270 for elk what power scope

If your shooting beyond 200yds you will need adjustable parallax on anything over about 6x. Under that and your handicapping yourself The 3x15 swfa has parallax and reliable turrets. If it's a sfp you need to shoot on 15x for correct hash marks. You can however shoot on 9x using the hash marks if you double their amount meanig 1 hash means 2moa and 2 is 4moa etc etc. You would need to confirm the exact correction on the range before you took it to the field but that's simple enough.
They make a fixed 6x with the rear occular lens as the parallax adjustment as well it is under your budget price. The fixed 10x would limit you if you did any timber hunting at all. 6x will get you through a day or 2 but it is a severe compromise imho

I hunt elk with my model 70 in 270 WSM with a Steiner 2-10x scope I found on sale. Have not shot one with the Model 70, hopefully that will change this year. I reload and use the Nosler partition 150 grain bullets. Update..... Found the barrel has severe erosion and pitting etc. New barrel on order, 338 Win Mag will see duty this year with a 1917 Enfield 30-06 as backup

Last edited:
If your buddy is spending a lot of money on an elk tag and hunt, then why would he skimp on his rifle scope? I'm a believer in "buy once, cry once". Maybe start with a VX-5 2-10x42 or 3-15x42 if he's a Leupold fan.
I just got my vx5hd 3-15x44mm with impact 29 moa reticle. Was well worth it.

If your shooting beyond 200yds you will need adjustable parallax on anything over about 6x. Under that and your handicapping yourself The 3x15 swfa has parallax and reliable turrets. If it's a sfp you need to shoot on 15x for correct hash marks. You can however shoot on 9x using the hash marks if you double their amount meanig 1 hash means 2moa and 2 is 4moa etc etc. You would need to confirm the exact correction on the range before you took it to the field but that's simple enough.
They make a fixed 6x with the rear occular lens as the parallax adjustment as well it is under your budget price. The fixed 10x would limit you if you did any timber hunting at all. 6x will get you through a day or 2 but it is a severe compromise imho
My 270 win ai uses a Japanese made Weaver fixed 6x. It has good eye relief and 36mm objective.. With eye relief it comes up quickly for close and long shots.

I personally like a3.5x12x40. Or just a 3x9x40. I don't like parallax it's just another thing to mess with that can go wrong. Just my opinion

150 gr Accubond Long Range has a great BC and will do the job or go with partitions or Hornady ELDx. $300 scope I'd be looking at Burris or Nikon. I picked my son up a Nikon 4x16x50 for $325 and it came with a custom turret.

I personally like a3.5x12x40. Or just a 3x9x40. I don't like parallax it's just another thing to mess with that can go wrong. Just my opinion
I prefer fixed power , no knobs to knock out adjustment. I have use copper bullets, l have been using 130 and less bullets.

If you want to kill elk consistently year after year with a 270 get the best most powerful scope you can afford. Get some 150 grain Accubond Long Range bullets, shoot them through a chrono with your rifle. Get a custom turret made. Practice, practice, practice take notes on doping your scope, shoot at different elevations in different weather, take notes, practice some more. You will have the set up to shoot animals out to 800+ yards, if you as a shooter are capable of it. If it's over 300 yards forget the shooting sticks always go prone if possible. It is more than enough gun to do the job as I have a brother in law from Idaho that has killed more than 30 elk with a 243. Now I don't suggest that, but 6.5 and up are good to go with the right bullet. Know your ballistics, most of the newer bullets (ABLR, ELDx) have a published minimum FPS at which they will perform as designed. That will give you the bullets effective range in your gun. This will be different than your effective range most likely. I killed my first dozen or so elk with a 300WBY in their bedding areas at 50 to 200 yards. The last 20 or so have been 300 to 700 yards with a 260rem or 280rem. There is no need to punish yourself because, unless you shoot a 50cal, bullet placement means more than caliber ever will.;)

my buddy is going on a Elk hunt coming up.Hes using a 270 what scope magnification would be best suited and what grain bullet.

A 3-9, will take you out farther than you should attempt a shot with the 270! Whatever you decide, stay low power on the bottom end.....you may find yourself shooting elk in feet rather than yards! Personally, I would never go over 4x on the low end! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.