.270 168gr Hammer Hunter

yorke-1

I picked some of these up for a project I'm starting and I think I'm in love! Here's one of the 168gr Hammer Hunters next to a 130gr Nosler E-Tip.
GzFvogu.jpg

It's a shame my rifle won't be ready to go for a couple more months at best. I may have to get an extra 1-7" twist 270 barrel just to play with them sooner.

I picked some of these up for a project I'm starting and I think I'm in love! Here's one of the 168gr Hammer Hunters next to a 130gr Nosler E-Tip.
GzFvogu.jpg

It's a shame my rifle won't be ready to go for a couple more months at best. I may have to get an extra 1-7" twist 270 barrel just to play with them sooner.
I stumbled on those after I already had an 8 twist on the way. 170 bergers are shooting great but I'd kinda like to try the hammers. Who are you getting the 7 twist from?

I'm starting with an X-Caliber blank while I wait on a Bartlein gain twist.

I'll use these in a wildcat I'm working on called the 270 Boondoggle. The goal is to hit about 3200 fps with the 170 class Bullets.

....I'm starting with an X-Caliber blank while I wait on a Bartlein gain twist.

......I'll use these in a wildcat I'm working on called the 270 Boondoggle. The goal is to hit about 3200 fps with the 170 class Bullets.....

Sounds like fun! Which case are you looking at? I'm especially interested in how the gain twist works for you. How much twist variation from one end to the other?

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Which case are you looking at? I'm especially interested in how the gain twist works for you. How much twist variation from one end to the other?

I'm using the 8x68s case for the parent. I'll end up with an improved version of the 30 BooBoo necked down to 270. It should hold just a touch over 100gr of H20 when it's done.

The barrel will start at 1-12" and finish at 1-7" and finish at 26". I want this to be an all purpose hunting gun so I think a #4 contour will be just about perfect.

I'm using the 8x68s case for the parent. I'll end up with an improved version of the 30 BooBoo necked down to 270. It should hold just a touch over 100gr of H20 when it's done.

The barrel will start at 1-12" and finish at 1-7" and finish at 26". I want this to be an all purpose hunting gun so I think a #4 contour will be just about perfect.

100ml of H2O? 100 grains of powder? I am pushing a 170 270 Berger with 72gr of RL26 out of a 28" Barrel with a case that holds 80 ml of H2O...@3225fps

I hope you have a chrono...would really want to see your fps...

For your case...3200fps is a starting load...:)

That bullet is a monster...

Keep us informed...

100ml of H2O? 100 grains of powder? I am pushing a 170 270 Berger with 72gr of RL26 out of a 28" Barrel with a case that holds 80 ml of H2O...@3225fps

I hope you have a chrono...would really want to see your fps...

For your case...3200fps is a starting load...:)

That bullet is a monster...

Keep us informed...

80ml is a huge case, that's nearly 4.9 cubic inches! Capacity measurements I have right now are based on QuickDesign estimates which actually have the capacity at 102.7gr H20. This measurement comes from measuring the weight of a case filled with water to the case mouth. My case has a capacity that's about 20% more than a 270 Weatherby but about 8% less than a 270/300 RUM that I had before. I'm pretty conservative with my velocity estimates but some of that has to do with the relatively short 3.620" OAL that it's designed around. It's going to be a hunting rifle, so I wanted to design it around the Curtis Custom 3 round mag which has a pretty short internal length.

What action and bolt face are you using? The RWS case has a .511" case head size

I'm going to use one of the ARC Nucleus actions, whenever it shows up. I've actually used the 8x68s case before to form 375 Ruger brass and 338/375 Ruger brass to use in a Ruger 77 mk II. The design of the claw extractors gives enough grip on the case rim to extract the case with no issues, at least in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.