264 win mag

Levi

I am thinking of putting together a 264 for a long range deer gun. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of this cartridge? I have heard that this caliber can be a bit of a barrel burner, is this true or just a ugly rumor? I am very interested in all of your opionions.
Thanks,
Levi

Depends how you shoot it. Are you going to load her dragon hot? Are you going to shoot 20 shot groups in 2 minutes? Do you plan on shooting 500 rounds a year?

Do the above and she might see 2 deer seasons. Treat her right and you may have a big game rifle that will last at least a decade.

I had one, decided the 260 AI burned alot less powder per shot, was very accurate, and wasn't giving up a great deal in performance with same length barrels.

Thanks alot Coyboy,
I think that I am going to put a Broughton 28 inch barrel on the gun. I am looking trying to push a 130 at around 3300, I dont think that I should have to load it to hot inorder to accomplish those kinds of speeds. I have Heard that aslong as you keep them clean and dont let the barrel heat up durring practic session the barrel life should be comprable to any of the ultra-mags.
I would love to hear from some guys that are currentlyshooting, or have shot a 264 to give me some insight!

Levi

Levi, I have a FN Mauser with a 26" Shilen barrel in 264Win that I load 129 Hornady bullets in and chrono the load at about 3200 ft/sec. This is not a hotrod load but it is about max for this rifle. With two more inches of barrel 3300 shouldn't be hard to achieve, IMO. The barrel on my 264 is kind of slender and it will shoot .5 MOA on a good day but I have more accurate rifles in the pool. I think if my Mauser wore a stouter barrel it might be more accurate but as is it is plenty good enough for most hunting situations.

Levi, I looked in my load log, My 264 win was a 26" rem 700. I used barnes blue bullets 120 and 140. I shot the Barnes load manual max in each bullet weight. I got 3311fps with the 120 grain bullets, and 3115 with the 140 grainers. Good luck with your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.