264 Winchester Magnum

I finally shot that box of HMS Trophy Gold Extended Range Ammo, I was really disappointed
I chrony them is this is what I got:

Berger 264 140 gr. average velocity 2,760 fps
I have a 26" barrel. They group pretty well but with that velocity what's the point? I'm going to work up my own load cause that factory ammo sucked.

I finally shot that box of HMS Trophy Gold Extended Range Ammo, I was really disappointed
I chrony them is this is what I got:

Berger 264 140 gr. average velocity 2,760 fps
I have a 26" barrel. They group pretty well but with that velocity what's the point? I'm going to work up my own load cause that factory ammo sucked.
DANG that's weak.....................started to buy some of the HMS stuff the other day, won't now will roll my on to as well!!! Thanks for that info...

Well H870 was the best for the heavies in the 264wm, but its discontinued so Retumbo and US869 are your best bet with the nod to retumbo because us869 seems to be quite a bit temp sensitive. I haven't tried it but accurate 8700 may work well to as ramshot magnum may also.
I found 3lbs of H870 that I'll be trying here shortly after I try the Retumbo and 7828SSC!

I was thinking about purchasing a box of Nosler 130 gr custom ammo in the Accubond and use the chrony of that and see what the fps are. The website list them at 3,100fps. That ammo from HMS made me laugh cause it says extended range. At 2,760fps those rounds probably wouldn't break skin at 400yds. Lol

You can probably get to 3100/50 with a 26". I got up to 3200 with my 27" without pushing the load hard, but accuracy was down at 3100 - still plenty fast for me and won't burn the barrel up as quick.

Popapi
My model 700 CDL gets about 3180 out of the 26" factory tube and I know guys that are loading 69 gr of Retumbo so I think 3200 fps is very possible out of a 26" tube. I tried IMR4831, H1000 and RL22 but Retumbo gave me the most velocity with less pressure signs by far, and accuracy is great. IMO Retumbo is the go to powder in the 264 with 130-140 gr bullets.

I worked up a load using 68 grains of Retumbo, winchester brass and CCI magnum large rifle primer got 3,200 fps and 1" groups. Rifle seems to like Retumbo. Thanks everyone for the data.

Popapi
My model 700 CDL gets about 3180 out of the 26" factory tube and I know guys that are loading 69 gr of Retumbo so I think 3200 fps is very possible out of a 26" tube. I tried IMR4831, H1000 and RL22 but Retumbo gave me the most velocity with less pressure signs by far, and accuracy is great. IMO Retumbo is the go to powder in the 264 with 130-140 gr bullets.
Well I should do really well with Retumbo and the 26" Broughton with the 8 twist!!!!!!

I worked up a load using 68 grains of Retumbo, winchester brass and CCI magnum large rifle primer got 3,200 fps and 1" groups. Rifle seems to like Retumbo. Thanks everyone for the data.
That's awesome I found 3 lbs of H870 that I'll try along with the Retumbo and see how this rifle performs!!!!! Did you have any pressure salasj with the 68grns?????????

Last edited:
I have a .264 Win Mag & have never loaded 130 bullets but if you can't 3200 FPS+ or more something is wrong. Were talking about .270 Win performance at 3100 FPS & I don't think thats why I have a .264 Win Mag. I have been loading 120gr Nosler BT but when they run out thinking about Nosler 130gr AB or Sierra 123gr SMK or Hornadys 123gr A-Max just because of the high BC. But I don't know if the latter two will work on Deer. My only complant about 120gr Nosler BT at 3250 FPS is I almost cut a coyote in half at about 65YDS & disintegrated a jack rabbit at about 25 YDS you would of thought I was useing a hollow point & I always wounder what would of happened if I would of shot a Deer at close range. I will say that the Nosler 120gr BT has worked great on deer & antelope from 175 to a little over 500 YDS, it has worked perfect with no failures.

The reason the 120 BT disintegrated on those close shots is because your impact velocity was well over the max impact velocity that the bullet was designed to operate at which is 3000 fps. Those longer shots the bullet has slowed down below 3000 fps. I chose the 130 Accubond for that very reason. I was getting over 3600 fps with the 120 BT in my 264 Win mag with Retumbo. Because I get close in shots sometimes on deer I decided to forgo the 120 and go to the 130 AB. Wise choice I found out. It works superbly on close in and looooooooog range. I average 3350 fps with the 130 AB and Retumbo.

I was thinking about purchasing a box of Nosler 130 gr custom ammo in the Accubond and use the chrony of that and see what the fps are. The website list them at 3,100fps. That ammo from HMS made me laugh cause it says extended range. At 2,760fps those rounds probably wouldn't break skin at 400yds. Lol

Have you since (or anyone else for that matter) done any testing on those Trophy-Grade Nosler Custom 130 Accubond loads?

Do they perform... are the velocities and consistency downrange as good as Nosler claims them to be??

i shot 9 does last year doing crop damage with my 264 using 120 bts at 3200. Shot behind the shoulder they didnt ruin a bit of meat other then rib meat. Deer were shot between 150 and 450 yards and each and every one of them was dead on the spot. Only one i tore up was one i mistakenly held to high on at about 300 yards and hit in back bone. It about tore that little doe in half. If your one to take shoulder shots or are just a poor shot that cant put your bullet exacty where you want it and your worried about meat damage it may not be your bullet but then in that case the 264 might not be your best choise in a rifle. ANY high velocity bullet placed in the shoulder is going to for the most part destroy the shoulder. Over the years ive hear guys preach heavier is better but on a shoulder shot about all that will insure is both shoulder are destoryed

Well I should do really well with Retumbo and the 26" Broughton with the 8 twist!!!!!!

That's awesome I found 3 lbs of H870 that I'll try along with the Retumbo and see how this rifle performs!!!!! Did you have any pressure salasj with the 68grns?????????

No but 69 grns sure did! I just dropped it down to 68 and no pressure signs.

The reason the 120 BT disintegrated on those close shots is because your impact velocity was well over the max impact velocity that the bullet was designed to operate at which is 3000 fps. Those longer shots the bullet has slowed down below 3000 fps. I chose the 130 Accubond for that very reason. I was getting over 3600 fps with the 120 BT in my 264 Win mag with Retumbo. Because I get close in shots sometimes on deer I decided to forgo the 120 and go to the 130 AB. Wise choice I found out. It works superbly on close in and looooooooog range. I average 3350 fps with the 130 AB and Retumbo.

3600fps with the 120 is quite impressive, I was working toward 3,450, maybe 3,500 with H4831SC. I will give Reumbo a try, I have some now but was reserving it for 140's to test. I am not worried about damage, I like to "lung em", if real close I can usually wait for a good shot from a stand, or pop one with my 44 instead.

I realize my 26" may be a hair slower than your match chamber 27.5".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.