270 ocw test

I've used a lot of different powders , over the years. I've found that in my wsm's that the alliant powders work the best.. That's just my personal findings.

Yeah well I can't find primers anywhere. And from what I understand its everywhere

The problem with this whether you realize it or not you are wasting bullets, primers and powder is you do not know if the rifle is solid or not. And......... "Yeah well," isn't a very good way to start a sentence for people who are trying to help you out!! From what I have read of this thread you have received some very solid input from some very solid people who know what they are writing/talking about. It really doesn't take much effort or cost much to find out if your rifle is solid; barrel floated, everything torqued as it should be, scope mounts and scope integrity. Even if you cannot get components, I know .270 Winchester brass can be purchased, might want to try going that route also.

You've written about your loads and powder and bullets, what are you shooting these components out of? Like Deputy819 wrote those are some pretty extreme spreads and was this test shot from 100 yards? I have a 30-06 that absolutely doesn't like 4831, but shoots MOA with just about anything that I put into the casings, try a new powder. Also curious about what the performance has been using different loads/bullets/powders/factory ammo???
They are out of a browning abolt 270 with 22" barrel. However, I checked out my scope and the rings where attach to base....1 screw was loose....to the point I could turn it by fingers.... So I am hopeful that is the issue.... Group 3, second shot was way off.....low and right....so I never shot the lower powder charges....i instead shot my 3rd shot for both groups 4 and 5.....each of the 3rd shots was low and right to varrying degrees..... So I am hopeful that its not an issue with charge or powder vs the fact that the sxope came loose during my test.... It makes sense.....right....

The problem with this whether you realize it or not you are wasting bullets, primers and powder is you do not know if the rifle is solid or not. And......... "Yeah well," isn't a very good way to start a sentence for people who are trying to help you out!! From what I have read of this thread you have received some very solid input from some very solid people who know what they are writing/talking about. It really doesn't take much effort or cost much to find out if your rifle is solid; barrel floated, everything torqued as it should be, scope mounts and scope integrity. Even if you cannot get components, I know .270 Winchester brass can be purchased, might want to try going that route also.
Hey you are right... And I apologize to everyone. I didnt intend that to come across with attitude.... But its does read that way. I appreciate everyones input. As for the rifle being solid..... I know prior to scope change it could hold 1" groups or less at 100 with factory ammo.

Once again I am sorry for how my writing comes across.

Okay first off I'll admit I'm a little lost and confused but I'm going to try and help. What I would recommend doing is making sure the rifle is solid. I do this before ever doing any load development. Make sure the barrel is free floated, make sure your action screws are torqued properly, make sure nothing is bound up. Next check your scope base to make sure it's properly torqued, make sure the rings are also properly torqued. If all of that checks out, then clean your barrel and make sure it's not full of carbon or copper. Next I would try some factory loads to get a baseline for accuracy if you're new to reloading.

After you do all of that, and everything checks out, move on to load development. I would start over. I like to shoot a 10 shot pressure test that covers 4.5gr of powder. If book max is 56.1gr then load up to 57.0gr and start at 52.5gr in 0.5gr increments. Seat all bullets .020 off the lands and use the same brass, primers, powder, and bullets for all. Starting at 52.5gr shoot all 10 shots at the same point of aim at 100 yards. Stop when you hit pressure! Map your points of impact and find 3+ shots that form a group. The group doesn't have to be small, just 3 consecutive loads that hit closer than the rest. When you find that, select the middle charge weight then do a seating depth test. Load 3 rounds at each seating depth using the same powder charge for all. I like to start at .020 off and work back to .060 off in .005 steps. Shoot groups with each seating depth until you find the best group. Then go back and fine tune your powder charge using the best seating depth. Load 0.4gr below and 0.4gr above the load you selected and load in 0.2gr increments. Go shoot all of those at separate targets and look for 2-3 charge weights that hit with the same point of impact. Select the middle charge of those 2-3 then go retest and fine tune your seating depth.
Good solid advise.
2 thumbs up

Hey y'all. Looking for some I put. I'm loading for my browning a bolt 270. I'm using 145gn eld x and imr4831. I do not have a chrono. So I was attempting to do a ocw test. I started below book max and worked passed it slightly... But I guess I didnt see what I expected. I loaded 15 rounds.....3 for each group. I started at 55.2 and worked up in .3 increments to 56.4....book max is 56.1 I determined that 1 and 2 didn't match up with point of impact..... But 3 4 and 5 on the first shot were all within an inch....so I thought great....second time through I started with group 5 and worked down.... The second shot on 5 was great. 4 was an inch apart from the first. 3 had a huge flyier .....so at that point....i didnt want to waste primers and bullets so I shot 4 and 5 again because they looked promising.... But as you can see each of the 3rd shots for 4 and 5 went low and right.... But look similar.... Where shoukd I go from here.... I guess I didnt see the poi like I expected to see.
Wide range of advice here.
I totally agree with (Jud96) & (gerrybaker1960)
After 30 years of reloading I would give you the same advice.
Sometimes reloading can be really frustrating.

best of luck.

The SST and the ELD Hornady bullets take greater seating depths in my Ruger M77 .270. Try seating depths of 0.05, 0.09 and 0.140 inches off the lands and see what you get. This information is in line with Berger's recommendations if I remember correctly.

1 screw was loose....to the point I could turn it by fingers.... So I am hopeful that is the issue....
That could very well indeed have been part (or all) of the problem. OCW is actually designed to be conducted at 100 yards so you being limited to 100 yards is perfectly fine. However, the groups you posted pics of are not really indicative of 'typical' OCW groupings. I'm inclined to think (without knowing more) that there's something 'mechanically off' with fliers that extreme at 100 yards. The last time I experienced something like that the stock was to blame...the rear wood 'boss' at the rear action screw hole had split right where it 'mates' to the action and was obviously moving around every time I touched a round off. Ain't this Fun?!? 😁

UNLESS you have plenty of powder, primers and bullets you are not going to get there without a chrono either.
This is a hunting gun so going past max magazine COAL is an exercise in futility and wasting bullets to find a load that will not fit in the magazine. If short on components, suggest just going with the group that is grouping best until this shortage is over it looked to be about 1 MOA and that is good enough and was the original intent of OCW anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.