.264 Win Mag

Terry Scott

Ok so I know what a 264 WM is "supposed" to do with a 140 gr bullet. Anyone care to share what their fstest most accurate velocities? I would like to get 3300 FPS from a 26 inch barrel.
Please let me know if you have done this...or perhaps more
Thanks

Ihave a Ruger 264 with a zytel stock, and have come to the realization that a 140 grn bullet isn't always the best way to go. I have worked up loads for 120, 125 and 130 grn bullets. I have killed deer from 50 to 313 yds. Killed on impact and devestating. As of two weeks ago I began tests with Barnes "X" 130 grn originals. With 63.0 grns of IMR-4831 My chrono read 3523, with no signs of preasure. I settled on 62.5 IMR-4831 for 3450fps. .5 inch groups @100 yds. Hope this helps.

I couldnt get 140's to group consistently (only tried vld's) in my stock barrel. I did get 130 grain accubonds to shoot 0.75" at 100 yards. Unfortunatley, the accuracy load only gave me a velocity of 3065 fps (+/- 15' from the muzzle). It's not bad, but if I would be satisfied with that from a 130 grain bullet, I wouldn't have got the 264. So, I'm saving to buy a Lilja barrel in a faster twist and have it chambered for the long 140 grain vld's. I would be very happy with an accurate load that would give me around 3200 fps with the 140 vld. Sometimes, you just get one that likes slower loads. I even worked up a load with 120 grain ballistic tips. At 2950 fps, I shot a 3-shot group of roughly 0.65" at 200 yards. However, with even a half grain more of powder accuracy went to pot! Long story short, the 264WM is, in my opinion, capable of plumb awesome ballistics with the 140 grain bullets. You just need a barrel that likes them.

I purchased a mint 2nd hand Remington 700 .264WM a few months ago. It has the factory 1 in 9" S/S 24" barrel and narrow forend stock and I love it. I also believe people like to give this cartridge attributes it does not possess.

I achieve from that 24" barrel a safe and accurate 3,014fps with 140 Woodleighs over 66 grains of AR- 2213sc (H-4831sc).

Boulia027.jpg

Where this rifle really shines is with 129 grain projectiles (Interbonds and SST's so far) over 68 of the same powder for 3,156 fps. This load I plan to use for Springbok in 2014 and similar gazelle/antelpe/deer up to 75kg live weight. This is the niche the .264WM excells at.

I have a 1 in 8" twist, 26" #4 Pac-Nor Super Match grade barrel ready to install but it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

Last edited:
Ok so I know what a 264 WM is "supposed" to do with a 140 gr bullet. Anyone care to share what their fstest most accurate velocities? I would like to get 3300 FPS from a 26 inch barrel.
Please let me know if you have done this...or perhaps more
Thanks

I agree with 6.5 express, good luck with 3300 fps, yeah you will get it with a flat primer, ejector wipe on the brass and stiff bolt lift. I really only think a guy should count on 3100 fps with a 140 if that, look at all the published data on the 264 win mag, NONE of it shows a 140 even cracking 3 grand. the 264 win mag is one of the most finicky rounds I have ever played with, and I have played with 2 rifles.

Speed is not all it's cracked up to be. I don't get on these forums much anymore because it seems like someone always tells me I'm a dumb *** when I do, BUT after shooting a .264 for 35 years and building my first long range turret for one out of a wooden thread spool 30 years ago I thought I might be able to offer a bit of insight.
I have since upgraded to a mark 4 scope and a swarovski rangefinder, the need for speed has diminished greatly. I currently shoot 59.7 grns of h4831 sc, a wlr primer and wichester brass with a 140smk. The load shoots 12 fps e.s. and .3 @ 100 and a bit over 3 at 500, velocity is 2955 @ 10' from the muzzle. The rifle and load has accounted for many ONE shot kills out to 1000 yards and barrel life is greatly extended by keeping below the 3000 mark.
You don't need to shoot 3300, find a load that shoots good .3 or .4 with a low e.s. go hunting and let the other guys stroke themselves about velocity. You will be packing home the meat and your barrel will last years longer.

264 rem bdl my favorite deer rifle. here in Oklahoma we have small deer so I
only use 100 btips at 3680 fps. I never shoot for lung heart shot I shoot for above shoulder and below the spine drops them in their tracts every time
very little meat damage. 85's go at 3812 fps I have used them too.

I agree with 6.5 express, good luck with 3300 fps, yeah you will get it with a flat primer, ejector wipe on the brass and stiff bolt lift. I really only think a guy should count on 3100 fps with a 140 if that, look at all the published data on the 264 win mag, NONE of it shows a 140 even cracking 3 grand. the 264 win mag is one of the most finicky rounds I have ever played with, and I have played with 2 rifles.
the 264 of today
is decidedly not the 264 of 50 yrs ago when I carried one for 25yrs and reloaded for it. Todays published loadings are "lawyer safe" and wholly unlike the loadings of 1971before anyone knew the calibre would lose steam after the revelation that the bullets were all "dual diameter". So get yourself a 50 yo reloading maanual or not, but nevertheless load safe and work up to 3300. It can be done with129 gr. Work up slow. Good luck and be safe.

So true for the old books I lost all my 1960 books in a fire still miss them.
most people don't even know there was a 2 diameter bullet ever made
they were the first low drag bullet on the market. wish they still made them.

Last edited:
I'm getting 3265 fps out of a Broughton 8 twist 28 inch barrel with 140 Bergers, 68.5 gr of Retumbo, WW cases, Fed 215m primers. I think I could push it to 3300 fps but case life would be very short, also it's a 28 inch barrel not a 26 inch like you requested, group size is 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.

I'm getting 3265 fps out of a Broughton 8 twist 28 inch barrel with 140 Bergers, 68.5 gr of Retumbo, WW cases, Fed 215m primers. I think I could push it to 3300 fps but case life would be very short, also it's a 28 inch barrel not a 26 inch like you requested, group size is 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.

Pretty close to what I get. Mine is a 28" shilen on a model 70 action. With retumbo I have yet to reach 3300 with a 140gr Berger before pressure signs start showing. If I remember right 3280 was about as fast as I got.

I"m working on a load for my .264 WM in a Sendero II right now and am using Sierra 140 MK's, Retumbo, Federal 215M's and Nosler Brass. We will see where it goes. Right now I'm at 65 grains and no pressure signs. My plan is to take it to where I just get a bit of sticky bolt and then back off about 1.5 grains. Haven't gotten there yet. Primer pockets tight and no signs of pressure. Crono read just over 3000 fps but groups are just inside an inch and I'm hoping it tightens up a bit as pressures go up. Should get some time here in the next week to finish up and will let you know where I end up at. If it does not work then I will try H1000. I also would like to get to 3200 or there abouts. Its why I bought it, otherwise I would of bought a 6.5284.

I think you wish you went 6.5-284, magpro and ramshot magnum got me to 3200 fps but accuracy sucked. nothing else would get me there witha 26" barrel. h870 would, but good luck finding it. I have a 4# jug of h870 that a local guy needs to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts