.270 For Moose?

Here was last years bull my dad took with a 270. Win. 1 shot, went 25-35 yards and piled over! 270. Win is plenty for moose. In situations where you have to track in the thick I'd like to carry an open site 45-70, 338 win mag, 375H&H. Moose tend to walk in within 50 yards and lay down to die if the shot was in the boiler room but still enough to kill him. If you walk in and he spooks he can run with adrenaline pumping for miles through swamp and the thickest of bush. So in that case walking in with a heavy hard hitter to try and dump him if he spooks would be preferred. I'm actually looking into a 270. Wsm with the 165-170's build for moose.
35B3FA6F-A11B-4F65-964D-6BCA8BC6C224.jpeg

Lol..i know this old codger that lives in the bush in Alaska..he has been taking whatever game he has needed for the last 30 years with an 1895 Winchester chambered in 3040 kraig..1894 Winchester 3030...cap and ball walker Colt and a 58 caliber hawken muzzleloader.. moose brown bear..elk..deer.. anything he needed..i saw him drop a carabou off the back of his mule with the old 1894 3030..250 yards..so ya that 270 you have will definitely do the trick

I would not. Don't own one and don't like them. I have guns in calibers that I think would work better. Especially in Alaska.

6.5x55 Swede has killed thousands of moose.... so your 270 will do the job.
Only issue is if hunting moose in heavy bear country. May want the extra confidence of a larger caliber/magnum just in case (bear medicine).

6.5x55 Swede has killed thousands of moose.... so your 270 will do the job.
Only issue is if hunting moose in heavy bear country. May want the extra confidence of a larger caliber/magnum just in case (bear medicine).
Thats european moose
Not the bigger north american moose
270 works, 30 cal is better, 338 is better than 30

My wife has killed two 50" plus bulls with her 270...both at about 400 yards. Both went down hard. She killed her last one with a 6.5 creed. He made it two steps. Just pick your shot.

Took a Yukon bull moose in the 1300-1500 pound range (estimated) at 300 yards with hand loaded 130 gmx this past fall. Good shot placement did the trick. Next time I will probably shoot with something bigger, but 270win was plenty.

Not my 1st choice as I have better suited for the tasking but yes, however, I'll use one of the top premium bullets (140/150 gr or heavier) and try to keep it within 1500 ft-lbs of energy at point of impact (just my personal choice).

Good luck!

Ed
The .270 Win with good bullets will work just fine! ( the old 150 partitions or the new accubonds are excellent.
Use broadside chest or neck shots, placing your shots accurately from standing or sitting positions or leaning against a tree. Avoid long range plinking, ( your outfitter probably will not allow you to do so anyway). Remember on many guided hunts nowadays, if you hit an animal and draw blood, even if you never recover it, your tag will be officially filled.

Don't be so sure of that, especially the energy comment when it most certainly has much to do with what you need to properly and humanely take an animal, especially as distance increases.
Yes technically you are correct, but I think doubleaclasper is talking about sane distances, where accurate bullet placement is within the ability of most serious responsible hunters.

Recent Posts