27 nosler vs 270 wby

I have a 270 weatherby H series 26" barrel I bought in 89. I was reading an article concerning the 27 nosler. would the 270 weatherby action be a candidate to be rebarreled in 27 nosler with the .534 rebated rim? If not then rebarrel in a .277 1-8.5 twist barrel 26". I load with the140/150 nosler and it has worked well. If you twist the barrel 1-8 could it possibly wash out the lighter grain bullets like a 130/140? I have been searching articles for information but I'm reaching out here hoping to gain information so as to make an informed decision. I would like to be able to have the option of using a 165 gr. next would be what conture barrel weight? I spoke to Bartlein about #3/3b 26" barrel?

I have a 270 weatherby H series 26" barrel I bought in 89. I was reading an article concerning the 27 nosler. would the 270 weatherby action be a candidate to be rebarreled in 27 nosler with the .534 rebated rim? If not then rebarrel in a .277 1-8.5 twist barrel 26". I load with the140/150 nosler and it has worked well. If you twist the barrel 1-8 could it possibly wash out the lighter grain bullets like a 130/140? I have been searching articles for information but I'm reaching out here hoping to gain information so as to make an informed decision. I would like to be able to have the option of using a 165 gr. next would be what conture barrel weight? I spoke to Bartlein about #3/3b 26" barrel?
Yes you keep the same bolt face as the WBy with the nosler. 8.5 is enough twist for all available cup n core 8 might be a bit better fr the heavy hammers. You should be good with lighter 130-140grn bullets as well but would lose some wind advantages over the heavies.

Thanks for the replies. I'm searching the internet to get information on the Hammer. I'm finding out that cases are all back ordered. And Vt n560 is like fairy dust.

.277 with a 1/8 twist will shoot the 130-150 class of bullets just fine but will shine with the 165-170 class of bullets. I have 3 270s My favorite is a custom 270 WSM with a long throat and 3.125 box. 1/8 twist. I have a box of 27 Nosler brass and going to order a reamer soon. Not sure I am gaining much for the extra powder burned but it will be fun. Don't put too much hope in the 165 ABLR they teased me with a few good shots but ultimately they failed to produce the accuracy or consistency of the Berger's by a long shot.

I'm reading on the Hammer shocks for 400 and under game rounds. I have always used Nosler, Sierra. I have to try the Bergers only the rifles I have are hinge so I don't know how far one has to seat the Berger. It's like learning all over. I spoke to fellow range shooter he had a 26 nosler build with an Impact action Bartlein #14 barrel bug holes but looked heavy. But the 27 nosler made it interesting with 165. just ordered a Timney for my old 270 Wby. Possibly going to place a rail instead of the red field looking at Neer mfg. PTG has rough and fine carbide reamers?

Coughing up an old thread here. Steve from Hammer Bullets told me the 27 Nosler could well push the 156 HH along around 3,400 fps in front of n570. That's some potential for long-range take-down. Anybody try the 156 HH out of a Weatherby?

The 27 nos brought the 277 bore into the 21st century with a better big bullet twist rate. Give them credit for it and be grateful. With a barrel burner in that bore more barrel mfgs will stock a fast twist 277 for other builds. A 270 or ai version slinging the 165-175 higher bc bullets or big monos is a very pleasant to shoot rifle. The bee would be a great benificiary with an 8tw a 165 matrix, accubond as well as 170 berger. We the consumer get more options and something to spend our money on we want
Good post!

The availability of better bullets, and higher twist barrels has made all .270's better. More than any case differences.

I loaded the 145 Shock Hammer in my son-in laws standard .270, and was impressed both at the range, and in the field.

Never a .270 fan, it was an eye opener to exploiting the potential there,

.277 Hunting Bullets in the 130-140 grain spectrum are great perfromers. I don't however appreciate admiration for 270 Magnums for heavier projectiles and it seems the .284 Caliber can better serve in that arena. 27 Nosler brass dimensions appears to be Noslers most efficient case design yet and in order to keep the dust off it I'd push for a 7mm verision. What does the Wby do that can't be done by other magnums? Even if it is a great game getter as is, I'm not particularly drawn towards it.

.277 Hunting Bullets in the 130-140 grain spectrum are great perfromers. I don't however appreciate admiration for 270 Magnums for heavier projectiles and it seems the .284 Caliber can better serve in that arena. 27 Nosler brass dimensions appears to be Noslers most efficient case design yet and in order to keep the dust off it I'd push for a 7mm verision. What does the Wby do that can't be done by other magnums? Even if it is a great game getter as is, I'm not particularly drawn towards it.
I'm in the same camp as you are in thought. Owning 243/6.5s/7mm/30s, they all perform well on deer. The .277 particularly so in the 130-140 class bullet range. Each caliber bullet has a "Best" weight for a particular use. Getting into heavy .277 bullets isn't an advantage to stepping into a 7mm bullet. For me, it's not looking for the optimum caliber and bullet weight, it's just fun building a new cartridge and doing to load and range work for it.

What a great example of a quality thread from helpful LRH members!
I have a high end action to arrive end of October; long time ago narrowed my choices to 300 Wsm, 27 Nosler or 270 Wby for open country Mule Deer only rifle. Mainly because I have thousands of .30 cal and .277. bullets.
Thank you, this is great!
I've built 3- 300 WSM, and all have shot really well. I've used either Shilen or Douglas barrels and I've had good results from both. I am jealous though, thousands of 30 cal bullets makes my heart hurt, not that I don't have a few here and there, but thousands no. I should have stocked up like most people before the crazy crap going on today where it's hard to find any bullet you want, and when you do the price is beyond ridiculous imo.

I'm in the same camp as you are in thought. Owning 243/6.5s/7mm/30s, they all perform well on deer. The .277 particularly so in the 130-140 class bullet range. Each caliber bullet has a "Best" weight for a particular use. Getting into heavy .277 bullets isn't an advantage to stepping into a 7mm bullet. For me, it's not looking for the optimum caliber and bullet weight, it's just fun building a new cartridge and doing to load and range work for it.
Simple solution - run the 140 Badlands SBDII mono in the 27 nosler, and it will outperform the 180 Berger in a 28 nosler, in every way minus a 150 ft-lb less, at 1000 yards, still making north of 1575 ft-lbs. More speed, less drift, less drop, less recoil, higher velocity at impact, what's not to love?
Screenshot_20210613-065711_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20210613-065717_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20210613-065911_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20210613-065920_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Simple solution - run the 140 Badlands SBDII mono in the 27 nosler, and it will outperform the 180 Berger in a 28 nosler, in every way minus a 150 ft-lb less, at 1000 yards, still making north of 1575 ft-lbs. More speed, less drift, less drop, less recoil, higher velocity at impact, what's not to love?View attachment 279345View attachment 279346View attachment 279348View attachment 279349
As stated in the past, the lighter 130-140 class bullets perform great and heavier .277 bullets aren't necessary. I use the 130s in my .270 and they perform very well out to 600 yards. For extending that range of course I'd use a bullet with less drag and maybe in the 140 class weight.