264 win or 6.5 284

Don't everybody all laugh at once i should have stated re chamber was i have a 6.5 Creed more that is brand new never fired ....and its a single shot sorry for the confusion . i want to have it re bored \ chambered . After researching all the reload manuals and ballistic charts i could find i want something more than a 6.5 Creed more .
What platform are you using for your single shot 6.5?

I like anything that maximizes a given cartridge's potential. As someone who owns wildcats, I know the advantages of not only the velocity increase, but the case design, and the way it handles pressures.

Plus, Rich's design is VERY good one with his Sherman cartridges.
I tend to agree with getting all you can out of a cartridge, but haven't convinced myself I'm ready for the added expense of getting custom dies for a wildcat cartridge, plus having to fire form everything...that would really chip away at my OCD and my need to have headstamped brass that matches the barrel markings. That 6.5 Sherman sure looks good though in pictures...haven't seen or shot one in person though.

Regardless of what people have been led to believe, even when using SAAMI standard cartridges and brass, you're still fire-forming the cases to your chamber. The only difference is, with wildcatting, yes, the custom dies are more expensive, but when it comes to fire-forming, you generally only have to take 2-3 extra steps for precision formed brass.

Rich sells the dies, rents the reamers, sells pre-formed brass, and soon should have his own proper head stamped brass for his Sherman cartridges.

...Before last year, I hadn't given 6.5 anything a thought!.......

They seem to be be replicating here as well.

The advice on paying attention to the twist is good.

Compatibility with the action necessary.

What the overall package looks like, and is intended for.

I would most likely use the 6.5x284, because if I was going to go magnum, I'd jump over the .264 Winchester for one of the bigger .264's out there.

didnt really expect all of this maybe i shouldnt have asked ......heres what i have i have a encore 6.5 creed barrel . i want more than that ...was think 264 win , but the 6.5 284 has been added to my thought ...ruling out the 6.5 rem mag , would like a 6.5 06 but im told it cant be done .... dont really understand that since case deminson in width are the same except for length .....so im left with the 2 options or just leave it a 6.5 ... its a 1n 8 twist 28"

didnt really expect all of this maybe i shouldnt have asked ......heres what i have i have a encore 6.5 creed barrel . i want more than that ...was think 264 win , but the 6.5 284 has been added to my thought ...ruling out the 6.5 rem mag , would like a 6.5 06 but im told it cant be done .... dont really understand that since case deminson in width are the same except for length .....so im left with the 2 options or just leave it a 6.5 ... its a 1n 8 twist 28"
A regular 6.5-06 cannot be built from a CM chamber, because the '06 case tapers too much at the same datum line where the CM's wall/shoulder junction is. You CAN however, bore it out to to most AI chambered '06 cases. And the 6.5 Sherman with no problems.

Take no chances, address your issues/concerns to someone that "actually" have real-world hands on experience, for starters >>>

https://www.bullberry.com/the-custom-order-process.

https://matchgrademachine.com/chambers-list/#65mm

Good luck!

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Whoops, did I inadvertently trigger you into insulting me because I happen to actually know the answer to his question, based on my own personal experiences with rechambering SA cartridge barrels into LA cartridges (remember .308 Win to .30-06 AI), and have done the numbers and math and the actual measurements with my own calipers?

Keep preaching about that humility. You're definitely proving that you're the one with the issues, not me, because I purposely try to avoid any interaction with you, while you continuously and purposely provoke, prod, and toss insults my way, just to get reaction from me, so you can sit on your self-inflated high-horse and pretend you're the better person.

thanks for the reply , i want to go with simplicity , i already have a 309 jdj pistol that i have too fire form .....and id rather buy brass and just resize after shooting .still not sure which one

......heres what i have i have a encore 6.5 creed barrel . i want more than that ...

I know nothing about Encore's, wouldn't replacing the barrel be simplest.

Have you looked at the replacement barrels, from E.Arthur. Brown.Company? Some standard, and non standard cartridges?

barrels from are e brown are factory and the odd calibers are made by him or outsourced .....T\C used to do 264 winnie out of the custom shop but when they got bought out ... all the custom stuff went out the door....i already have a 35 whelan in a factory barrel , i also have the 65 creed ... but the credd just doesnt give me what i want so rebore ...and there r only so many choices ....this is a research and development ... if i like the cal ... then ill build a custom bolt gun ...... i have a long range sml that i hunt with already it shoots a 275 grain bullet at 3000 fps which is quite capable of shooting 100o yrds but i really don't want to drag a 14 rifle around Wyoming next yr antelope hunting .

:rolleyes: Whoops, did I inadvertently trigger you into insulting me because I happen to actually know the answer to his question, based on my own personal experiences with rechambering SA cartridge barrels into LA cartridges (remember .308 Win to .30-06 AI), and have done the numbers and math and the actual measurements with my own calipers?

Keep preaching about that humility. You're definitely proving that you're the one with the issues, not me, because I purposely try to avoid any interaction with you, while you continuously and purposely provoke, prod, and toss insults my way, just to get reaction from me, so you can sit on your self-inflated high-horse and pretend you're the better person.

I could care less what you think, know, feel, or what measurement you took, unless you solve world hunger, I am concern about what the OP "really" wants to do. As HARPERC noted, that would be my course of action, but I did not want to speculate anything with bits of new information surfacing each post changing directions from initial post and as you can see in his #24 post, uncertainty exist. In addition, he wants simplicity, not 6.5 Sherman (sorry Rich, you know I have the utmost respect to you and what you've done with your cats). Unlike you, I am not smart enough to solve uncertainties. Despite what you think and believe yourself to be, going direct to the sources I provided is the less painful and easier route. My responses has always been the direct route and in the boundaries of the OP's choices as per my initial response.

Only Snowflakes considers my post as an insult, I do not have problem expressing how I feel as indicative of my opening statement, especially now and to people like you.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts