.270 loads

gonewest

I am having a friend work me up some reloads for my .270 and things are going good but I am alittle worried because I get 3 different max loads for it in a 130 gr bullet. Plus I have read others saying that they had good luck and jack O using 60 gr. of 4831. In my one powder manual they show a max of 60 in my Nosler #6 manual they show 59 and then in a manual for strictly using .270 bullets it shows max at 56.5 all of these using 4831 I use sc . I know I will have to shoot thm but I am concerned I have some with Nosler part. some acc bond some hot core some interlock some interbond. Any recomendation or am I worring about nothing.

RE: your other post. Not sure what a hot core bullet is. The Hornady 140 BTSP is a super shooter and performer in a lot of 270 Wins.

Use RL-22 and Non mag primers.

RE: this post. The books were written by folks, I was going to say idiots but refrained, as they are mostly concerned with safety, which is a good thing.

Approach and exceed these charges with out caution!

After you get to know your rifle then the books gather more dust on the shelf.

O'Connor didn't have the powders available to us. 4831 is reliable but not a velocity producer. RL-22 is a velocity getter, is most usually accurate but a bit temperature sensitive.

Some swear by 7828ssc. Others use one of the other RL powders. RL-25 is too slow.

Non magnum primers are usually more accurate than mags. CCI-200s are an example.

I have used 130gr nosler balistic tip for 21 yrs loaded with cci 200,56.4gr imr 4350 not one complaint and I wont change that load.

Roy the hot core bullet is made by Speer. What do you mean by the R22 is temp. finicky. I thought that the 4831 on paper appeaed to give good speed. But I am willing to try something else. I shot alot of deer using 140 gr BTSP Hornady Custom loads. My guns seem to like the 130 gr. the best. I have used the H4350 on some loads do you think it as good as the IMR 4350? Thanks for the input guys

If your up to the challenge, experiment with heavier bullets (140's, or 150's) with different powder and seating depth. You may find an accurate load with them and get the bennifits of shooting a higher B.C. bullet at distance where they start to shine over the lighter, lower B.C. bullets.
130's are cookin for speed, but they loose too much ''oomph'' when they get out there a ways, and dont do much in the way of buckin the wind. Im not nockin your loads at all, so please dont take this post wrong. Im just a fan of -heavy for caliber- bullets, especially at distance.
Either way you go, light or heavy bullets, I wish you the best of luck in finding/working up that magical load for your rifle.
Im a fan of RL-19, and 140 Accubonds(fav load), and IMR 4831, and 150 Hornady's in my 270wsm. (I still have yet to try RL-19 and Hornady I.B.'s but Im gettin there).

Roy the hot core bullet is made by Speer. What do you mean by the R22 is temp. finicky. I thought that the 4831 on paper appeaed to give good speed. But I am willing to try something else. I shot alot of deer using 140 gr BTSP Hornady Custom loads. My guns seem to like the 130 gr. the best. I have used the H4350 on some loads do you think it as good as the IMR 4350? Thanks for the input guys

My defining trait, beside talkin' too much:rolleyes:, is loading for maximum velocity and accuracy. I'll sacrifice just a little accuracy, maybe as much as 1/2 MOA, for velocity. Thus I get familiar with which powder gets to the pressure limit first.

4350 is a great powder in the 270 Win. I used it for 2 decades w/the 130 Speer boat tail when I couldn't get N205 any longer. I shoot my 270 Win w/130s and 140s at around 3200 FPS MV. Actually its right at 3190. This is what I worked up with N205 and stopped at that velocity just because it was a good number, shot very accurately and case life was forever.

With 4350 and the same velocities I had to FL resize, I partial neck size for increased case volume, after 4 shots. Cases still lasted forever. But it was a max load as any more powder and it was tough to get the bolt open.

With RL-22 I load to the 3190 velocity and never look back. I switched to Nosler ballistic tips as the flat tips on the Hornady's from the magazine drives me nuts.

The 130 and 140 Noslers shoot lights out and are deadly to beyond 640 yds. That's all the farther I've shot it.

As far as temperature sensitivity goes, from summer and 80* temps to winter teens the chrony says I lost 130 FPS. I don't change charges for winter and have done in lots of yotes out to 400 yds. I have less faith in the temperature sensitivity of the cheap chrony than I do in amount of the powder's sensitivity.

