264 Win Mag, Which Bullet?

Autorotate19

Iv got a .264 win mag sendero on the way. I'm going to use it for long range coyotes, mule deer, and antelope out to 1,000 yards eventually. Iv been looking at the 140gr berger vld and the 142 smk. I don't know if the smk will expand in smaller calibers, so I was hoping you guys could answer that. Iv heard the .264 can be kinda finicky to load for so I was looking for any tips or suggestions. I was going to order nosler brass, redding normal fl sizing die and st die. Thanks

My best hunting results are with the 130 grain swift sciroco .572 bc. It is a good quality hunting bullet with good balistics. I use it in my 264 Gibbs, 264 win mag, and 264 STW. It also worked well in my 6.5-300 wsm but I sold that one. Run the numbers on it and see what you think.

What velocity can I expect out of the 26" barrel with the 130's and 140's. I guess Im asking what should I plug into the ballistic program for each? Thanks

I used the 130 Accubond with 66.5 grs Retumbo and get 3350 fps from my 27 3/4" barrel. It really did a good job on the 4 deer that I took with it this past fall from 98 to 275 yards. You should be able to get 3250 fps with the 130 and 3100 to 3150 with the 140's from your 26". I got 3600 fps with 120 BT's with Retumbo.

What's the secret to getting a 130gr Swift to shoot? I have never had any luck in the accuracy department with it?
That's WHAT I want to know.........geez I couldn't get them to shoot in 2 rifles, and I'd hate to do developement with them in the 264WinMag due to wear and tear on the throat.

Thats also what Im worried about. I dont want to shoot 100 rounds to find a load due to wear. I know the bergers can be tempermental also. Do you think the ballistic tips or the accubonds will be easier to load for accuracy? Thanks for all the help!

I would give the 130 Accubond a try. Mine really shoots 10 thousands off the lands. Mine shoots with this load. 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250, WW case reformed from 7mm Rem Mag, 130 Accubond. 3350 fps from 27 3/4" Shilen 9 twist barrel.

At the high velocity a 120 ballistic tip will be moving it really will blow up on shots 150 yards or so in. The Accubond really holds together but it expands perfectly. I recovered on from a deer shot at 111 yards. It was shot in the edge of the left front shoulder as it slightly quartering faced me. I found the bullet in it's ham and it was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. That bullet had to be still doing over 3200 fps on impact.

Try jumping the sciroccos around 30 thou. This is what I was told from a distributor. My 6.5-284 shoots 130 sciroccos at 3050 f/s into <0.4 MOA with a 30 thou jump and 52 grn of ADI2209 (I think from memory). Love these bullets, they work supurb on red stags out to 200 m so far. Hope that helps

I ran the numbers and from what I can tell if chamber pressure is all equal, I get better ballistics out of the 130gr scirocco compared to the 140gr berger out to 1,000 yards. The BC on the accubonds is nowhere near the berger or the scirocco. I know bc isn't everything though but it sure helps.

Berger's are temperamental ?
I have shot Berger's in 7 different rifles and they were always easy to do load developement with, and are tack drivers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.