27 nosler vs 270 wby

It's about like comparing the .260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hornady will have many believe that the Creedmoor is right on the heels of the .260 case but that's only going by Saami spec loading at 2.800. Run both at optimal performance and no comparison. Both those .270s are awesome. I'm not sure I could say one is much better than the other. It's simply a matter of preference as is many scenarios like this. Regardless which one outperforms the other, pick one, develop a great load and kill with it. Doubt the animal would know the difference either way.

Last edited:
My most accurate rifle is my Alamo Precision 270wby built on a 700 action. 130 partitions and 140 accubonds, Weatherby premium ammo. Freebore, schmeebore, it shoots.

270wby.jpeg
270wby2.jpeg

Yea, I think the 270 Wea. is a sleeper! We all saw the long thread on the 270 recently, it would be great with a fast twist but for me I would rather have a fast 6.5 but the .270 Wea. has some fast and good hunting factory ammo to fall back on, a good deal faster than a 270 and with a 1.75-1-8 twist barrel, you could work up mean loads with the 170 Berger or 165 Long Range Accubond. It is here to stay while the 270 Nosler may not be. I am one of those older guys that don't fall apart when I see a belted case.
Some of us younger guys love the belted magnums too :)

Both are great cartridges but as been stated you can't compare custom loads versus one size fits all loads.

I run a 270/26 Nosler and have it throated for 170 bergers on 27 inch bartlein barrel. My current load is 3250 with the 170s and I could maybe go over 3300 but never tried since it shoots so well there.
If there is one thing that hurts the nosler its the nosler case(soft case heads). Currently I use Bertram brass and have 4 firings with no problems.

Also I've never understood when people compare Magnums and follow up with magnum A gets better barrel life than Magnum B. Magnums aren't know for barrel life

I'm just glad more companies are starting to make more 27 caliber options

Last edited:
The 27 nos brought the 277 bore into the 21st century with a better big bullet twist rate. Give them credit for it and be grateful. With a barrel burner in that bore more barrel mfgs will stock a fast twist 277 for other builds. A 270 or ai version slinging the 165-175 higher bc bullets or big monos is a very pleasant to shoot rifle. The bee would be a great benificiary with an 8tw a 165 matrix, accubond as well as 170 berger. We the consumer get more options and something to spend our money on we want

Also I've never understood when people compare Magnums and follow up with magnum A gets better barrel life than Magnum B. Magnums aren't know for barrel life
There is a big difference in magnums of the 60s and the latest versions. The once thought terrible barrel life expectancy of the .264 Win mag is double that of the 6.5x300Wby. It is a notable difference, that can and does sway a lot of people when picking a case.

There is a big difference in magnums of the 60s and the latest versions. The once thought terrible barrel life expectancy of the .264 Win mag is double that of the 6.5x300Wby. It is a notable difference, that can and does sway a lot of people when picking a case.
Ultra magnums have replaced the standard magnums. Noslers, NM, Lapua and RUMs have all but replaced the Rem, Win and Weatherby mags. With that, barrel life has been reduced to 2/3's that of the magnum barrel life. Too me barrel life is the last concern of mine in a hunting rifle. It's the least expensive part of the system for the most part.

Ultra magnums have replaced the standard magnums. Noslers, NM, Lapua and RUMs have all but replaced the Rem, Win and Weatherby mags. With that, barrel life has been reduced to 2/3's that of the magnum barrel life. Too me barrel life is the last concern of mine in a hunting rifle. It's the least expensive part of the system for the most part.
They've grown in popularity for sure but to state that these new comers have "all but replaced" the 1st gen belted magnums is entirely out to lunch and easily demonstrated to be false. The 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag especially (the latter quite recently being adopted for military service) are not going anywhere, certainly haven't been replaced or displaced.
I imagine if you looked into sales of rifles by chambering, of loaded ammo, of brass for reloading, of reloading dies, the .300 win mag and 7 rem are outselling all the newer magnums combined even now.

They've grown in popularity for sure but to state that these new comers have "all but replaced" the 1st gen belted magnums is entirely out to lunch and easily demonstrated to be false. The 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag especially (the latter quite recently being adopted for military service) are not going anywhere, certainly haven't been replaced or displaced.
I imagine if you looked into sales of rifles by chambering, of loaded ammo, of brass for reloading, of reloading dies, the .300 win mag and 7 rem are outselling all the newer magnums combined even now.
Ya your probably correct, I miss spoke. Let me modify my comment. The ultra magnums have took a little popularity away from the standard magnums. Maybe an even better way of putting it is, some people have jumped into the bigger magnums with the popularity of ELR growing. I agree the standard magnums will always be favorites of many of us. My 300WM will be on vacation for a bit while I play with the new 300PRC. I'll never retire it.

My take on that is some of the Ultra mags like the RUM did not have enough additional real performance to matter in the past. However, the faster twist barrels and heavier bullets combined have made the bigger rounds more sensible.
For each caliber a guy just has to decide what is logical for him.

But back to the 2 rounds we are discussing, I would love to see a really good comparison done between the 270 Wea. & the 270 Nos, using the best seating depth for both, with the same heavy for cal. bullets and the same pressure. As stated above the bigger rounds (both of these) can shine with the heavier bullets and a 1-8 twist or a little faster.
As mentioned in an earlier post thou, you always have diminishing returns of course in any caliber, if that was all that matters (efficiency) then a 30 cal. shooter would shoot a 30 carbine case instead of a 300WM or 308 for that matter.
So, you have diminishing returns as you move up the scale but at some point the diminishing returns increase beyond what is acceptable (a diff. amt. for diff. people) & you are not getting value added.
That's why I doubt the 30-378 0r 7RUM will make the big time. Where that stopping place is for me with the .270 cal. is not clear to me yet.
That's why I would love to see that comparison. For me, if the diff. is 100fps or less increase for the Nosler, it would not be worth it when you consider the lack of factory ammo options and potential avail. of brass in the future. I load my own but I want my Sons to inherit something they can buy ammo for. If the difference wound up being 200-250 fps (which I doubt) I would for the Nosler and risk the rest.

Last edited:
More than anything else im happy about the high bc .277 bullets now extant and doubtless more coming on account of the .277 sig fury and .27 nosler and hope it leads to a reconsideration of the standard 10 twist in other 27 caliber cartridges.
I've yet to hear anything, over a month later, but emailed savage and asked what the chances of a plain Jane 111 270 with an 8 twist would be in the future. I want one.