What winmag says is good. I'd try some of his suggestions too except that the ol' Winny is steady as she goes and am like DANNY-L who BTW has a great load there.

If ya really want some steam try a Nosler 150 ahead of 87 grains of 7828ssc for a little better than 3600 fps. Deadly at 1400 yds gun)Which is another reason I have no reason to soup up the Winnie.

The loading manuals are made by people who print the results they got in their rifles, etc. Some use sporting rifles, some use universal receivers but they all have different rigs so the "max" loads you see only reflect those differences. YOUR rig and mine are like none of their's so our MAX may or may not be the same as theirs, this is not chemistry class in which we do "exactly this to get exactly that" results.

I know one guy who got badly blown primer pockets in a still new Win 70/22-250 with Hodgdon book midrange charges of Varget. If he had started at a presumed dummied down max load he would have surely had a bad occurance. Meaning, anyone thinking the book makers fudge the results so we will be safe is wrong! Do what the books say, "start low and only work up if no pressure signs occur" or you may get a viscious surprise.

About those 60 gr4831 loads: Back in O'Conner's day, most 4831 was surplus from WW2. The newer stuff we buy now may be slightly hotter...not much... think fresher? Anyway, 60 grs. is a Max load. I have no problems with 59.5 grs. H4831. This is a very accurate load in my Rem. 700 with 130 br. Accubonds.

Moose

Moose glad to hear your input. Have you checked the velocity on your load. I have some exact loads I want to try and I have 60 gr also. I will pay close attention but I don't think I will go any hotter. Have you tried any Hornady Interbonds? I have some of those in 130 ready to try in 59.5 and 60 gr. I'll let everyone know in a couple weeks. I hate paying to shoot at a range when I can go to my property 3 hrs. away and shoot for free.

This is then only load ive put thru a chrono, and shot in a Fclass match once :D

.270 R-P brass
59grs H4831
CCI BR2 primer
140gr Berger VLD
2971fps -/+ 4fps

Thru a factory R700 SPS 24"

No pressure signs up to 60grs H4831 in my rifle, but 59grs gave me a 3.66" group at 600yds. So i stuck with that.

Tryin to work up a load for some 150gr Bergers, but i gotta get my own Chrono.

About those 60 gr4831 loads: Back in O'Conner's day, most 4831 was surplus from WW2. The newer stuff we buy now may be slightly hotter...not much... think fresher? Anyway, 60 grs. is a Max load. I have no problems with 59.5 grs. H4831. This is a very accurate load in my Rem. 700 with 130 br. Accubonds.

Moose

I have used the surplus 4831 since I purchased my 270 25 years ago. Used it with 130, 140 & 150's. Had the best accuracy with 130 Sierras. Tried IMR4831 behind some Nosler Partitions in 150 grain last year and got the best group ever out of the same rifle. The Nosler 150s are leaving the barrel at 2950.

Gonewest: in my gun I'm getting 3125 fps with that 59.5 gr. H4831 and 130 gr. Accubonds. My wife's gun (exactly like mine) gets 3175 fps. Go figure....guess that proves not all chambers are the same dimensions.

My supply of the old H4831 went bad around 10 years ago. I had a 8 lb. "paper" container and that may have not been the way to store it. Oh well, I got it pretty cheap and was great while it lasted.

I also had a load for the 270 with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions and 55 grs. of the old H4831 that was quite accurate. Don't shoot that load anymore as I've picked up a 7mm WSM for those 160 gr. loads.

The only bullets I've used have been the Nosler Partitions and the Accubonds in my 270. I am looking at the tipped TSX's now that "unleaded" is creeping up in several hunting areas. My friend loves them in his 270 and says they're very accurate.

Moose

I've had excellent results with H4831 and almost any 130gr spitzer with 58.5 to 60 grains. I find no noticeable difference with H4831sc in my loads. The 60 gr loads usually run around 3000-3050 depending on the individual rifle. These loads are safe in my rifles and ymmv.

They also provide very good accuracy, often going 1/2" or less for 3 shots at 100 yds.

I am going to try some R19 and maybe some R22 but so far as you guys have mentioned I have been getting good groups with 130's and H4831 I still haven't shot the 59.5 and 60 gr. loads yet but will real soon. I am ancious to try the 130 gr interbond. They sureare a rel long bullet but thy look real sexy once reloaed with the red tip. HaH

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.