270 ocw test

Pecco22

Hey y'all. Looking for some I put. I'm loading for my browning a bolt 270. I'm using 145gn eld x and imr4831. I do not have a chrono. So I was attempting to do a ocw test. I started below book max and worked passed it slightly... But I guess I didnt see what I expected. I loaded 15 rounds.....3 for each group. I started at 55.2 and worked up in .3 increments to 56.4....book max is 56.1 I determined that 1 and 2 didn't match up with point of impact..... But 3 4 and 5 on the first shot were all within an inch....so I thought great....second time through I started with group 5 and worked down.... The second shot on 5 was great. 4 was an inch apart from the first. 3 had a huge flyier .....so at that point....i didnt want to waste primers and bullets so I shot 4 and 5 again because they looked promising.... But as you can see each of the 3rd shots for 4 and 5 went low and right.... But look similar.... Where shoukd I go from here.... I guess I didnt see the poi like I expected to see.

Attachments

• 20201128_134149~3.jpg
    20201128_134149~3.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 383
With a chrono I guess go with the best group and adjust seating depth and see if it tightens up. If not change a component, like your powder or bullet.

How far off the lands did you start?

Your gun may also not like the powder, and if you are over concerned about reloading supplies, this can cause a flinch problem, I've been through that.
If you have other powders to compare, doing the same test....

Your gun may also not like the powder, and if you are over concerned about reloading supplies, this can cause a flinch problem, I've been through that.
If you have other powders to compare, doing the same test....
I have rl19 and h4350 also

Those are both good powders, I'm running H4831 sc in all three of my 25-06 and my step sons .270
H4350 is almost as good.
I have R19 on hand but am saving it for fire forming, only got two pounds of it

Hornady don't mind a lot of jump .050-.090 is common. try setting to the standard 3.340 and try numbers 4-5 again

Was this OCW test shot at 100 yards? Those are some pretty extreme 'fliers' you have there. 🤔
Yes it was at 100. Best distance I have for right now. And yeah it was not what I expected. The first shot for group 3 4 5 where almost identical...... Then shot 2 in group 4 and 5 where decent....5 hit just next to the first. Group 4s second shot was 3/4-1" apart..... Then it went to heck

Yes it was at 100. Best distance I have for right now. And yeah it was not what I expected. The first shot for group 3 4 5 where almost identical...... Then shot 2 in group 4 and 5 where decent....5 hit just next to the first. Group 4s second shot was 3/4-1" apart..... Then it went to heck
How much experience do you have shooting and reloading? How much cooling between shots?

I would start by asking....Do you know where the other 2 holes are for group #1?

Also, for a hunting load, I start at 0.030" off the lands.

Also, quick "pro tip" I load 5 of the middle load for a 2 shot zero.....to get you close enough to not loose shots off paper.

Are you shooting mixed brass, or did you buy a bulk bag of 100 or more?

Last what are you shooting? Twist rate? Expected groups?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.