270 special rifle

TysonLeal

I've got a M70 .270win, late 60's round feed that is one of my most important possessions. My first deer rifle (gift from my great uncle when I was 7) it's the comparison for all other rifles I raise to my shoulder. It needs to be rebarreled, currently 22" and kicks like a mule. I'm looking at 24" barrel, adding a brake and bedding. Considering 1:9 due to primarily 100% copper bullet use (live in California). I need to send this to a pro. What's a reasonable cost to complete? Any smith recommendations, I would like to use in Aug/Sept. Apprecite your feedback and recommendations.

Sounds like this is a very special rifle to you. You may want to head over to the gunsmithing forum and see what those guys can recommend for you.

Look at GA precision. They can do all that and more. Their prices are on their website. That is where I am sending my .270 they are top notch.

Hey all, thanks for the replies and PM's. Great suggestions and folks here. Deputy it is a special gun, lots of memories and from one of the best men I've ever known.

I'll post up once I've made up my mind and get it back.

Looking forward to putting it back in action. The bucks I hunt should be that much more worried about making mistake

Consider calling Steve at Hammer. He's manufacturing good quality copper bullets, and supplying rifles to launch them.
A lot of good smiths out there, and some very good ones here as sponsors.
The 1-9" twist may work for what you have in mind, but there are some bullets out there requiring 7" and 8" twist. 9" may be fine for your plans, but being sure at the start is a good thing.

I've got a M70 .270win, late 60's round feed that is one of my most important possessions. My first deer rifle (gift from my great uncle when I was 7) it's the comparison for all other rifles I raise to my shoulder. It needs to be rebarreled, currently 22" and kicks like a mule. I'm looking at 24" barrel, adding a brake and bedding. Considering 1:9 due to primarily 100% copper bullet use (live in California). I need to send this to a pro. What's a reasonable cost to complete? Any smith recommendations, I would like to use in Aug/Sept. Apprecite your feedback and recommendations.
The only person on the planet I would send a rifle that important to me to is Long Rifles, Inc. out of Sturgis, SD.

The only person on the planet I would send a rifle that important to me to is Long Rifles, Inc. out of Sturgis, SD.
If you want a turn around less than 6 months send it too Douglas Premium Barrels 580.00 will get you a xx grade stainless air gaged barrel . There phone is 304-776-1341 , I would rather have Bartlien ,proof ,etc but my last build was a 25-284 ,with a Douglas and it shoots just as good .