270 SS Build

Looking good!
I played with my 270ss a bit more last night and settled on a rl 23 load with the 165 matrix. Right around .5 moa with not the best shooting. Ran 3 more with magneto and came up with 3003, 3000, and 2989 fps.
Rl 23 might be a good option for your 140 class bullets too.

How's 23 compare with 26?
Looking good!
I played with my 270ss a bit more last night and settled on a rl 23 load with the 165 matrix. Right around .5 moa with not the best shooting. Ran 3 more with magneto and came up with 3003, 3000, and 2989 fps.
Rl 23 might be a good option for your 140 class bullets too.

This is with the adg brass. I'm thinking when I ran my first pressure tests with the adg it was on their first full load firing after a fireform shot that they weren't fully formed yet. The first go around gave me 2901 fps with a .2 grain less charge than the shots the other night that averaged 2997 fps and pressure was good. I haven't revisited 26 since but expect different results than from my first pressure test. I'm happy with 3000 fps and good pressure. I have noticed the barrel stays physically cooler with 23 than 26 which I'm sure would equate to more throat erosion but I'm not a scientist lol
I've had good luck with 26 and temp stability but I've read some dont like it as much as 23 or 16. I'll stick with 23 for this rifle.

Well... it's super hot this weekend and I work outside all week in it and have had enough since I'll be back in it all week long so I decided to play in the shop today.
Spent some time shaping the stock to my dimensions and am really happy with the progress I've made today. I weighed it before I began and my scale was showing 3.6lbs! At this point, I've dropped a whole pound off the stock with the work I did today and it will still require barrel inletting and significant slimming of the forend. With all the wood left to remove, I"m wondering if I can get it down to 2 lbs before it's all finished up! =)

That looks quite pretty. Which model of Richards' stock is that?

The "custom rollover"?

I sent the bolt in for nitriding but need to get this barreled action Cerakoted and am curious what y'all think...
H-Series Titanium?
Elite-Series Smoke?

I would not have a smith removing weight from the action. If you wanted a lighter action just buy a lighter action designed that way from the start. Look at the lighting cuts on the Jungle Carbines and what a dreadful effect it had. It is even worse when other's attempt to fake a Jungle Carbine. I can not imagine getting much lighter than a M7 action though or needing too. Geritol and P90X even better than machining the action lighter! That is not a joke or a barb either running, body weight exercise, weights to get ready for a hunt in the Mountain is fairly standard. Same thing for Africa getting in to shape never hurts since being fat and out of shape or skinny and out of shape always makes bad weather, high altitude, lots of activity, high heat and high humidity that much more miserable! Trust me I am fatter than I should be and I would give myself the same advice!

The barrel work all makes sense but just starting with a lighter profile would have made all of that unnecessary. Heavy barrels profiles make perfect sense for a competition gun where you might have to fire a long string with little time to cool the barrel depending on wind conditions and time left on the clock! For a medium to big game rifle it almost never makes sense unless you have someone else that carries your gear for you be it a human or a horse or motor vehicle. LOL The case can be made for a good sling and shooting sticks making some of the above a non-issue as well. I know Brux has a limit on how thin a contour they will offer but I have no clue what it is. I love Brux barrels and use nothing but on my competition rifles but not on a hunting rifle I am going to carry in the mountains or even just hilly terrain or dense woods. The older I get (45 Currently) the more stupid a heavy barrel seems on anything I am going to use to hunt deer size an larger game on foot! LOL

You are going to pay for a lot of machine time that would be unnecessary if you had just chosen a different profile maybe from another barrel maker if need be. You are going to have a Gunsmith remove metal from one of the lightest mass produced rifle actions that has already been blue printed by PTG makes no sense.You might as well cut everything off behind the locking lugs and fit a artillery canon breach with interrupted threads for the ultimate in stiffness and light weight! LOL I am joking please do not do that! For the record unlike a shorter barrel in any given profile a shorter action does not make for a stiffer action. Nothing behind the locking lugs matter's once locked in terms of stiffness. getting rid of the bolt and firing pin and the camming pressure would help but that is different from action stiffness at lock up!

You went with a wood stock which I have to say is my preference too for a hunting action. I know synthetics are more stabil, durable, and can be made lighter but they are rather ugly! If you decide to pillar and glass bed that is even more weight! I would at the very least hog that thing out and glass it completely not the modern fast, cheap, dirty skim type bedding you see so often today.

