264 Winchester Mag Help

Autorotate19

I need some info on loading for the .264 win mag. Iv heard of a lot of people using retumbo, has anyone tried magnum? Im going to be shooting 140gr bergers if the 9 twist barrel will stabilize them. How much life can I expect out of the barrel if its kept clean and cool? Iv heard it can be pretty tempermental to find a load for. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

My 264 topped out with Retumbo @ 66gr with a 140gr. I have heard of people going much higher than that though.

The key to the 264 is slow powder. You may want to consider US869. Not as good a the old H870, but very consistent I found.

78gr US869 was MAX in my rifle with a 140gr.

I'd like to use something halfway temp stable. Where I hunt it can go from 70 to 20 in a day. I was looking at magnum because its a ball powder and its supposed to be less temp sensitive.

I opened mine up to 6.5mm-300 Win Mag

24 1/2" barrel. 1-8 twist. 80gr H870 + 140gr Accubond = 3300 FPS

_JAY6606.jpg

_JAY6697.jpg

The triangle group is 70gr RL25 + 140gr Accubond = 3250 FPS

_JAY6009.jpg

Never tried Magnum & never been worried about the temp issue myself. I test when the conditions are similar to what I am going to hunt in are.

My 264 Win mag, Rem 700 with a Shilen CM 27 3/4" barrel really likes Retumbo and 130 gr Nosler Accubonds. 66.5 grs Retumbo in a WW reformed from 7mm Rem mag case, CCI 250 primer, ten thousands off the lands gives me 3350 fps and one hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I killed 4 deer with it last fall from 98 to 275 yards. BANG FLOP. Retumbo is one of the Hodgdon extreme powders making it perfect for all types of conditions.

Like any of the overbore mags if you sit down and shoot paper and heat up the barrel a lot at about 1000 rounds your accuracy will start to go away. If you keep the barrel cool and clean, and depending on the barrel itself, and you just use it for a hunting rifle that now and then you check your zero shooting paper it will last you just as long as most any other overbore mag. For most people it will last them a life time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.