.270 162 grain lead free bullets

Can you share your twist rate for more relevant feedback? Otherwise, we assume 1/10 which will hardly be good for any 162 gr mono. I'm going to be trying the 140 Badlands SBD-2's and the 156 Hammer Hunters in a 27 Nosler build through a 7.75 twist Bartlein 400 MOD. Should be interesting.

I think this is the ammo you're talking about: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023610027/
I shoot the 156 HH in 1:8 .270Win and have good result so far, getting great velocity at maxed out ~3300 with slight ejector and settled in load at 3200. Sub 1/2MOA at 300. Killed great buck at 240, full pass through double lung, liquified lung tissue into highly technical term "goop", exit about 1.5", Stevie Wonder blood trail. Please post up your BD2 results!

Hey All,

I recently saw there's a new factory load for the 6.8 western with 162 grn lead free bullets. Any sense of who the manufacturer might be?

I'm thinking of trying them out in my .270, I'm hoping even with a slower twist rate between living at altitude and with 150s shooting fine that these will be stable and give me a bit more oomph for elk.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
I would think that would be the Hornady CX bullet. Look on the Berger site they have a bullet stability program that you can enter your cal, bullet weight, fps, etc to see if said bullet will stabilize at altitude. I use it often for my .270 win and find that from 6,000 to 10,000 ft elevation I can stabilize a 170 gr Berger VLD. Hope this helps.

I would think that would be the Hornady CX bullet. Look on the Berger site they have a bullet stability program that you can enter your cal, bullet weight, fps, etc to see if said bullet will stabilize at altitude. I use it often for my .270 win and find that from 6,000 to 10,000 ft elevation I can stabilize a 170 gr Berger VLD. Hope this helps.
Yep. Monos seem to be more critical to marginal stabilization. Might fly straight, but inconsistent terminal results. Better to over-spin them. If he has a 1:10 twist, he's gonna be better off with a lighter mono and running it fast - if indeed he wants to stick with a mono.

These 162's?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-171633_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-171633_Chrome.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I'll delete that post ha ha I'm wrong. It is made by Winchester. They patterned it after the deer season xp line with the large polymer tip with massive hollow tip cavity as they word it. I see a cannelure but no pressure bands. I don't know what it is made of guilding metal, copper alloy or a combination of both.