264 WM vs 30-378 WBY which one

TQO29

This will be my first time hunting Bighorn Sheep, will be in MT. I have narrowed my choices to two of my long range rifles 264 WM or 30-378 WBY, both have Nightforce 5.5 X 22 NXS scopes, we will be in Grizzly country and my partner will be carrying a 7mm MAG. I can shoot both guns equally, comfortable kill range for me will be out to 500 yards maybe push a little more, but I hope not to have to push any further. Please give me your reasons why one over the other. I thank all of you for your information.

I would pick the lightest rifle. At the end of the day that will make more of a difference that the cartridge.

If you can save a pound or 3 it will make for a little easier time climbing the mountains.

that is my choice.

graylake

If you can truly shoot both of them equally, and they are both patterning well, I agree that the lighter one would be my pick. Every ounce adds up on mountain hunts.

If you will limit your shots to as you say, 500 yards, or even 650 yards, and they shoot the same for you, DEFINITELY pick the lighter gun. If you are talking about 800+ yards the difference in retained energy could tip the scale in favor of the 30-378.

Here's a thought....

Take the 264 WM and load up with 140 gr. Swift A-frames or 156 gr. Norma Oryx bullets just for the "griz country" area and have your buddy pack the 30-378 WBY with 200 gr. Swift A-Frame "griz country" loads.....

when you have identified a legal ram you want to shoot... simply switch to your sheep load in either caliber... high BC Berger bullets will do an awesome job of dumping a ram in it's tracks, although the other bullets I mentioned will do a helluva job on taking out a ram also!

I personally think there are better choices than the 30-378. It burns an exotbitant amount of powder (recoil) compared to its near performance counterparts.

ok Kenny....

give me an example of a lesser caliber that burns less powder and recoils less that is better suited for stopping a ****ed off charging grizzly bear ?

granted you don't need a 30-378 WBY for sheep hunting, BUT in bear country a 200 gr Swift A-Frame leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps is a wise choice,

I had to stop a charging griz with that combination once and after that experience I care not for the 270's and 7mm's or anything less than 30 cal. I actually went up a couple notches to 338 Edge and with a decent muzzle brake it recoils less than a 270 Win and is flatter shooting with a helluva payload on target from 1 - 1k yards with the 300 gr Accubonds,

who cares how much powder it burns... security builds confidence and a confident hunter is a successful hunter over some chickenshirt hunter afraid of recoil taking a lesser caliber gun into bear territory then sharting his Calvin Kleins every time he sees bear tracks,
ruining the hunt for himself and his hunting partner

(a past experience involving a fella who disliked MAGNUMS with MASSIVE recoil and EXPENSIVE ammo who took his beloved 270 Win on a moose hunt with me ) never again , if ya ain't packing at least an '06 ya ain't going with me !

ok Kenny....

give me an example of a lesser caliber that burns less powder and recoils less that is better suited for stopping a ****ed off charging grizzly bear ?

granted you don't need a 30-378 WBY for sheep hunting, BUT in bear country a 200 gr Swift A-Frame leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps is a wise choice,

I had to stop a charging griz with that combination once and after that experience I care not for the 270's and 7mm's or anything less than 30 cal. I actually went up a couple notches to 338 Edge and with a decent muzzle brake it recoils less than a 270 Win and is flatter shooting with a helluva payload on target from 1 - 1k yards with the 300 gr Accubonds,

who cares how much powder it burns... security builds confidence and a confident hunter is a successful hunter over some chickenshirt hunter afraid of recoil taking a lesser caliber gun into bear territory then sharting his Calvin Kleins every time he sees bear tracks,
ruining the hunt for himself and his hunting partner

(a past experience involving a fella who disliked MAGNUMS with MASSIVE recoil and EXPENSIVE ammo who took his beloved 270 Win on a moose hunt with me ) never again , if ya ain't packing at least an '06 ya ain't going with me !

I apologize, it appears you are offended by my opinion. That wasn't my intention. For the intended game, a 300 Weatherby, for example, gives near performance and is more efficient as is a 300 Win Mag.

naw I wasn't offended , I was just relating an experience and my caps were to emphasize certain words, after reading It again it does look like yelling don't it, Lol !! sorry 'bout that !

the fella was asking on opinions on 3 rifles, 264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and 30-378 Wby Mag, for hunting sheep IN bear country.......not on powder capacity, recoil and efficiency of other cartridges, griz is not impressed with efficiency, velocity=energy & more of it with heavier bullets wins the argument with a grizzly plus will drt a sheep way out there fast !

besides their is no way the 300 Win Mag is "near" the 30-378 WBY,
(I reload for and shoot both)

thats like comparing a 308 Win to the 300 Win Mag

the 300 WBY is close, ... but so is the recoil, you will not notice the difference in recoil in field conditions....

I am guessing you are Hunting one of Montana's Unlimited sheep areas? The best advise everyone gave you was the lightest gun you can shoot well. Second is going to be a great pair of boots as the rocks can shred a new pair in a few days. Unless you are extremely lucky getting a legal Ram in these areas can take some superhuman efforts as far as hiking in past where everyone else does. I would not worry to much about the Grizzlies. Just bring what ever gun you want to use on sheep and call it good.....dgarrett

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.