.270 Boat tail VS Non Boat tail

Actually, the opposite is often true. Most benchrest shooters who shoot out to 200yds or so, regularely shoot flatbase bullets. Flatbase bullets are easier for the manufacturer to make consistent.

In factory chambers with looong freebores the flat base bullet may shoot better because you can seat the bullet out a bit farther and still m,aintain good neck tension. Obviously, the tails of boattail bullets provide zero neck tension and may limit the cartridge OAL.

The benefit to boattail bullets doesn't really begin until you are shoooting out past 400yds. For most hunting this isn't an issue. Lastly, boattail hunting bullets have a greater tendancy to suffer from jacket/core separation after impact. However, the newer bonded core bullets should eliminate this problem if you choose them.

[ 11-01-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Varmint Hunter

I agree with every thing you said except for one thing (there's always one thing isn't there
wink.gif
). A lot of world class and hall of fame BR shooters use BT bullets. I guess it's a case of "shoot what works".

Ray

AGREED

My point was that boattail bullets are not
necessarily more accurate. If they were, all benchrest shooters would be using them.

I'd venture to say that most PPC shooters are shooting flatbase bullets, but thats just a guess.
wink.gif

VH

[ 11-01-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

3 bonded core bullets that come immediately to mind are the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond & Swift Scirocco. They all look like Ballistic Tips and they're all boattails.
grin.gif

I'm probably gunna get shot down in flames here, but weren't BT bullets invented for use in machine guns shooting out past where the bullet becomes sub-sonic, and only have a real advantage when they become sub-sonic.
They are mostly popular with re-loaders because they are easier to seat than flat base bullets.

[ 11-02-2004: Message edited by: Immortal Wombat ]

otis348 - I'm a 35 year 270 man. I only shoot BT bullets at larger game.

The whole idea of core separation is all immaterial. I have never had a deer size animal ever stop the bullet, so who cares if the bullet that hit the ground 200 yards on the other side of the deer still going 1000 fps only retained 70% of it's weight.

IMO – Since I shoot allot Sierra SBT 140's loaded at high speed is all you need for sub 400 lbs. Once you get above that class. Then start thinking about premium bullets.

Budlight,

Its funny how experiences vary. I've had more jacket/core seperations with Sierra SBT bullets in 270 than anything else. This was quite a few years ago when I shot the 270 exclusively. Large PA whitetails often stopped a separated SBT bullet and I've recovered them.

I would say, however, that the deer died quickly anyway. Some say that this is the real test of terminal performance.

Me, I just expect my bullets to stay together regardless of whether they penetrate completely or not.
wink.gif

VH

VH - I've never recoved a bullet. All heart/lung just went out the other side. Most of my other shots I always went for base of neck and a couple of mixed in head shots.

My general hunting loads are like 3200 fps for 140 and I've also shot every deer between 35 and about 200 yards. Antelope were out to 400 max. The one Elk was a head shot at 50 yards. Carrabou - right through them at 125 - 250 yards.

The same thing with the 7mm stw 175 SBT sierra. Clear through the elk every time.

I've been using Barnes-x 405 grains for soft skinned and 510's for the big stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts