270 bullet best for whitetailed deer

I have a really stupid question. When a Guys asks a question and starts a thread he is referred to as the OP. What does OP mean???

I posted earlier on my experiences today with the 270 Ackley I have and running a 130nbt at 3308. They come apart and I had 1 deer that was not recovered from a 65 yard shot.

SO MY QUESTION IS....
What bullet do you guys suggest using on whitetailed deer in Va that is tough enough to stay together at 3300fps close distance, and still work their magic without pin holing them. My max distance ever around here is 770 yards and normally under 350 yards.
Looked at Hammers and accubond but concerned accubond won't open up on whitetail.

Going to stay with a 130 or 140 class bullet due to the 10 twist barrel.
Faster is not always better, especially with bullets made for hunting. When a bullet is designed the maximum spin rate is designated based on normal muzzle velocity and the normal rate of barrel twist of the particular caliber. For the .270 and other similar rounds if you check the different manufacturers you will find that the factory muzzle velocities range between 2900 and 3100 fps. The bullets for these calibers base their penetration and expansion on those design muzzle velocities. When you increase the muzzle velocities you increase the bullet spin and in some cases cause the bullet to self destruct in flight. Had a friend who wanted to pump up a .243 to see how fast it could go. Don't ask me what his load was, I never bothered to find out because of the following issue. At 3900 fps the bullet held together but accuracy diminished as speed increased. At 4000 fps bullet held together but group size diminished to about 4 MOA. At 4100 fps the bullet never made it to the target. Standing behind him one could notice a puff of smoke about 20 yards down range. That puff was when the bullet flew apart in flight. Getting back to your dilemma of of the bullet flying apart at 65 yards the bullet was already spinning close to the self destruct point so with the slightest provocation, such as hitting a deer it simply self destructed because it's design spin rate had been exceeded. It was through no fault of the bullet that happened. Another thing for hunters to keep in mind is velocity vs bullet expansion rate. If a bullet is going too fast when it hits it's target while it will expand it will not reach maximum expansion before exiting the other side of the deer. Will it still kill the deer, yes providing you sent it through the boiler room before it exited stage right. I have found that slightly slower velocities have a tendency to perform when penetrating the animal allowing full expansion to occur before either exiting or stopping inside the animal.,

I have found TY he best bullet for my 270 in Alaska is the 130gr gmx from Hornady. It will still expand at 700, not as much as 200. But if you do your job put the bullet where it belongs. Busted through front shoulder on moose at 450yrds and exited mid rib. I like accubonds and partitions also. Just found the most accurate load for me is 130 gmx bullet on Winchester brass, cci large rifle primers I run imr 4064. My loads will vary base off extreme temperature swings ( -50 to 80f.

Check out Federal trophy bonded. Solid copper shank and bonded. You can drive them fast even close up and they expand at distance. I load the 140's for a 270 Wsm and 270 win. 130's are available too but I haven't tried them. I don't see much about them in the blogosphere for some reason but they fly and kill great. Bc is .455 on the 140's

I'm still a big fan of the 130 Grn. Ballistic Tips on whitetail deer . At 3050 FPS they are devastating on deer and I am totally pleased with their performance.

Recent Posts