264 Winchester

bigdumboy

I will be getting gun back from gunsmith by end of the month,have the bullets that i will use Berger 130 & 140 and some Nosler 129 lr going to use Nosler brass. I needed to pick the brain trust and vast knowledge of the members of the website to please help with powder choice. Any help will be greatly valued.

Thanks Dirk

Just Tagging in.

I'm getting a barrel re-chambered soon to 264WM. I've been doing some research for a while and it sounds like Retumbo is recommended for 140s and a 26" bbl is recommended.

yes it will have a 26 in. ss barrel in a ruger varmint contour its a little lighter than Remington varmint contour 1 to 9 twist rate no muzzle brake. Thanks for giving some views on your choice of powder. Thats one of the ones i was thinking about maybe some imr 7828ssc good luck with yours i will let you know how i make out if you remember tell me how you make out .

10-4.

I have some Winchester 7mm RM brass that I plan on necking down. But recently have had the chance to work with Norma brass for a different project and I am impressed with it's quality, so now I'm considering buying some Norma 264 WM brass and just using the Win. 7mag brass for my 7mags.

If it is listed in a even only sightly current manual, the powder is capable of more accuracy than you are. No one but you will have your rifle, so no one but you can tell you what it likes.
Want to pass your test, do your own homework.

He has spoken Len , shut the forum down because we are all on our own.
We ask for advice because there are often similar outcomes that may help fellow reloader developed a load without burning through 2/3rd of a barrel before we find something on our own.

If it is listed in a even only sightly current manual, the powder is capable of more accuracy than you are.QUOTE ]
INCORRECT. Every barrel I have ever owned wouldn't shoot half the powders listed worth a ****.

Right, which is why there are manuals giving said sage advice....
Or for those of us who did go to the trouble and expense to find-out ourselves, what is printed not just in the pretty pictures of a manual; now we should be required to pass any info along that could in any way save someone from actually working with their own rifle? I guess shooting isn't enjoyable to you, just another job?

Just like the manuals tell you if you actually read them, many powders will be wonderful. Your rifle will be somewhat different than another, so learn your rifle with your loading techniques.

Mine loves Retumbo and the 130 Accubond. It has a 27 3/4" 9 twist Shilen barrel and it does 3350 fps and sub MOA accuracy. I really like the 130 Accubond. It works the same on deer as close as 30 yards as it does at 500. Goes in expands and holds together and exits and deer are DRT.

Darkker.
The OP is clearly a reloader and I'm sure he has reloading manuals just like us. He is asking for advice on a powder choice.
Do you shoot a 264 WM? If so give us your best 264 WM powder and load so we can start lower and work up to that load.

Mine loves Retumbo and the 130 Accubond. It has a 27 3/4" 9 twist Shilen barrel and it does 3350 fps and sub MOA accuracy. I really like the 130 Accubond. It works the same on deer as close as 30 yards as it does at 500. Goes in expands and holds together and exits and deer are DRT.

Thank you. That helps.

Thanks that will get me started the 27 3/4 " barrel does that give you a true 26" barrel.
Does that make a difference compared to a 26" which I think gives you about 23 3/4 of bullet travel

I've been running 68gr of retumbo under a 140 in mine. Gives me just over 3200fps from a 26" tube and consistently shoots in the .3s or better if I'm on my game.

Mine likes 140gr Accubonds and either Retumbo or RE25, both powders give identical groups in my rifle. Barrel hasn't been run in yet, so very surprised it shoots so well, so early.

Cheers.
gun)

Dirk,

Don't overlook the Berger Team Techs, they have always been very helpful. There's a couple of them here and I'm sure they'll chime in as soon as they see this.

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.