270 Build

wilkup

I bought a Bergara B14 Ridge chambered in 270 Winchester at the beginning of the year with the thought it'd always be easy to find Ammo if I didn't want to reload…
Couldn't have been more wrong about, but I persevered the past 8 months acquiring what I needed like high quality Peterson Brass, RCBS dies which seem to be scarce, powder, primers, and a Grayboe stock which took far longer than the quoted 8 weeks to receive.
I'm not complaining, I build custom homes for a living and that seems to be the rule in these silly days of Covid we now live.
I'm excited to finally have such a fun rifle to hunt deer with this year. It's had a bit of work done and I think it turned out really cool.
It's 8.5lbs loaded with five rounds, which in my opinion is about the perfect weight for an all around rifle.
The Grayboe stock didn't save me any weight, but improves the ergonomics significantly.
I have always loved Leupold products and this VX3HD is no exception. I'm quite impressed with the glass and lightweight of the optic.
I had my smith do some heavy fluting on the barrel to shave some weight down and added the heavy flutes on the bolt for style points.
I'm taking it out this weekend to zero and post some groups, but with it all finally put together, I had to take her out for a photo shoot and share. Will share shooting results next week. I'm sure it will shoot great with the 117gr Hammer Hunters, as that's been my experience with every single Hammer Bullet sent down range no matter the caliber, rifle or barrel manufacturer.
Couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.

Attachments

• 6D1E3E16-ABA6-48F9-AA10-F476F99116FB.png
    6D1E3E16-ABA6-48F9-AA10-F476F99116FB.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 267
I acquired a Weatherby Mark V SBGM in 270Win at the end of the last big shortage for the same reason. It seamed the ammo and components for the ol' 270 were the last left on the shelves. I can even now go buy 270 brass from 4 different shops around me. I put a 3-15 Razor light hunter on it and at 7 pounds even loaded with a sling it is a great gun to pack. Don't tell marketing, but you can kill stuff with that .270 practically as good as a 6.5 of-the-month.

I acquired a Weatherby Mark V SBGM in 270Win at the end of the last big shortage for the same reason. It seamed the ammo and components for the ol' 270 were the last left on the shelves. I can even now go buy 270 brass from 4 different shops around me. I put a 3-15 Razor light hunter on it and at 7 pounds even loaded with a sling it is a great gun to pack. Don't tell marketing, but you can kill stuff with that .270 practically as good as a 6.5 of-the-month.
7lbs loaded is LIGHT! I wanted the heavier #5 contour for a little less walking just in case I wanted to empty all 5 rounds from the magazine.
My Mark V in 257 Weatherby would shoot excellent 2 shot groups, but I had to let the barrel cool a bit to get that third shot to group with the others. Without that cool down, it'd walk over an inch.

7lbs loaded is LIGHT! I wanted the heavier #5 contour for a little less walking just in case I wanted to empty all 5 rounds from the magazine.
My Mark V in 257 Weatherby would shoot excellent 2 shot groups, but I had to let the barrel cool a bit to get that third shot to group with the others. Without that cool down, it'd walk over an inch.
It is light. Even with the scope on it, it feels like a toy. Because it was in 270 Win I got an amazing deal on it too. The 270 Win has become the Rodney Dangerfield of cartridges.

I am not a one-upper but just a huge 270 fan and had my dream gun built about 4 years ago. Mine is at 6 1/2 lbs loaded w/o a sling but it is a custom. Rem 700 action with a #2, yes #2 contour Benchmark, 24" bbl and a custom stock and is wearing a Leupold 2x12 VX6. Yes, the bbl heats in a hurry and I have to let it cool after 2 shots as well but carrying it is an absolute dream as well as shooting it.
That's it on the bench in the profile picture. Prettiest shooting range I have ever been too IMO. 5000' with Mt. Rainier just to my North.

Last edited:
I am not a one-upper but just a huge 270 fan and had my dream gun built about 4 years ago. Mine is at 6 1/2 lbs loaded w/o a sling but it is a custom. Rem 700 action with a #2, yes #2 contour Benchmark, 24" bbl and a custom stock and is wearing a Leupold 2x12 VX6. Yes, the bbl heats in a hurry and I have to let it cool after 2 shots as well but carrying it is an absolute dream as well as shooting it.
That's it on the bench in the profile picture. Prettiest shooting range I have ever been too IMO. 5000' with Mt. Rainier just to my North.
Post a photo? My love for the 270 has just increased over the years.
How's recoil on a 6.5lbs rifle!? I'd bet it demands attention!