I also understand that you sometimes we buy barrels and stocks with out a need or a specific purpose in mind because a crazy good deal comes along you just can not say no! I have 8 barrels I did not need when I bought them because I got killer deals on them. I needed 2 barrels I bought 8. N+1 rings true! LOL I keep saying no to fantastic wood blanks or roughed in stock blanks because fantastic deals keep coming. So I understand!

So I went to Remingtons sight and according to them the 700 in a magnum caliper can be had in the 6 1/2 pound range if you do not get an insanely heavy stock or barrel wise. 6 1/2lbs. is not a beast at all pre scope for a magnum chambering. I did not do much research so I am sure you can do a 700 in a non-magnum even lighter from the factory and obviously more so on a semi-custom build. The Model 7's listed that they are 2 3/8 inch shorter over all than the 700 line and perfect for small stature individuals and lightning fast follow up shot but did not give an overall weight on them that I could see. I seem to recall the M7 Titanium being very light though.

I like your choices I really do but I think if you are chasing weight and you are coming in at 7.5lbs. ready to hunt in a 24.5 inch barrel and Remington M7 action you have some cognitive dissonance in total build part selection if light weight is what you wanted in a hunting rifle to carry afield. You could easily shave 2lbs. off of that with no extra machine work at all just by using a lighter barrel. You gain nothing with a heavier barrel on a medium to large game rifle accuracy wise with a heavy barrel especially not with the first shot out of a cold bore!

The Manners Hybrid is one of the ugliest stocks on earth and at $599 retail it looks cheaper than a Ramline Synthetic. Do note I am not saying there is anything wrong with it's materials or design from a technical stand point only that it is the ugliest $600 stock I have ever seen. Your stock will look much better. I hope you do not sand all the edges off of the stock to make it look like the Manners Melting Appearance. The melt down look was a cool look in the 1980's on 1911's and Browning Hi Powers not such a good look on a hunting rifles stock! I likewise hope you do not paint your stock too look like a Manners Hybrid!!! You could get some insanely nice wood even Mable with tons of figure for less than $600!

Obviously your coin you can do what you like the only person that needs to love it is you! No right or wrong for sure! I do not often build a hunting rifle with a specific weight in mind. I have to worry about weight on competition guns which means compromises all the time. I think too many people today build rifles way too heavy to be an ideal hunting rifle. You could put a 12.9lbs. barrel on a medium to large game hunting rifle and really it would not make it a better hunting rifle it would only make it heavier! Adding flutes and lightening the action would be silly in light of a 12.9lbs. barrel. I have a 12.9lbs. barrel blank. It has an OD of 1.40 straight cylinder. It is not a raw blank either it has been turned.

So do not misunderstand me! I like your build it just seems like it is trying to go in too many directions at once to me!

Have you thought about finish? I am going to try wood dyes instead of stains and then do it up in Tung Oil. Contrary to popular myth Tung Oil unlike Linseed Oil is in fact water proof it has been used for centuries in Asia to waterproof wooden boats. Unlike Linseed oil Tung Oil is hydrophobic. It is not a fast drying product and does take a lot of coats. I have used Tung Oil for about 30 years on furniture as well as boiled linseed, and French Polish but I have always used boiled linseed, Spar Varnish or French Polish on rifles. Boiled Linseed was always cheap and available every where in America. Since I kept French Polish around for antique refinishing again it was always handy. Often times I stayed with what ever a stock had already been finished with to keep things easy. Since I am starting with virgin wood I really want to see how Tung Oil just pure Tung Oil works out long term.

I look forward to seeing how she turns out and even more importantly to how she shoots! Cheer's!

I'm getting close on this build and hope to have it by elk season and late deer here.
It's currently in Texas getting the rest of the upgrades added:
- Nitrided Bolt
- All metal besides bolt is getting Cerakote Elite Midnight
- Stock is being inletted and carbon fiber bedded
When it gets back, I will finish shaping of the stock and plan to add a hardwood forend tip to accent the stock. My father had some scrap pieces of hardwood lying around that I decided I'd include on this build for sentimental reasons. I picked up a new Nikon M Tactical 3-12x44 MOA scope and Talley LW rings too. I plan to finish the stock with at least a dozen coats of Linseed Oil before clear coating and protect it with a hand-rubbed bees wax finish.
I've got a cheap 50 round box of Nosler BTs for fireforming brass and 100 CE MTHs 140s to load up once brass is ready. Can't wait to get this rifle in my hands and hunt!

That sounds nice. I have not nitrided a bolt before I have only had barrels nirtrided. With some up coming builds I am going to have the barrel and the receiver both done. Not sure if I would do the bolt.

