264 WM w/140 AMAX load advise

remingtonman_25_06

Anyone out there got any good loads with a 140g AMAX from a 264 with H4350, H4831sc, or H1000? I like to stick with "H" powders for temperature and lot to lot consistency.

RIfle is new, but an older winchester model 70 XTR with a 1 in 9" twist. I dont think the twist is the problem as its leaving round holes out to 600 yards, and its shot a .4" group at 100 yards, however next time out and everytime after that, its shot no better then 1.5" at 100. This was with 67.5g H1000.

If I cant get the 140 AMAX to shoot very well consistently, then I think I'll move down to the 123g AMAX or 120g NBT.

I would get some Retumbo powder. I have not tried the 140 Amax in my 264 WM but with the 130 Accubond I get super velocity 3350 fps and very good consistent accuracy. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel. I was reading in the Hodgdon annual manual and they seem to think that Retumbo is THE POWDER for the 264 win mag. I have to agree with them.

Id really like to stick with the 140 amax due to the BC and cost/performance, but if they wont shoot consistently, then I need to look elsewhere.

I like Rl22 as its usually been a very accurate powder for me, I just really HATE how inconsistent it is from lot to lot and with temp sensitivity issues.

I've never had much luck with 7828 in several different calibers over the years either.

Might have to pick up some Retumbo to try out. Adds another 100fps over H1000 and 7828, RL22 etc, in the 130g and 140g weight, and its also an "H" powder so thats good thing.

I am not sure how you have your bullet seated but I had very inconsistent results with A-maxes seated near the lands. I pulled them back to about 0.060" away and they started to shoot very consistently, both groups and ES. Just a thought.

Bullet seated right at the lands...

I just figured Id start there as tahts where I usually start with plastic tipped bullets and they usually shoot.

The 162g amax shot awesome from my 7 RM at the lands, didn't figure the 264 to be much different.

I've never heard of backing off amaxs that far, but I'm not opposed to trying it either.

I've read where you can seat the bergers in .040" increments from the lands on down to where your like .120" off, and wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for other bullets, so I might take that approach here soon.

I have mostly used H-870 in my Ruger 77 Stainless 264 wm.I want to try Reloader 25 in it but i have found no loads for it.I think this will work awesome in the 264.I mostly shoot 155 gr Lapua mega tips .I want to try some more Lapua bullets they are awesome!!

h870 was always the best powder in my 264 but its very hard to get now & it was very temp sensitive.as for jumping the amax i found the same with bergers in my 264 they like to be seated back a bit did not like touching lands at all.gun)

I'm shooting 68.4 gr of Retumbo, WW cases, Fed 215M primers with 140 gr Bergers about .010 off the lands and getting 3265 fps out of my 27.5 inch Broughton barrel, shoots about 3/4 MOA or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.