264 Win. Mag

I never tried 4350 but I tried IMR4831, Re22 and H1000 and couldn't get the velocity I wanted withany of them. I'm loading 68.4 grains of Retumbo, WW cases, 215M primers with 140 grain Bergers in my 1 in 8, 27 1/2" 5c Broughton and getting 3225 fps. The same load in my Rem CDL with a 26 inch barrel shoots 3150 fps, the load is safe in both of my rifles.

Don: That 140 VLD combo is deadly on what I have seen with whitetails and muleys. I would think the 140 VLD would also make an elk or moose lay down and die quickly, do you guys have hunting experience with this caliber/bullet combo with them?

Its proven very effective on elk and between all the guys here we've lost count, but its a big number of elk taken with it. Not as much moose experience, but I wouldn't hesitate. We use the 7mag with 180s quite a bit, but some of the guys here purposely choose the 264.

I noticed that Retumbo is listed as one of the "Extreme" powders, therefore more temperature stable than other powders. I hope that is the case.

Never get tired of hearing war stories of the 264!! Yeah...I'm sure I'm the only one for 200 miles that has a that caliber but he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about:cool:

I've actually been looking for some Retumbo at my local shops and not been able to find it....Just finished loading a block with IMR 4831, 15 thou. off the lands with 6 loads low to high to see if there's anything my gun likes.
I'm shooting a 26" Model 70 (post 64).

Good to hear the good word about the Nosler AB.

Junkie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.