270 Bullet Poll

One bullet for everything, excluding grizz, which would you choose? Why?

• Berger Classic Hunter

• Nosler Accubond

• Mono - Barnes, Hammer, Hornady, Nosler, etc

• Hornady ELD

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was all in on getting a new barrel on my 270 win model 70. Decided to try 116 absolute hammers.

22" 1-10 twist factory barrel.
3400 fps and shooting well under MOA. [Above MOA with accubonds]

I'm not getting a new barrel.
Nice! Any experience with performance on heavy boned critters like elk with these light for caliber, screaming missiles?

Thank you =)
Threads like this are always enlightening!
We tested them on everything from chickens to 1800 pound cows with every shot placement you can think of, the result was always the same, Forgeting everything you have been taught about conventional bullets is the key here

I shoot a .270win as well. I began using 130gr Nosler Partitions at over 3100fps. My shots started to become longer and longer until I was no longer happy with the 130's performance at longer ranges (700+ yds) So I stepped up to the 150gr Partition and haven't looked back. It has plenty of energy left at my longer ranges and one shot kills, drop in their tracks hits are the norm. The bullet starts out at 2884fps using 51.2 gr of I4350 in FC cases, CCI200 primers. I had occasion to try the ABLR's from Nosler. Surprisingly, when mixed with some of the partition loads, they all grouped together at 200yds. I don't have as much hold over at 700+ as with the partitions and they are just as effective on the terminal end. I've tried the Mono's, Hammers and such and like the way they load and shoot, but for now I've got a very good combo using either the 150gr partitions or ABLRs.

I personally don't have the 270 win I've got the wsm . So with that being said I chose the accubond I like the way they shoot and kill . I've never tried the mono bullets although looking at ButterBeans load I may want to . I've always kinda been a speed freak and those are impressive. My 270 wsm should push it even faster 😱

We tested them on everything from chickens to 1800 pound cows with every shot placement you can think of, the result was always the same, Forgeting everything you have been taught about conventional bullets is the key here
Mr. Bean is 100 percent correct in this statement these bullets act and react like none of the cup and core bullets I believe the closest would be a partition as it will shed petals at higher speeds and the shank will push on through

So here is my projected .270 Win build coming up. 156 HH at 3.63 COAL, 3.004 CBTO with 0.020 jump. 27" 1:8 twist, 5R Light Palma, HS Precision stock, Timney, action trued, Holland lug and firing pin & spring. Just a nice budget build. This will be real interesting to see RL26 with this bullet, expect well over 3,100 fps and will wait to get real data before I put foot in mouth...again.;) But this should get the job done on pretty much anything I want to kill in NA. My go to everything 300WM Sendero is crying as we speak. Maybe should have lottery pool on how fast it will top out? I have seen some crazy fps with RL26 in the .270 even in 24" barrel so another 3" should get some extra juice.

Edit added: The 156HH is 3 baring bands deep so should be plenty of neck tension. Dang they just LOOK FAST!

Sitting on pins and needles waiting for barrel!

IMG_4233 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.