264 win or 6.5 284

archery nut

getting ready to do a re chamber which would be best , pretty much a whitetail and antelope hunter ....

Between the two and for your intended purpose, 6.5-284. Prepare yourself to get persuaded for anything other than your choices.
Hahahaha...this is the reason why I now have a 6.5x47 Lapua, a 6.5-284 Norma, and a Bartlein 6.5mm 5r blank sitting and waiting for a decision. Before last year, I hadn't given 6.5 anything a thought!

Hahahaha...this is the reason why I now have a 6.5x47 Lapua, a 6.5-284 Norma, and a Bartlein 6.5mm 5r blank sitting and waiting for a decision. Before last year, I hadn't given 6.5 anything a thought!

That's why you'll never catch me posting this kind of question as I can get myself into trouble without trying. I know exactly what you mean, I have a 6.5x55 Swede and earlier this month, a 6.5 CM was an addition to the arsenal.

If you have a long action mag bolt face, easy. Go with the .264 win mag, and I would twist it 7.5 so it will work with the 140's, but be perfect for the Berger 156 when it comes out, or will also shoot the 150 Sierra very well.

If you have a long action standard bolt face, easy. Go with the 6.5x284. Everything else I said still stands for this as well.

If you have a short action.....that changes things. Neither of those would be a good choice. Go .260 AI if you have a standard bolt face and want the same/similar performance as the 6.5x284 but will still fit in a short action. If you have a short action mag bolt face, go 6.5 GAP or 6.5 Sherman Shortmag and you will be more on par with the 264 win mag.

All of these will send 140 whatever's at over 3000 fps.

Tough choices, ha! My one and only 6.5x284 was purposely built on a Mod 700 SA with "only" the 120-130gr bullets in mind. The only brass available then was 284 Win brass that I necked down. I never got past Nosler 120/125s and it was a gee wiz deer/antelope/exotics killer! I wanted to experiment with something else so traded it off. I don't shoot at unwounded game past about 375yds, so don't go by me

Don't everybody all laugh at once i should have stated re chamber was i have a 6.5 Creed more that is brand new never fired ....and its a single shot sorry for the confusion . i want to have it re bored \ chambered . After researching all the reload manuals and ballistic charts i could find i want something more than a 6.5 Creed more .

you like that 6.5 Sherman, don't you?
I like anything that maximizes a given cartridge's potential. As someone who owns wildcats, I know the advantages of not only the velocity increase, but the case design, and the way it handles pressures. Most think it's just voodoo bullcrap, but until you've delved off deep into that realm, you won't understand. To an untrained eye, it might appear that that subtle differences are pointless, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Plus, Rich's design is VERY good one with his Sherman cartridges.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts