270 800yard .514 MOA 3 shot group

Thanks guys, I'll check that out. My contender has a great trigger but the Encore left much to be desired.

There was a thread about bargain basement long range rifles. I just figured it up. I paid $400 for the barrel, hung a 16X Super Sniper on it and a 20moa base from EGW with Burris tactical rings. $780. Not the big money set up that most of the guys have on this site but it shoots sub moa while fireforming and breaking in the barrel. It'll be good enough for me. One thing though, either my chamber is a little long or my Redding dies were cut a bit short. I had a head space problem at first and was pushing the shoulder back while sizing. Funny part is, it was still shooting ok. I got everything adjusted now I think. Just enough head space to fit snug in the chamber. Bullet right up to the lands. It's looking like Wednesday before I can shoot some more. babble babble babble :cool:

Thanks guys, I'll check that out. My contender has a great trigger but the Encore left much to be desired.

There was a thread about bargain basement long range rifles. I just figured it up. I paid $400 for the barrel, hung a 16X Super Sniper on it and a 20moa base from EGW with Burris tactical rings. $780. Not the big money set up that most of the guys have on this site but it shoots sub moa while fireforming and breaking in the barrel. It'll be good enough for me. One thing though, either my chamber is a little long or my Redding dies were cut a bit short. I had a head space problem at first and was pushing the shoulder back while sizing. Funny part is, it was still shooting ok. I got everything adjusted now I think. Just enough head space to fit snug in the chamber. Bullet right up to the lands. It's looking like Wednesday before I can shoot some more. babble babble babble :cool:

Your dies and chambers are probably fine, Here is Mikes link to his HEADSPACE page. Encores are famous for it. I've got his headspace gage and used his shims to get the headspace right.
Headspace - What every reloader of metallic cartridges needs to understand

That said, if you've got it shooting reliably and sub MOA, I wouldn't change a thing....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.