270 Shooters still exist????

I take my Rem700 .270win with me every time I go looking for whitetail. It's an early 70s model ADL- a few years back, I had my smith tune the trigger, blueprint and bed the action, replace the barrel with a 10 twist match grade Shillen, and recut the checkering and refinish the stock. It's about the most expensive ADL you'll ever see, but it looks 100% factory and I love it. Oh, haven't developed a hand load for it yet- the damned thing shoots factory 130 Core-Lokt under 1/2MOA. Once I exhaust my supply of those I will start working up a load since I have plenty of brass saved over the years.

My buddy still shoots a hand-me-down Rem 760 .270 that his dad bought new in the late 70's...Believe it or not, it's actually pretty **** accurate (didn't believe it till I saw it). One he gets back from vacation with his family, we're going to do some load development for with 130 Accubonds. And my brother still shoots his old hand-me-down 700 ADL .270 that his dad gave to him when he was a kid. As much as he's shot it, and as many animals as he's shot with that thing, it probably has no rifling left in the barrel. But it still shoots the old Remington Core-Lokts well, and that's what he's always hunted with.

Personally, I've always shot 7mm's since I was a kid. My first "real" deer rifle was a 7mm-08 when I was about 10 or 12, so have never seen a need to own a .277 caliber rifle.

Mcwhorter 270 wby and Feirce Ti Edge 270 wsm. Have owned a lot of 270's But this Mcwhorter is my favourite gun I've ever owned, it will consistently shoot 3.5"-5" groups at 825 yards with 140 classic hunter bergers at 3408 fps.

I just rebarreled my 270 along side a new 6.5-284

I shot more deer with the 270 than any other rifle; not for lack of owning different calibers, but simply because I always found it flat shooting and versatile. So when the barrel finally gave out, I put on a lilja, and it seems to like different powders than the old stock Rem bbl, which is good. With starting loads I am already getting good velocities, and over the course of the summer I'm sure I'll have some nice combinations worked up.

THe old bbl liked Hybrid 100v / 130 barnes and for some weird reason, it really liked varget which gave poor velocities. The new bbl already has the old one beat for velocity and accuracy with just one break-in trip to the range.

I started hunting with a 270 when I was 12 and I love it! I downgraded to a 243 last season and it'll kill a deer but it doesn't hit as hard. I started out with my dad's 270 weatherby vanguard and last season bought a 243, guess what, I bought a 270 since then. I plan to use the 270 again!

One of my first deer rifles was a Ruger M77 in .270Win. Killed a truckload of whitetails with that rifle and actually started my LR endeavor with that stick. I have to chuckle as that was before lazer RF's were common accessories and I made and used an old style farmers yardstick. Here in NC that was two tobacco sticks nailed together on one end and held 36" apart at the other end with another tobacco stick shortened and used as a brace about middle way. I used 3/8" stainless tubing for mine to prevent lifting a splinter and it was weather resistant!

My next 270 was a .270WSM in a Win70 Coyote. Nice rifle/caliber combo but I had to do alot of load development and fell outta love with it and traded it off.

Now I have a .270 Allen Magnum that easily pushes 170gn Bergers and 169.5gn Wildcat RBBT ULD's over 3400fps with a mild load of US869. It wears a 30" Lilja 3 groove w/1-8 twist. It's a beast at 14lbs naked but shoots incredibly well.

Something I've never figured is why this bullet isn't praised more. Anyone with common sense can study a machinst decimal to mm conversion chart and see that the 270 is actually a "true" 7mm. No wonder it kills so darn good! johnnyk.

My dad grew up with Remington 740 and 742s in 30-06 for when they would push the country by lining up on mile lines and walking to the next one.

When it came time for my oldest brother to buy a rifle, my dad suggested 270 win as it didn't kick as hard, shot a little flatter, and those model 70 featherweights are such nice rifles...

We have four featherweights, one WSM 700, and a custom long range model 70 push feed that will pin the tail on a gnat.

Have exclusively stuck to 130 grain SST, BT and always had good luck with them. Powders haven't seemed to really matter, but I haven't varied too far. Currently liking RL19 and how versatile that powder is for me.

It didn't hurt that in my room was shelves full of Outdoor Life books with Jack O'connor tales. For deer sized game, I think you would very hard pressed to find a better cartridge up to 500 yards.

In 2012, I re-barreled and re-chambered my .270 Win to an AI. It now sports a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G barrel + JP enterprise Beenie Cooley compensator propelling 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (had reach near 3100 FPS but group opens up and some pressure signs I can do without). It is topped with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and EGW HD 20 MOA and Horus Vision ASLI.

HF73NP2.jpg

9hofF1A.jpg

Coyote taken at 528 yards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.