lighten up the PTG blueprinted M7 action. When that's complete, I will be finishing the Richards Microfit black walnut stock and sending the rifle off for nitriding after break in to finish it off.

My smith said he should be able to remove over a pound from the barrel with flutes and shortening the shank by 1.25'' and cutting to an overall length of 24.5''! My goal is to have a rifle that's under 7.5lbs ready to hunt when it's finished. It will be topped with a Leupold FX2 6x36 and Talley LW rings to keep weight down. The rifle will be throated for the 140gr Cutting Edge 140gr MTH. I plan to cut the forend on my stock back about 3'' to help get the weight down and create a sleeker looking rifle. My goal is to finish it with a hybrid look of the Manners EH4/SL. I've got quite a bit of wood to remove before it's all said and done.

What do you all think? Any ideas and comments welcome.

Attachments

• 2B4229F4-36A2-4E72-A565-E71DF85963B5.jpeg
    2B4229F4-36A2-4E72-A565-E71DF85963B5.jpeg
    696.7 KB · Views: 417
Looks good to me. I love a bit of stock work. Especially if you can get stuck into that while you're waiting on components or chambering. As the more time you can give it the better the end result.
Think I might choose a different scope if it was me, just to be a little more versatile.
Fun project though. If I was in the US it's probably what my next caliber would be.

Looks good to me. I love a bit of stock work. Especially if you can get stuck into that while you're waiting on components or chambering. As the more time you can give it the better the end result.
Think I might choose a different scope if it was me, just to be a little more versatile.
Fun project though. If I was in the US it's probably what my next caliber would be.

Where are you located?

Thanks! The reason for the scope is simplicity and weight. Pretty tough to argue with 10oz ;) and 6x will pretty much cover all of my hunting needs besides up close in the thick stuff.

Got the aluminum bottom metal from PTG this morning... I can't get over how light it is! Rifle heads to the smith this weekend and I'm crossing my fingers for his typical quick turn around times!
I'm debating on picking up a Timney trigger too, but may wait on that since it's not quite a necessity at this point.

Attachments

• 66F49A5E-355C-4114-9AD8-E339A4FCEA2C.jpeg
    66F49A5E-355C-4114-9AD8-E339A4FCEA2C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
Got the aluminum bottom metal from PTG this morning... I can't get over how light it is! Rifle heads to the smith this weekend and I'm crossing my fingers for his typical quick turn around times!
I'm debating on picking up a Timney trigger too, but may wait on that since it's not quite a necessity at this point.
That's great Wil! Who is building it? He hasn't called for the reamer yet.

That's great Wil! Who is building it? He hasn't called for the reamer yet.
I have to chat with him this weekend to figure out time frame for build and let him know how your rental system works. I don't want to set up the rental until he's ready to chamber it. You should be receiving a few of those CE bullets in the mail in the next few days ;)

Following. I got a killer deal on some Berger 170 .277 bullets....like $28 a box, so I bought 5 boxes ha ha. I will build a .270 Sherman or ss eventually.

Have you worked on a Richards micro fit before? I have done two....beautiful wood. I believe I had that same stock that I finished for my Fathers 35 Whelen AI, with rosewood tips, maple spacers and english black walnut. It took a while, but I did a hand rubbed oil finish. It came out really nice. How are you planning on finishing the stock?

I'm not sure how I'll finish it yet. I've got a good buddy who's a true old-world craftsma. He makes high end custom furniture, cabinetry, boats, etc who will be helping me finish it up. To keep it a bit more weather proof we may experiment with a final coat of varnish buffed out or a few coats of poly. My goal is to have a semi-weatherproof stock that shows off the beautiful grain and sets the rest of the rifle off. I'm also planning to hand checker it at some point too. I may add a pierce of ebony sapwood (white as a sheet) to the forend just for something unique but haven't decided yet. Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle ;)
I think I remember seeing your Whelen build awhile back.

I'm not sure how I'll finish it yet. I've got a good buddy who's a true old-world craftsma. He makes high end custom furniture, cabinetry, boats, etc who will be helping me finish it up. To keep it a bit more weather proof we may experiment with a final coat of varnish buffed out or a few coats of poly. My goal is to have a semi-weatherproof stock that shows off the beautiful grain and sets the rest of the rifle off. I'm also planning to hand checker it at some point too. I may add a pierce of ebony sapwood (white as a sheet) to the forend just for something unique but haven't decided yet. Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle ;)
I think I remember seeing your Whelen build awhile back.
Nice, that would be beautiful. From what I have researched, the only downside to a poly or varnish finish vs a hand rubbed is that if you decide down the road to refinish it, it's very challenging or impossible to do a small area or repair scratches and wear without doing the entire stock, and it may be challenging with checkering. Whereas with a hand rubbed finish, you can spot repair. At least to my understanding.....I'm by no means an expert ha ha.

Nice, that would be beautiful. From what I have researched, the only downside to a poly or varnish finish vs a hand rubbed is that if you decide down the road to refinish it, it's very challenging or impossible to do a small area or repair scratches and wear without doing the entire stock, and it may be challenging with checkering. Whereas with a hand rubbed finish, you can spot repair. At least to my understanding.....I'm by no means an expert ha ha.
Having refinished some antique doors with my wife, also a woodworker, that were smothered in varnish I can attest to the hell I'd go through attempting to refinish it lol
I figure I'll finish it up and the bumps and bruises along the way will add to the life and spark stories someday... way down the road for me ;)
I also find a nicely figured stock that's been well-used has a lot more character than a show piece that's never been fired or seen the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.