264 win mag

BigA1976

Hey guys,just got a Winchester model 70 in .264 Win Mag. What is a good round for whitetails up to around 300 yards?? Thanks!

thanks guys. was just about to ask about the VLDs. I am planning on reloading. have my pops old RCBS equipment,just need a press. and also,can I really squeeze in that much accuracy handloading???

can I really squeeze in that much accuracy handloading???

Your mileage may vary, but I have easily exceeded factory accuracy with every rifle I have reloaded for. The degree of control you get by being able to tweak each and every variable in a load makes a huge difference.

If you are just going to be shooting up to 300 yards then the old Winchester 140 gr factory load will do fine for deer. Yes you most likely can improve accuracy a lot with handloads. I have a custom 27 3/4" Shilen barrel Rem 700 264 Win mag that shoots under 1/2 MOA with 130 gr Nosler Accubonds pushed with Retumbo to 3350 fps muzzle velocity. Talk about shooting flat and hitting hard. First deer I shot right at 500 yards away across a NC green soybean field went down dead as a hammer so quick I like to never found it. The buck popped into the field at a trot following a hot doe and he stopped for just a second giving me the shot. After I shot him I thought to myself now just exactly where was he standing when I shot. :rolleyes: Those green waste high soybeans are just an ocean of green. I walked back and forth about an hour until I actually stepped on the buck. That bullet got to that deer the fastest of any round I have ever squeezed the trigger on. I heard the bullet POP almost immediately after the report of the rifle. BOOM POP and empty field. I have killed 20+, lost count, deer with this rifle in the past 4 years and all have been DRT. I traded my hunting buddy out of this rifle. He never keeps anything very long. He had this rifle built and just got it a few days before deer season and just tried it out with some factory WW 140 gr loads and it shot about 1" at 100. He killed a few deer with this load from about 100 out to a little over 300 yards and all were DRT. I had a rifle that was a safe queen that he wanted so we traded.

I've shot whitetails with several different cartridges ranging from 22-250 to 300 Win Mag. Bullet placement is the most important part. Nothing I have hit them with has flattened them like a 264 Win Mag shooting a 120gr Nosler BT right behind the shoulder. It's literally like turning off a light switch! My first 264 Mag was a Winchester model 70 with 24" barrel and it loved 59grs of IMR 4350 behind the 120gr BT and CCI 250 primer. My newest 264 is a Remington 700 and it prefers Retumbo.

There is a lot of bullets in 6.5 that work well in the 264WM. I have taken a lot of white tail and muleys with the 100gr sierra HP. with 72gr of H4831 pushing them. I have a Remington 721 and also had a Win model 70 and both were very accurate with the factory barrels. No longer have the Win but still shoot the Remington but added a new 30" Shilen barrel in 2010. I bought the Remington in 1963 for $60 and never looked back.

BIGA- my brother has two .264s. it is a great round. out here whitetail are dinks. 65-75 pounds dressed out. are you shooting bigger 350 lb ones like in saskachewan? a lot of great bullets available in .264

BIGA- my brother has two .264s. it is a great round. out here whitetail are dinks. 65-75 pounds dressed out. are you shooting bigger 350 lb ones like in saskachewan? a lot of great bullets available in .264
Two of the larger bucks that I weighted field dressed with head, hide and legs removed weighed 209 at the butcher shop. Butcher was good friend so honest weight.

For 300 yard work on whitetails a good conventional 130-140gr expanding bullet factory or hancloaded would be deadly on any whitetail or mule deer in North America, large or small.

If you load the 130gr JLK VLD bullet to 3249 fps with zero at 250 yards it is 2.1 inches high at mid range and 2.6 inches low at 300 which is very flat and gives you point bland from 0 to 300 yards with 2243 ft lbs of energy at 300 yards and it is still moving 2788 fps.