.270 162 grain lead free bullets

Ed, if I had 6 cups of coffee: 1 - would need depends, 2 - will be up for a week, 3- wife would put me out of house for a week, 4- could not literally hit broadside of barn at 25 yds, 5 could not hold cup without spilling it!
LOL! I can drink a cup of coffee before going to bed and have no problem sleeping. Drinking coffee has a calming effect on me. It does keep me regular, though. I know, TMI. 😂

Haha I appreciate the clarifying question. I am NOT intending to try and jam a 6.8 in to my .270 win chamber!
Whew! :cool:
I'm just looking for the bullets on their own to tinker with in handloads. I've got plenty of 130-150 grain bullets and loads developed, and was just wondering who might be manufacturing the 162s. I was guessing that maybe it's a Hornady Cx with that red tip but haven't seen anything on their webpage.
Hornady makes them in 130g in .270 Cal (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/270-cal-.277-130-gr-cx#!/).

If you are looking at the lead-free bullets to try to check this out,>>>https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lead-free-bullet-compilation.290864/

NOTE: Before you decide, make sure you have the minimum recommended barrel twist to maximize the stabilization of the bullet.

LOL! I can drink a cup of coffee before going to bed and have no problem sleeping. Drinking coffee has a calming effect on me. It does keep me regular, though. I know, TMI. 😂
I've often wondered what these forums would be like if all of our posts included real time caffeine and blood alcohol measures. I need my internet connection to go away for a few hours after the bourbon is opened, lol.

Even if your rifle will stabilize the heavy mono bullets enough to be accurate the terminal performance will be compromised for sure but like anything else you wont know anything for sure till you try it. I hope you find what you are looking for and it meets and exceeds your

Last edited:
Even if your rifle will stabilize the heavy mono bullets enough to be accurate the terminal performance will be compromised for sure but like anything else you wont know anything for sure till you try it. I hope you find what you are looking for and it meets and exceeds your needs
Just wondering - if the rifle stabilizes the bullet and is accurate, how will the terminal performance be "compromised"? (I am guessing you believe the .270 won't produce enough velocity to expand a 162 gr. monolithic bullet.) Thanks.

Just wondering - if the rifle stabilizes the bullet and is accurate, how will the terminal performance be "compromised"? (I am guessing you believe the .270 won't produce enough velocity to expand a 162 gr. monolithic bullet.) Thanks.
Here is the theory, and I don't have anything other to contribute other than a TL;DR and a link so take it with a grain of salt.

Your altitude can let an otherwise unstable bullet hit the mark through the thin air, but once it hits game the spin rate may affect how the bullet tumbles (or not), it's path through the game, and possibly even expansion. Imagine a marginally stabilized bullet as a very heavy wobbly football hitting a wall of water: it may approach the wall of water straight on but once it hits it will likely tumble or go at the angle that the nose was pointed at the time of impact.

Link to more discussion: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/effect-of-bullet-spin-on-terminal-performance.224946/

From experience a 1/10 twist 270 Win will not shoot anything over 150 gr bullet with any satisfaction. With the exception of the 160 gr Partition. The length of the Mono is the killer. Most 1/10 270s will barely stabilize the 150 ABLR. I have seen them fail to stabilize in some rifles. Even if they hit the target straight on their terminal performance will be compromised.

Haha I appreciate the clarifying question. I am NOT intending to try and jam a 6.8 in to my .270 win chamber!

I'm just looking for the bullets on their own to tinker with in handloads. I've got plenty of 130-150 grain bullets and loads developed, and was just wondering who might be manufacturing the 162s. I was guessing that maybe it's a Hornady Cx with that red tip but haven't seen anything on their webpage.
I can't find any of Hornady pills here in Canada 🇨🇦. I'm thinking the 162gr is the Winchester copper??

Hey All,

I recently saw there's a new factory load for the 6.8 western with 162 grn lead free bullets. Any sense of who the manufacturer might be?

I'm thinking of trying them out in my .270, I'm hoping even with a slower twist rate between living at altitude and with 150s shooting fine that these will be stable and give me a bit more oomph for elk.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Can you share your twist rate for more relevant feedback? Otherwise, we assume 1/10 which will hardly be good for any 162 gr mono. I'm going to be trying the 140 Badlands SBD-2's and the 156 Hammer Hunters in a 27 Nosler build through a 7.75 twist Bartlein 400 MOD. Should be interesting.

I think this is the ammo you're talking about: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023610027/

upon impact with the animal bullet rotation will slow very rapidly and the bullet will not track straight through the animal in this instance the bullet rotation speed or RPM will already be low due to the slow twist rate bullet expansion will be determined by impact velocity which will be determined by range and muzzle velocity. I hope this makes sense as I am not very good at expressing my thoughts at times

Last edited:
upon impact with the animal bullet rotation will slow very rapidly and the bullet will not tract straight through the animal in this instance the bullet rotation speed or RPM will already be low due to the slow twist rate
Yep, but the rotational bleed-off will not happen so fast if the petals shear off like some are designed to do. I understand that this is one of the reasons Steve @ Hammer considers it a failure if the petals do not break off on his projos even at the low velocity parameter. (this is not a Hammer commercial by the way :))