.270 bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gonewest, Jun 6, 2010.

1. gonewest

gonewest Well-Known Member

I have another question this one about bullets. My gun really seems to like 130 gr Hot core bullets. It also like hornady soft pts. I have alot of others but has anyone had any trouble with these bullets? Thanks

2. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

I go with a 140 accubond for 600yds and less.(I prefer tough bullets to that range) If I know Ill be shooting fartrher I use a more ''fragile'' bullett like 150gr Hornady SST. I had some issues with core/jackett seperation with the SST's and will no longer use them in my 270wsm at anything closer than 550-600yds. Hornady makes accurate bullets, but so far I dont have much faith in thier ''inner-lock'' ring for controlled expansion, or core/jacket seperation (may just be a speed/caliber combination thing) in my 270wsm. Ive hered great things about Hornady's in bigger and smaller calibers at a wide range of speeds.

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I have a friend that shoots the hot core out of a 270win and I haven't seen a deer or elk shrug one of. Also haven't seen it take more than one hit. He's shot elk from 50yrds to just under 500yrds with it, I have even grabbed it and dropped a few animals when I had a gun problem.
    So far as I know only one elk didn't have an exit wound and that was a big cow last year at 50yrds, turned her insides to goo, everything else has had and exit wound.

4. ForneyRider

ForneyRider Well-Known Member

I loaded 130gr Interlock, 130gr SST Interlock, 130gr Nosler BT with R22 for 270 Win. The BT was slightly more accurate than the other 2. The SST knocked down a 10 pt last year.

I went with 130gr Accubond in 270 WSM this year.