270 Ackley vs. 270 Sherman...?

It's like mouse traps, there is *always* a better mouse trap... but speaking of which, where does one find this TOUGHER .270WSM brass, @Idaho Lefty ? I'm putting one together... I do have a couple of the old blue bag Winchester. I have been seeking (without success) some Remington brass.

Honestly, I had just been considering the idea of a .270SS to leverage high quality, available 6.5 SAUM brass by ADG.

I wonder how the OP made out on this one - any follow up comments, 7years later, @wilkup ?

@ryan burget
Some guys neck down and blow out 30-06 brass. They might have a surplus of 30-06 brass, or happen to like Lapua brass, for example, and use a custom reamer to fit the shorter brass. It takes away some of the versatility though because now it's it own thing and will never be able to fire a SAAMI (standard, or factory) round.

There is nothing stopping a guy from running a shorter neck in a standard chamber, but the carbon ring that forms at the case mouth will cause problems down the road if left unchecked.

Last edited:
@ Hand Skills,..
When, I buy or Build, a New Rifle,.. I buy 200 Rounds of, Brass for, IT ( enough, to wear, the Barrel out ).
Some Brass, is hard to get right now for, sure but, you might check with, Precision Reloading or the Classified's here or, at Accurate shooter for a Private party sale. The .270 WSM has been around for almost 20 years now. I like, the short, Fat, WSM's ( good Design, IMO ).
The .300 WSM is awesome, IF in, a Braked, heavier Rifle but, the .270 WSM can be shot, more "comfortably" especially w/ 140's and WITHOUT a Noisy, Brake, in a nice, 7.5 Pound, "Walk around", Elk Huntin', .. Mountain Rifle.
PS; IF, wanting, a Long .30-06 sized Case .270 why not go, .280 AI, as quite a few BETTER Bullets are available and it's a Proven, Elk stomper, too !

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the finished product next month!
Whoa! Where will you get brass? Peterson is great in my 300, but pretty much unavailable now.

Once you get brass, you are good to go….couple months maybe…

.270 WSM, Rem Brass has worked ok for me, But I'd like to try some Norma, someday, as it's been awesome, in my New 6 XC build !

Thanks for the tip @Muddyboots !

I would not have guessed that. I think I might just try 100 and see

Wish I could find some rem brass, @Idaho Lefty - ideally that's what I wanted to start with. I have been using it in 300WSM, but haven't gone past 5 firings. As you know, Norma is basically twice the price. Based on my experience, Norma is great brass, but I don't think it will last twice as long as Remington brass!

Last edited:
Whoa! Where will you get brass? Peterson is great in my 300, but pretty much unavailable now.

Once you get brass, you are good to go….couple months maybe…
I made that post just over 7 years ago 😜
Holy resurrection!!! LOL
I don't even own the 6.5 anymore, but should've never sold it. I been buying Peterson 270 brass everytime I see it available. If you're patient, it comes available occasionally. I've accumulated over 200 pieces of brass in the past couple months, so it's definitely out there.

The 270Ai is like the 30-06 as far as performance gains. The 280Ai gains more as the 280 has a lower pressure rating. The 270 is up there around 64,000 psi. already.

I would wait till you need a new barrel and also wait till you got a custom barrel before doing the AI. Some of the newer powders gain most of the velocity increase you will see with the 270AI. You can get almost 3200 fps with 130s and 3000 fps with 150s with powders like R26 and some others. The 270AI will benefit as well but only about 100 fps more which is not significant to me. Even the 270 WSM does not do that much better. If you want a fast 270 go with the Weatherby. All of the 270 cartridges are good.

I can concur that RL26 is absolutely magic with the standard .270 Win based upon my experience with a new 1:8 twist setup.
3284 156HH
3050 170EOL
Trying out the 165 ABLR once I finish up the 156HH load. Bet it will easily top 3000.

wait, RL26 is getting you those speeds in a standard 270win?

details?

my 270win is sporting a 31" (with brake) 1:8 x-caliber barrel throated for the 170 EOL.

i also have the 165 ABLR and Matrix projectiles.

i haven't done a full break in or load work up, but everything i was figuring and search showed that upper 2800s was gonna be the ceiling as far as speed

wait, RL26 is getting you those speeds in a standard 270win?
Yep. Check out Velocity Pool thread toward end that I started for fun as guess the velocity pool. Details there

RL26 will get you velocity that will just astound you with the .270! Your extra barrel length over mine should get you few more fps!

I just posted up load data for the 165ABLR that hit pressure at 3065 but also Hornady brass which is soft.

My rifle data us there too. 1:8, 27", 5R, Light Palma, 0.290 free bore added, max COAL of 3.65 which I use 3.63.

RL26 is the MAGIC PIXIE DUST for the .270 Win. I will be surprised if you don't top 3050 with the 170EOL!

The 270Ai is like the 30-06 as far as performance gains. The 280Ai gains more as the 280 has a lower pressure rating. The 270 is up there around 64,000 psi. already.
A reputable LRH member sent this link >>>https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37256 to me and another reputable LRH member that owns a .280 AI. Below is the .280 AI owner's response to the post ...

Wow. From a .270WIN!
Pretty sure I would rather build him a .270AI though. Same speeds at less pressure. I know my .280AI is about 1.5gr off max, I had 3040 before I hit pressure, and that was with a barrel with only 50ish rounds down it.

Gotta Love you Guys,.. ALWAYS,.. "Re-Inventing the Wheel",..
The ole' .270 WSM, STILL,.. gets it done, without, the BS of, case forming / fire forming and does IT with, TOUGHER Brass !
With, the "Right" Boolitz and Barrel Twist, there's NOTHING that, it can't Kill in, the USA and further out than, most People "can" shoot, accurately !
But,.. carry on !
But it is a short action and the bigger bullets eat up the case capacity