264 win mag

skma

hello there, just got myself a 264 model 70 lightweight. imm sure in the 562 pages here there must b some info on this cali, just hoping some1 well steer me in the right direction, with bullet selection as well as powder,as i do reload. up north here i well b hunting moose, mule deer,etc....thank u all for reading this :) hopefully this is the right spot for asking:)

I used IMR-4350 for years and recently I tried some Retumbo and man did it ever wake my 264 Win up. If you want one load for everything I would get 130 gr Accubonds and Retumbo, I think you will like it.

i would use h-4831 short cut and 215 mag primers up there. i would start with a 129 partition.

I worked up a load with 120 ttsx, retumbo and fed215gm primers. I am shooting the ttsx 30 off the lands at 3400fps out of a 27" Lilja 9 twist. Be careful working a load up 1 grain can **** near show you a blown primer. Depending on bullet weight most guys are around 63-69 grains, but please work up carefully.

I used a .264 for a long range match rifle with 4831 or H870 powder. Shot under 1 MOA at 1000 easily, for 640 rounds. Then went to hell in a handbasket as the throat had eroded too far to let the case hold bullets against the lands. Accuracy went to 3 MOA at that point in firing only 10 shots. Otherwise, it's a great cartridge.

Like other way over bore capacity cartridges, they tend to lose accuracy with hot loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.