27 Nosler/H4895 Workup

27 Gap

Yeah maybe. I've read some threads where people have used it in some pretty diverse loads, from 168gr/308's to 30 carbine to larger stuff. Great powder if the math checks out.

Yeah I've seen the company-provided load data.

Yeah I've seen the company-provided load data.
Notice how none of the powders in the company supplied data are as fast a burn rate as H4895? Theres likely a reason it isn't used in overbore magnums. You likely wouldnt be able to use enough to get sufficient case fill before pressuring out.
Find a 8# jug of a slow burning enduron or extreme(temp stable) powder and go to town the jug will last as long as a barrel

its your money but you should rethink this build. I had a 27 nosler and still have a 27-338 rum imp. and quickload for both. you can not use h4895 by any means in a 27 nosler h4831 is about the fastest you could use with light bullets.
with a 20 inch barrel you can expect velocities 3050-3100 at max. any slower powders and your only creating a bigger fireball out the end of the barrel

4895 is to fast like others have said, typically the slower powder matched to the cartridge design will give higher velocity even with shorter barrel lengths. not sure what powders you have but my 27/26 Nosler on 24" likes retumbo, magnum, and lrt. Retumbo gave 3450 in 24" barrel 150 ablr. Lrt is a in that ballpark may 10fps faster magnum is 50slower. With the strait 27nosler give magnum a try I think it will surprise how fast a 20" will be. What ever you do please let us know your results with that shorty

I load a ton for a 26 Nosler and loading for new build 27. You will save a ton of time, dollars and hair loading the NEW 150 Regular Accubonds. Way more forgiving in shorter barrel and superior knock down bullet. IMR 8133, US 869 or IMR 7977; 3200 - 3300 MV. Let us know how it goes.

its your money but you should rethink this build. I had a 27 nosler and still have a 27-338 rum imp. and quickload for both. you can not use h4895 by any means in a 27 nosler h4831 is about the fastest you could use with light bullets.
with a 20 inch barrel you can expect velocities 3050-3100 at max. any slower powders and your only creating a bigger fireball out the end of the barrel
I think you are dead on. Ultra sized cases up to 95-105 grains in a short barrel leaves alot to deal with. I think in the end a fellow could take a 270, wsm, sherman short etc.... and fair out just about with similar velocities in a 20"

I load a ton for a 26 Nosler and loading for new build 27. You will save a ton of time, dollars and hair loading the NEW 150 Regular Accubonds. Way more forgiving in shorter barrel and superior knock down bullet. IMR 8133, US 869 or IMR 7977; 3200 - 3300 MV. Let us know how it goes.
looking for reload data for my C.arm rifle,26" barrel, can you Help me , thank you, Dan Idaho

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.