270 SS Build

What is the length of that 140 ceb?
You will really like this cartridge!

Here are some 165 matrix at 2.960" in adg brass in my 270ss.
20180727_184510.jpg

What is the length of that 140 ceb?
You will really like this cartridge!

Here are some 165 matrix at 2.960" in adg brass in my 270ss.
View attachment 102364
The 140s measure 1.348", but the projection length is set at 0.863" (+/-0.010" cuz of their sealtite driving band), which works out perfect for my M7 mag box and the 1.95" SS case! I could push the 140gr SBT in my 7SS at 3350' and I'm hoping for at least as much performance in the 270SS, since everything I've been seeing says the CEBs are moving 75-100' faster than their traditional equivalent weights.
Those painted Matrix tips threw me for a sec lol How's the new brass testing going?

Haha I had to make them purdy for their picture! That was just a picture for myself while shooting but thought you might like to see the 165. Testing is going great! Just slow with life in the way.
It sounds like those ceb will sit perfect for you. I'd be curious as to what the bc really comes out on those.... but that could get expensive real fast lol

Haha I had to make them purdy for their picture! That was just a picture for myself while shooting but thought you might like to see the 165. Testing is going great! Just slow with life in the way.
It sounds like those ceb will sit perfect for you. I'd be curious as to what the bc really comes out on those.... but that could get expensive real fast lol
Glad to hear the testing is going well! I'm curious what the BC ends up being too. Most information I've found on them was that the BCs are typically underestimated, if different from what's been posted. The length suits my needs and I really like the theory behind their MTH design. Really hoping I get the chance to try them out on some game this season! The only down side to the CEBs is cost, but it seems all the monos are in that same $1/bullet price range.
Really looking forward to having this thing put together so I can try out some of that ADG brass ;) Thanks for the pic with the heavies, it just fuels the fire of excitement that's already burning pretty hot lol

I'm sure they are effective but the damage to the wallet keeps me away from that stuff haha
From what I've seen they have been overestimated for bc. If you run applied ballistics for your ballistics app you can go to add a bullet and they show you the bc which I believe is Litz tested and almost all of the ceb results on there from litz are much lower. The ceb site shows the 130 mth with a g1 of .540 and applied ballistics shows .444 g1.
Just something to look at and play with..

From what I've seen they have been overestimated for bc. If you run applied ballistics for your ballistics app you can go to add a bullet and they show you the bc which I believe is Litz tested and almost all of the ceb results on there from litz are much lower. The ceb site shows the 130 mth with a g1 of .540 and applied ballistics shows .444 g1.
Just something to look at and play with..
Hopefully the 140gr is not such a drastic exaggeration. I didn't see it listed on the Applied Ballistics site and don't have the app.

Hopefully it is not that bad. Comparing the numbers they list compared to Litz the majority are much lower than what's on applied ballistics. The 338 bullets seem to be very close from both sides though.

Do you have your stock yet or still have to order it? It sounds like it will be nice!

Hopefully it is not that bad. Comparing the numbers they list compared to Litz the majority are much lower than what's on applied ballistics. The 338 bullets seem to be very close from both sides though.

Do you have your stock yet or still have to order it? It sounds like it will be nice!
That's encouraging to hear the 338 numbers are close.
I have all the parts to complete my build now besides dies, rings, and optics =) The stock is pictured in my first post. Will be getting started on it as soon as I get the barreled action back.

Well... it's super hot this weekend and I work outside all week in it and have had enough since I'll be back in it all week long so I decided to play in the shop today.
Spent some time shaping the stock to my dimensions and am really happy with the progress I've made today. I weighed it before I began and my scale was showing 3.6lbs! At this point, I've dropped a whole pound off the stock with the work I did today and it will still require barrel inletting and significant slimming of the forend. With all the wood left to remove, I"m wondering if I can get it down to 2 lbs before it's all finished up! =)

Attachments

• FF135627-B88A-40E3-AAE6-B3C527937FF7.jpeg
    FF135627-B88A-40E3-AAE6-B3C527937FF7.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 203
  • CA3ABA0B-9BE9-4C44-83B6-301A20ED2FE6.jpeg
    CA3ABA0B-9BE9-4C44-83B6-301A20ED2FE6.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 218
Slow but steady progress. I got the barreled action back from my gunsmith and will be sending the rifle down to TX to have the stock inlet and to receive full length CF bedding.
My Smith did some pretty serious magic with this rifle. The barreled action was right at 7lbs when he received it and after slabbing the action, fluting the barrel and cutting the shank down he gave it back weighing just under 4lbs!
Here's some pics of the progresss.

Attachments

• 8F094DFC-7753-4EC5-9892-50BFBBA13352.jpeg
    8F094DFC-7753-4EC5-9892-50BFBBA13352.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 6D6C948E-DFB6-4871-9B78-B376DC072A2E.jpeg
    6D6C948E-DFB6-4871-9B78-B376DC072A2E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
  • 4BB39E94-F10F-4D98-893D-D7188550FCD1.jpeg
    4BB39E94-F10F-4D98-893D-D7188550FCD1.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 249
Slow but steady progress. I got the barreled action back from my gunsmith and will be sending the rifle down to TX to have the stock inlet and to receive full length CF bedding.
My Smith did some pretty serious magic with this rifle. The barreled action was right at 7lbs when he received it and after slabbing the action, fluting the barrel and cutting the shank down he gave it back weighing just under 4lbs!
Here's some pics of the progresss.

That's a major diet plan!

What do you mean?

I hadn't read the 2nd page of this thread and had written that "I'd be interested in updates" as they became available. Then I saw the 2nd page and couldn't figure out how to delete my post, so I edited it to "oops".

Anyway, awesome build. I love a nice wood stock, even better as a DIY.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.