My thoughts are thus when you build a push rod engine you either have hard push-rods and soft guides or hard guides and soft rods but never hard/hard. I could be way off on this but if the bolt is harder than the receiver than you will wear the receiver away instead of wearing the bolt lugs. A bolt is far easier to replace from a wear and tear stand point. The receiver can be re-cut on most actions their is enough meat but finding someone to do it might be hard. This is why a setback on a Mauser is not the end of the world but back when you could by them $25 who would ever pay the machining cost better to part it out and pitch the receiver and get a new one!

I am not sure you really gain anything from nitriding the bolt either sense they are not a hi wear item. On the other hand you can double sometimes more than double the life of the barrel. Down side is that when you might think about taking a 1/4-1/2 inch off each end and - and re-crowning/re-chambering years down the road that is not an option on a nitrided barrel. When I was young it was common to take a "shot-out" target gun re-chamber and re-crown the barrel and toss it on a hunting rifle, truck or tractor rifle. Often you could buy such a barrel far cheaper than even a cheap barrel and it was the best hunting rifle you ever owned etc....Once you surface harden anything to that level it is tough on tooling. So you have to pick and chose when it makes sense to do. The receiver though always make sense after it has been trued not before. Just my $.02 though YMMV!

I have actually shaped a stock similar to the Manners stock you showed. It is in Walnut though and it is for a truck rifle built on a Mauser. It will be rebarreled in 8mm Mauser in fact NOS M48 barrel. I am going to shorten it and Belgium Blue it when done. My edges are a bit crisper than the Manners. It will have a 3X9 Vari X II or III on it when done. If a friend or relative shows up and wants to go hunting with me they can use it etc. Anything well under 500m and it is just as deadly on an Elk, Black Bear or Deer as a .338 Win Magnum for instance. I seldom take shots further out than that on animals unless I just have great conditions like shooting down with decent light and plenty of grass or crops or large body of water to read the wind. If I am going to miss it is because I did not read the wind well enough 9 out of 10 times. It is also nice to have a beater you can keep in the car or truck just in case! LOL

Well, life seems to always toss curveballs. The rifle is still not completed but it arrived back here on Tuesday afternoon (Elk and Late Buck is over).
I have been spending time shaping the stock the past day in my spare time and have to say it's looking pretty sharp now. I had to remove the Monte Carlo, because it was going to require "high" rings to mount my 44mm scope. It's now straight all the way back, but I did leave the cheek rest. I also slimmed the forend down quite a bit. I think I'll leave a flat surface on the bottom to allow a better rest while prone, but it's now only about 1.5'' wide at the end.
I've also decided to finish it with Tru Oil, not Linseed, after watching many "How To's" and seeing the difference in finished product. I'm a little bummed by how long this has taken, but am excited to see the end of the tunnel!
The Cerakote and Nitriding look awesome! The CF bedding came out wonderfully and provides an incredibly snug fit!
The rifle is weighing in at 6.6lbs currently and once shaping is completed, I'm guessing I'll be right around 6.5lbs. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to take it out for lions once the snow flies over here.

Attachments

• 18D3F0D6-FBA9-4957-9950-7180CE3E0FA3.jpeg
    18D3F0D6-FBA9-4957-9950-7180CE3E0FA3.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 196
Here's some more pics with stock shaping mostly complete! I forgot I'm putting a Decelerator pad in so I'll be over 6.5lbs when it's finished, but she currently sits 6.4lbs on the head.
The balance of this rifle is the best I've ever held. I can throw it to my shoulder and hold on target without it walking anywhere on me! I guess that's what monkeying around with a stock long enough will get you.

Attachments

• 9D689698-1AA9-4AB6-B530-1E17F5C99EF9.jpeg
    9D689698-1AA9-4AB6-B530-1E17F5C99EF9.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 216
  • E754164B-F721-4540-9969-9F932099DE69.jpeg
    E754164B-F721-4540-9969-9F932099DE69.jpeg
    597.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 90B58073-4C67-429E-8A87-0746BB89D835.jpeg
    90B58073-4C67-429E-8A87-0746BB89D835.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 1F53B3AF-3525-42A8-AE32-3F2EB198A5C8.jpeg
    1F53B3AF-3525-42A8-AE32-3F2EB198A5C8.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 216
  • CBA8198F-B6E7-4C2D-B97A-5F08AF279818.jpeg
    CBA8198F-B6E7-4C2D-B97A-5F08AF279818.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 8CE12248-FBEC-421E-8D2B-EBC181EE1EC5.jpeg
    8CE12248-FBEC-421E-8D2B-EBC181EE1EC5.jpeg
    818 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.