270 Shooters still exist????

Model 70 classic stainless b.o.s.s....super reliable, pretty smooth, and oh so accurate....I have shot 7/8" to 11/8" groups at 500 yrds with standard factor Hornady 130 gr sst...I thought it was because of the ballistic optimising shooting system... but I took that off in place of a suppressor it did not affect my accuracy....my dad has a later model...it's not as accurate...

the GREAT 270 is like the Duracell bunny, it just keeps Marching on no matter What Flavor ya pick ,270 wcf 270 ai,270/300,270 wsm& 270 (BEE) weatherby, thks for posting & the great pixs also. Cheer's !!!

And 270 sherman! Here's some stuff shot with
IMG_2072.PNG
IMG_2087.PNG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG
mine. 100 yards, 575 yds, 430 yds and 330 yds respectively with 170 bergers.

When I was 13 years old I painted the interior of my uncles house. I was paid $100 cash and went to town and bought a marlin 30-30 for $94 plus tax. I was about $1.50 short because I hadn't taken tax into consideration. I soon discovered the various limitations of the 30-30, and after pouring over ballistic charts decided my next purchase would be the .270. My cousin was an avid hunter and subscribed to Field & Stream, Outdoor life etc. One summer he brought me over about 5 years of back issues on each and I read stories about Jack O'Connor. That solidified my decision and when I got out of school and got my first real job, I got a new 700 ADL. That was 1981 when the bolts were jeweled and slick as snot. Still have it.

Coues addict...interesting that none of those fantastic mule deer are coues!
Haha I know... I got my wife into hunting the last few years and got sidetracked with muleys. She has a somewhat short attention span so it keeps her a little more interested hunting country where you can see deer, elk and antelope all day instead of just glassing into the same dirty canyon for hours trying to turn something up. I'm headed to Mexico for a coues here in a month though if that makes you feel better:D

Love my Sako Finnlight in .270 WSM dropped in McMillan stock. Probably the single best rifle I've ever owned.

Attachments

• D087C0DC-3D28-44EB-8DB1-8A3982694ADD.jpeg
    D087C0DC-3D28-44EB-8DB1-8A3982694ADD.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 131
I got off the 270 wagon for a while. Picked up one for cheap, intention was to use it for a 6.5-06 build. It sat in the safe for over a year. I came into some odds and ends of 270 stuff from an older shooting bud. What the heck, may as well burn it up. He had some 140's and 150's in the mix,all I had ever used were 130's. Why? Because that is what everyone always told me to use.
The 150's showed promise. Enough so I went and bought another box and tried more than 4831 and 4350. R26 just came out, so I gave it a try. Speed and accuracy, what more do you want.
Rifle is still a 270 and will stay that way.
There is some discussion on R26. I have not seen any issues with what I have. Yet another younger friend started chasing my load and got pressure issues way off of where I ended up, no speed or accuracy.

How does the 170 berger do at 100yards on game?
You know it did really well. Probably silver dollar sized exit through both lungs. Jello inside but really no meat damage with the shot placement. Looked very similar to the results from mine at 575 yds with the same placement. Those were last year's deer. My wife and her sister both got some shoulder this year and we lost a little meat but not anything more than I would expect out of any other similar bullet.

You know it did really well. Probably silver dollar sized exit through both lungs. Jello inside but really no meat damage with the shot placement. Looked very similar to the results from mine at 575 yds with the same placement. Those were last year's deer. My wife and her sister both got some shoulder this year and we lost a little meat but not anything more than I would expect out of any other similar bullet.
So would feel confident if a shot came up around 50yards with the 170 bergers? And is that a pretty hot load?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.