270/300 wby?

flopduster

Ok guys, here is the deal, I am slowly building my rifle into more of a long range rig. I have a win 70 classic stainless in 270 win. Very soon I am replacing the *** synthetic stock with a choate varmiter which will add 2+ pounds to the rear on the gun. The next step is to replace the barrel, I looked at the shilen site and see that they will chamber 270/300 wby. If i got a #6 barrel it would add 2+ pounds to the front end keeping the balance on my rifle the same and adding 5 or 6 to the total weight. I would like to keep the 277 cal for some reason, but would like to get a little more velocity than I am getting with the fac hornady light mag 130 sst I am currenly shooting(3215fps) with the extra weight to compensate for recoil, this catridge could be the ticket. So does anyone have any nunbers on it or any other suggestions???

thanks a bunch

You cannot go directly to a Weatherby since your bolt face is setup for a smaller diameter case head. You would need another bolt with the magnum size bolt face if you go to a magnum, some smiths can open up your boltface but that is a lot of work and costs money.

Also you will find that guys here are very partial to McMillan stocks, there is a reason for that. The Choats work well, should be skim-bedded for best performance, but some shoot very well as drop-ins.

Building a long range rifle takes a lot of planning, guys on this site can help you, just keep askin' questions. Suggest you look in the archives in the basics, might answer a lot of questions and good reading.

.270 is a bit of a dud as far as really good bullet selection, way more bullet weights and makers if you go to .30. Common suggestion is to start with a .308 Win and shoot lots and cheap, then go up to a bigger cartridge if you feel the need.

Have fun, getting into LR hunting involves many things, not just building a rifle. Many guys shoot standard factory rifles with great success, secret is to pull the trigger, keep good data and learn what the wind does to your bullets.

Does Winchester use the 375 H&H Mag length action for the 300Wby? My buddy had one in 300Wby but I can't remember. I do know that the mag box is shorter on the LA Winchester than it is on the Remington, and the H&H length Win is about the same as a Rem 700.

Opening the bolt face fit the larger case head isn't too bad, but making it feed the larger case is where I'd want a good smith to be at work on it. You can get center feed mag boxes for it, but agian, a good smith that you've discussed this with at length will probably offer great feedback and give you an idea of what he'll charge for all the work.

What are you hunting with it, and are you set in stone over the 270?

use 300 Wea case in WIN 70 need long mag box and some stock modification as perhaps trigger guard mods , best is to rebarrel in 270 WEa ( shorter than 300 WEA ) or the good 270 WSM both need bolt face opening and extractor modification or chanhe

270/300 is over bore and with barrel in the 26 inch you probaly doesn t win a lot more velocity than in 270 WEA or in 270 WSM

good shooting

DAN TEC

thanks for the opinions.
brent, this rifle is used to hunt deer here in sc, mostly on roads and bean fields. I am not a bench shooter, but do like to shoot paper every couple of weeks or so. I really like the 270 cal and it performs very well on the size deer we have without being overkill. I like the performance of the hornady light mags I am shooting, but want to be able to get similar velocities out of reloads as the hornady's only shoot about 1 inch groups(somedays it will shoot 3/8 and i think i have an accurate rifle in a *** stock). This works fine for shooting does in the head out to around 150, but I would like to get 1/2 inch to have confidence in taking shots out to 600. Right now I limit my shots to 400 or less. If the accuracy inproves after restocking, I may not change the barrel. I wonder what kind of velocities I would get if I went to an improved version with handloads?
regarding the 308 recomendation, I have a rem 788 in 308 that will probably be a future project when I get the time to shoot lots of paper and try to work my way to 1000yds. Right now it is a carbine that will shoot norma match ammo 1/2" at 100yds.
I know the mcmillans are great stocks, but right now do not have the $ to put in one like I want(A3). I like the looks of the choate and think it will work well for me as I shoot leftie.

flopduster

best bet is to rebarrel into a 270 Ack Imp if you want extra speed without all the expense of changing bolt, new sako extractor and magazine etc. No modifications except barrel and dies. In fact you could rechamber the present barrel, but I would say waste of money to do without new barrel.

For the SC beanfield shooting, the 270 AI with 130 Ballistic tips would be plenty fast and accurate out to at least 800. I have shot two large midwest deer with one shot at 325 yards with a 270. The b'tip was found intact but well expanded under the skin of the second deer on the far side.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.