.270 good medicine

Draftmule

Whether it is a nostalgic thing, a dream project or meat in the freezer for some us a .270 is part of us. Now a days I pack a bulky Rum for a long poke but will never quite replace the feel of one of my many 270s. If you can relate you owe yourself to find a May 2019 issue of Shooting times and read "5 Great .270 cartridges" By Layne Simpson. Sorry I do not provide you with a direct article link but most 270 guys are great hunters and will find the article. Check it out. Best to date update on Nosler 27 and other long time favorites.

IMG_3039.JPG
Love my Xbolt in 270w

Whether it is a nostalgic thing, a dream project or meat in the freezer for some us a .270 is part of us. Now a days I pack a bulky Rum for a long poke but will never quite replace the feel of one of my many 270s. If you can relate you owe yourself to find a May 2019 issue of Shooting times and read "5 Great .270 cartridges" By Layne Simpson. Sorry I do not provide you with a direct article link but most 270 guys are great hunters and will find the article. Check it out. Best to date update on Nosler 27 and other long time favorites.

I have a .270 and can get an honest (chronographed) 3100 fps with a 130 gr. bullet. I really don't see much difference between my .270 and my 7mm Remington magnum with 140 gr. bullets . Fact is my 7mm mag has a 24" barrel and my .270 has a 22" barrel. I've been reloading since the '70's .

The 270 Win was introduced by Winchester in the model 54 in 1925 iirc. I have a 1926 Model 54 chambered for this great round which I inherited from my my wife's grandfather who passed away before I really got to know him. I know there were many PA deer & bear, WY mulies and elk taken with the rifle. The receiver was drilled and tapped for bases and optics were mounted before I received it. I had the trigger cleaned up a bit and the stock refinished in order to keep her going for another 100 years. Other than that it is all original. It currently is one of the only guns I will take into the PA woods for deer and bear. My current load is RL22 behind a 160 gr partition for 2700-2800 fps and its a tac driver. This is one I will never let go of. If I can find some of the old photos of my wife's grandfather with the rifle and the animals he took, I will post them if anyone cares to see. Will try to get a pic of the rifle itself too.

The 270 Win was introduced by Winchester in the model 54 in 1925 iirc. I have a 1926 Model 54 chambered for this great round which I inherited from my my wife's grandfather who passed away before I really got to know him. I know there were many PA deer & bear, WY mulies and elk taken with the rifle. The receiver was drilled and tapped for bases and optics we're mounted before I received it. I had the trigger cleaned up a bit and the stock refinished in order to keep her going for another 100 years. Currently it is one of the only guns I will take into the PA woods for deer and bear. My current load is RL22 behind a 160 gr partition for 2700-2800 fps and its a tac driver. This is one I will never let go of.
It's great to own a rifle of that quality and history. Congrats!

My only three rifles in the "hunting wing" of my safe anymore, all Weatherby Vanguard/Howa Actions...

.25-06
.270 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield

My .270 is my favorite and is a continuation of my "first love"... my first big game rifle was a .270 Ruger 77 red pad tang safety. It would not shoot factory ammo under 2 MOA, but seat a ballistic tip .05 off the lands and it would tighten right up and shoot sub-MOA all day long. It is what got me started with reloading also. I prefer my .270 for all around hunting. If I have to choose one rifle it's the one. I'll take it for back up to either my .30-06 or .25-06 on any trip. Elk to 400, deer and antelope to 500, Moose under 300 (Still looking for that tag draw) it can do it all and I trust it implicitly to hit where I aim every time (Same with the 25, working on the 30...).

Tried and true, easy to find ammo, lots of components and loads, economical, and all have been proven deadly in their areas. My .25-06 I would even be comfortable hunting elk with as it is so accurate, no matter what you feed it. I have yet to find a load it will not shoot sub-MOA.

In the late 90's I had considered going with a .270 Arnold Magnum, but now I realize those magnums, including the WSM, Nosler, and Weatherby, are just expensive fire breathing screaming banshees that are really unnecessary in my opinion.

What a great rifle & cartridge, actually all three. My 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard S2 shoots fantastic from a 125 at 3300fps to a 225 at 2502fps. My next caliber will be the 25-06. Like the 270 with 140's, all easy to reload & shoot. All been around for a very long time, proven, effective & efficient. Continue on for a long time.

My first rifle (~25yrs ago) and still my favorite rifle is my 270win - Rem 700 stainless drop mag with the original tupperware stock. It is stupid accurate cold bore and now wears an old McMillan stock and has an upgraded Timney trigger.

The only problem that I have had with it is my 17yr old son has declared it to also be his favorite rifle. To which problem I addressed by purchasing a pre-owned custom 270wby based on a 700 action that shoots <0.2MOA.

Count me as one of many who roots for the day that the LRH renaissance comes to the .277 so I can rationalize my 1:8 or 1:9 twist 270xxx.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.