270 for elk what power scope

thewarrior23

my buddy is going on a Elk hunt coming up.Hes using a 270 what scope magnification would be best suited and what grain bullet.

The heaviest you can shoot accurately. I'm guessing he will be shooting factory ammo, I'd look at the Hornady precision hunter 145gr. It should give you enough energy out to 500yds. Assuming this hunter is relatively inexperienced I'd opt for a BDC style reticle.

What is the budget?

Does the rifle already have a scope, or does he not have a rifle yet?

For bullet weight I would use a 150 gr bullet but i assume he will not be loading his own. So, he should start with the heaviest factory loads available and try as many as he can afford till he finds the one that shoots the best in his rifle. The Hornady precision hunter 145gr will probably be a very good option, but only his rifle will tell.

150 nosler partition or 145eldx

I killed a cow around 310 yards with the 150 NP and have taken the 145 eldx to 1100 yards on steel.

Scope 2.5 to 10 Nikon Monarch.

I think the most versatile and affordable scope magnification range is 4-14. Your buddy will never regret spending a little more money to get a better scope. For about $450 you can find a used Leupold vx3 4.5-14 Long range scope that will serve him well for just about everything.
YUP or, a 4.5X14 Burris, E1 Scope and, a 140 grain AccuBond load shoud take that, .270 to 500 Yards and still, "expand" !

In my opinion, scope magnification is less important than clarity. A 3x9 will work just fine for 90% of the shots he is likely to encounter, but if he can't get a good sight picture he'll be out of luck.
Have your buddy go to a store that has a good selection of candidates- preferably near dusk- and compare different scopes in his price range. If they will allow it, have him take them outside and site on, say, a single street sign to compare them. Everyones' eyes are different and what is a good choice for me may not be the best choice for him.
I've had good luck with Nikon and Vortex, have never owned a Leupold but heard they are fantastic. Like Tim said previously- maybe look for a deal on a good used one?
As for bullet choices, the best one is the one he can shoot the most accurately. I know a LOT of people who use 130 for elk with no problems. The key is being able to make a good shot and waiting for that right shot.

Good luck and let us know how he does!

Look thru a leupold x2 /3x9x50 with a Boone & Crocket retical ,factory fed/fusion 150"s federal premium /150 partitions ,or federals new bonded tiped bullets & if you handload 140 Barnes tsx, or 160 partitions or 150"s all proven all winners , good luck ,elk beware .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.