.265 STANDARD, the rootinest tootinest Wildcat ever was to be.

Wild Monkey

It's no Magnum! No fancy brass, no fancy name. Just Standard.
1679182967041.gif

Intended for 270 or 25-06 Cheap Plentiful Brass initially, the objective of the .265 Standard is to shoot the Heavy for Caliber Bullets and still be able to fit in the shorter of the Long actions. This example offers the same performance as the latest 6.5 PRC craze and copycats and it won't break the bank.

So it's basically a 6.5x55 but slightly longer and you have to make brass for it? No hate, I just feel that I would rather build a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5-284 if I have to use a long action. The cartridges I've mentioned have excellent brass available that I don't have to mess around with making. The cheap brass thing is a good idea, but once you buy 100 pieces of good brass you don't have to buy it for a long time. A straight 6.5-06 or an improved version would be nice to take advantage of the brass you plan on using. Wildcats are cool though, and I'm sure this is a good cartridge and will appeal to some.

Last edited:
Interesting for me since I have a commercial 98 mauser. 270 win brass is already rated for higher pressures. It would depend on how hard it would be to form brass, and if the dreaded donut came into play. I'd be interested on a 7mm variant.

Interesting for me since I have a commercial 98 mauser. 270 win brass is already rated for higher pressures. It would depend on how hard it would be to form brass, and if the dreaded donut came into play. I'd be interested on a 7mm variant.
To me the 6.5-06 is probably the most popular Wildcat, and if it ever goes into production, this is the design I would prefer. I'd instead push for a 7mm on the Steyr Case as the 280AI has been worked to death./ cut down the S&H Reamer. VIOLA!

Last edited: