270 ocw test

I would/do set my first loads at book COL. then slowly work towards the lands. to try and find the sweet spot. some bullets like a lot of jump some not so much. some guns like heavier bullets some not. keeping all things the same like powder , primers ect. and use a led sled. I have spent untold hours trying to develop the perfect load for a gun.. don't give up , don't change to much at one time.

I would start by asking....Do you know where the other 2 holes are for group #1?

Also, for a hunting load, I start at 0.030" off the lands.

Also, quick "pro tip" I load 5 of the middle load for a 2 shot zero.....to get you close enough to not loose shots off paper.

Are you shooting mixed brass, or did you buy a bulk bag of 100 or more?

Last what are you shooting? Twist rate? Expected groups?
I honestly was trying to save primers so I didnt shoot the extra shots for group 1. It was way off from the others.... Yes I understand getting my zero..... I was on paper where I could see it....so I didn't worry to much about it because I'm working with limited supplies. I do have mixed brass...but for these shots they were all winchester brass...once fired. As for group expected...... As tight as possible...lol

I would/do set my first loads at book COL. then slowly work towards the lands. to try and find the sweet spot. some bullets like a lot of jump some not so much. some guns like heavier bullets some not. keeping all things the same like powder , primers ect. and use a led sled. I have spent untold hours trying to develop the perfect load for a gun.. don't give up , don't change to much at one time.
I dont believe I am the issue in terms of shooting. As for seating depth.....i really didnt know where to start...so what I did was find my jam length and backed off by .010.

Okay first off I'll admit I'm a little lost and confused but I'm going to try and help. What I would recommend doing is making sure the rifle is solid. I do this before ever doing any load development. Make sure the barrel is free floated, make sure your action screws are torqued properly, make sure nothing is bound up. Next check your scope base to make sure it's properly torqued, make sure the rings are also properly torqued. If all of that checks out, then clean your barrel and make sure it's not full of carbon or copper. Next I would try some factory loads to get a baseline for accuracy if you're new to reloading.

After you do all of that, and everything checks out, move on to load development. I would start over. I like to shoot a 10 shot pressure test that covers 4.5gr of powder. If book max is 56.1gr then load up to 57.0gr and start at 52.5gr in 0.5gr increments. Seat all bullets .020 off the lands and use the same brass, primers, powder, and bullets for all. Starting at 52.5gr shoot all 10 shots at the same point of aim at 100 yards. Stop when you hit pressure! Map your points of impact and find 3+ shots that form a group. The group doesn't have to be small, just 3 consecutive loads that hit closer than the rest. When you find that, select the middle charge weight then do a seating depth test. Load 3 rounds at each seating depth using the same powder charge for all. I like to start at .020 off and work back to .060 off in .005 steps. Shoot groups with each seating depth until you find the best group. Then go back and fine tune your powder charge using the best seating depth. Load 0.4gr below and 0.4gr above the load you selected and load in 0.2gr increments. Go shoot all of those at separate targets and look for 2-3 charge weights that hit with the same point of impact. Select the middle charge of those 2-3 then go retest and fine tune your seating depth.

I dont believe I am the issue in terms of shooting. As for seating depth.....i really didnt know where to start...so what I did was find my jam length and backed off by .010.
go with what Jud said and like I said slowly change things. if you are limited on supplies , its probably not a good time to try this. stick with some factory loads until you can get enough supplies.. It took me close to 60 rnds to perfect a load for my tika 270wsm. and more for my 300wsm. I wish you good luck.

go with what Jud said and like I said slowly change things. if you are limited on supplies , its probably not a good time to try this. stick with some factory loads until you can get enough supplies.. It took me close to 60 rnds to perfect a load for my tika 270wsm. and more for my 300wsm. I wish you good luck.
Yeah well I can't find primers anywhere. And from what I understand its everywhere

I feel your pain. I'm thick with primers, but that won't last for much longer.....someday they have to become in stock...

Sorry for the delay on this. It actually took me a total of 82 loads to get to this. I'm right at red line in the Hornady book , but have no signs of over pressure. The first two shots were to foul the barrel.

Attachments

• 20201109_164133.jpg
    20201109_164133.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
My best groups with Eldx came with Imr 4350 and 20 thou off. I think 2950 velocity. I shot a ton with to 26 but wasn't happy. I'd like to try them at some point with rl16 since I've had great luck with the 140 game changer. Best wishes....maybe give the h4350 a shot

Hey y'all. Looking for some I put. I'm loading for my browning a bolt 270. I'm using 145gn eld x and imr4831. I do not have a chrono. So I was attempting to do a ocw test. I started below book max and worked passed it slightly... But I guess I didnt see what I expected. I loaded 15 rounds.....3 for each group. I started at 55.2 and worked up in .3 increments to 56.4....book max is 56.1 I determined that 1 and 2 didn't match up with point of impact..... But 3 4 and 5 on the first shot were all within an inch....so I thought great....second time through I started with group 5 and worked down.... The second shot on 5 was great. 4 was an inch apart from the first. 3 had a huge flyier .....so at that point....i didnt want to waste primers and bullets so I shot 4 and 5 again because they looked promising.... But as you can see each of the 3rd shots for 4 and 5 went low and right.... But look similar.... Where shoukd I go from here.... I guess I didnt see the poi like I expected to see.
I am loading at 55g col 3.6 the speed programed on kilo is 3050ft/s to match scope sdjustment with point of impact @ 1000 yards.
Hey y'all. Looking for some I put. I'm loading for my browning a bolt 270. I'm using 145gn eld x and imr4831. I do not have a chrono. So I was attempting to do a ocw test. I started below book max and worked passed it slightly... But I guess I didnt see what I expected. I loaded 15 rounds.....3 for each group. I started at 55.2 and worked up in .3 increments to 56.4....book max is 56.1 I determined that 1 and 2 didn't match up with point of impact..... But 3 4 and 5 on the first shot were all within an inch....so I thought great....second time through I started with group 5 and worked down.... The second shot on 5 was great. 4 was an inch apart from the first. 3 had a huge flyier .....so at that point....i didnt want to waste primers and bullets so I shot 4 and 5 again because they looked promising.... But as you can see each of the 3rd shots for 4 and 5 went low and right.... But look similar.... Where shoukd I go from here.... I guess I didnt see the poi like I expected to see.
I am loading 55g COL 3.36. The speed programed on kilo is 3050ft/s to match scope adjustment at 1000 yards.24" 10 twist Custom barre from JC Custom barrels on a Remington action.

Attachments

• 20201015_155729.jpg
    20201015_155729.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 143

You've written about your loads and powder and bullets, what are you shooting these components out of? Like Deputy819 wrote those are some pretty extreme spreads and was this test shot from 100 yards? I have a 30-06 that absolutely doesn't like 4831, but shoots MOA with just about anything that I put into the casings, try a new powder. Also curious about what the performance has been using different loads/bullets/powders/factory ammo???

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.