270 ocw test

You've got some VG advice here. Especially Jud96. I can't help but Bold Face the problem with the scope. The other thing that has not been mention is the recoil lug and how it is sitting. If it is sucked down to the Bottom Metal lug it will never shoot.
I disagree with the need (MUST HAVE) for a crono. Many of us have loaded for years before a Crono ever came on the market. If you would have had a crono, the groups would not have been any different. And knowing the MV would not have helped in the research.

4350 might straighten things right out. I've never liked the OCW test. Hasn't worked for me. I just start off with a Ladder test .3 to .5 gr (depending on case size) per single round from lowest to pressure. I also shoot as far out as my scope allows me to see if I'm an issue.

Keep persisting.

Okay first off I'll admit I'm a little lost and confused but I'm going to try and help. What I would recommend doing is making sure the rifle is solid. I do this before ever doing any load development. Make sure the barrel is free floated, make sure your action screws are torqued properly, make sure nothing is bound up. Next check your scope base to make sure it's properly torqued, make sure the rings are also properly torqued. If all of that checks out, then clean your barrel and make sure it's not full of carbon or copper. Next I would try some factory loads to get a baseline for accuracy if you're new to reloading.

After you do all of that, and everything checks out, move on to load development. I would start over. I like to shoot a 10 shot pressure test that covers 4.5gr of powder. If book max is 56.1gr then load up to 57.0gr and start at 52.5gr in 0.5gr increments. Seat all bullets .020 off the lands and use the same brass, primers, powder, and bullets for all. Starting at 52.5gr shoot all 10 shots at the same point of aim at 100 yards. Stop when you hit pressure! Map your points of impact and find 3+ shots that form a group. The group doesn't have to be small, just 3 consecutive loads that hit closer than the rest. When you find that, select the middle charge weight then do a seating depth test. Load 3 rounds at each seating depth using the same powder charge for all. I like to start at .020 off and work back to .060 off in .005 steps. Shoot groups with each seating depth until you find the best group. Then go back and fine tune your powder charge using the best seating depth. Load 0.4gr below and 0.4gr above the load you selected and load in 0.2gr increments. Go shoot all of those at separate targets and look for 2-3 charge weights that hit with the same point of impact. Select the middle charge of those 2-3 then go retest and fine tune your seating depth.
Would you do this with a single powder.... Or try two groups of 10 shots with 2 different powders? Like imr4831 and rl19

Would you do this with a single powder.... Or try two groups of 10 shots with 2 different powders? Like imr4831 and rl1

Unless you want to drive yourself crazy, I strongly suggest that you stick with one powder and all the same components. Changing powders or components only ads more variables to the equation, and right now this ought to be a process of elimination and not experimentation.

Would you do this with a single powder.... Or try two groups of 10 shots with 2 different powders? Like imr4831 and rl19
As @Alibiiv said, only work with the same components at a time. Don't change powders unless you can't get good success with the powder you're using now.

I've had a lot lf advice and I'm trying to take it all in. So here is my latest test. Your opinions.....
This is a browning 270 abolt with a 22" barrel. Test shot at 100 yards. I'm using hornady 145 eld with federal large rifle primers. Federal brass trimmed to 2.53. I'm using IMR4831 powder and my seating depth is .030 off lands at 2.789

Attachments

• 20201203_115659~2.jpg
    20201203_115659~2.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 135
I've had a lot lf advice and I'm trying to take it all in. So here is my latest test. Your opinions.....
This is a browning 270 abolt with a 22" barrel. Test shot at 100 yards. I'm using hornady 145 eld with federal large rifle primers. Federal brass trimmed to 2.53. I'm using IMR4831 powder and my seating depth is .030 off lands at 2.789
What is max mag length on your rifle? browning advertises mag length at around 3.386

It seems strange you are showing 2.789 for COAL or is that wrong? That cannot be correct. Hornady ammo out of the box is 3.340 with the 145

Again, land location in magazine guns is red herring and totally meaningless? Start at max magazine COAL and work backwards. Too many guys chase lands thinking single shot BR shooting and develop a load that will not fit in the magazine. That is waste of time and components to include barrel life.

What is max mag length on your rifle? browning advertises mag length at around 3.386

It seems strange you are showing 2.789 for COAL or is that wrong? That cannot be correct. Hornady ammo out of the box is 3.340 with the 145

Again, land location in magazine guns is red herring and totally meaningless? Start at max magazine COAL and work backwards. Too many guys chase lands thinking single shot BR shooting and develop a load that will not fit in the magazine. That is waste of time and components to include barrel life.
The max mag length is correct. I measured slightly more for my mag length.

As for my measurement.... I was listing the base to ogive measurement... As long as my measurement is correct...my lands are at 2.819. So I'm .030 off them and going to work away....

You should repeat the test but shoot 3 shot groups for each charge weight. This target doesn't show you much with only one round for each charge weight. In my opinion and experience, there's just not enough conclusive evidence here.

My 2C worth. what your doing is a ladder test to try and find a Node where several see very little change in elevation or windage. But 3 shot groups in my mind is blowing a lot of components. I use 1 bullseye and shoot the complete test at it. To me, that is easier to identify a Node. Your picture looks like 53.8 to 54.4 looks like a Node.

I currently have 3 ladder tests with 3 different powders in my range box. When my knee replacement gets more healing I'll be out there. But good records must be kept.

My 2C worth. what your doing is a ladder test to try and find a Node where several see very little change in elevation or windage. But 3 shot groups in my mind is blowing a lot of components. I use 1 bullseye and shoot the complete test at it. To me, that is easier to identify a Node. Your picture looks like 53.8 to 54.4 looks like a Node.

I currently have 3 ladder tests with 3 different powders in my range box. When my knee replacement gets more healing I'll be out there. But good records must be kept.
I use one target to shoot one round each from 4.5gr below max to max in 0.5gr increments. I pick the charge weights that hit the closest and form a group then load up those in 0.2gr increments and shoot 3 shot groups in that small window I found from shoot the shots at the same target.

Have you checked your scope? Seems to me your having bigger issues than trying to find the right load or seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.